• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Climmax Beads and diff waters

sir-smokes-a-lot

A Freudian Slip in progress
So once again it was the magical time to moisten my climax beads to help control humidity today.
Sadly, I was all out of distilled water so I ran over to the science dept. By some dumb luck they were out of it too, but they had deionized water in. fig they were pretty much the same thing, so grabbed a bottle of it instead.

so I went home and wetted my beads. tho as I did that, noticed a rand citrus smell coming from them.

checking both of my 100ct humis, noticed a slight citrus smell in both of them.

my quesiton:
what does this mean?
are they working fine and this is just some weird byproduct of deionized water?
are my beads ruined [and by association, all cigars inside]?

thanks.
:)

Here's a rundown on some differences between the two types of water:

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasci/chem00/chem00223.htm

Basically, deionized water can (and usually does) still have inorganic and/or organic impurities in it as the deionizing process only removes ions. Most likely, one of these impurities reacted with something in the beads to cause the smell. Not sure how to fix the problem (can beads be washed?).

Obviously, in the future I would stick to distilled water as the distillation process removes ALL impurities. Sorry I can't be more help....

sir-smokes-a-lot said:
so I went home and wetted my beads. tho as I did that, noticed a rand citrus smell coming from them.
[snapback]185369[/snapback]​

Must not charge beads with OJ. :whistling:

First and most important your cigars are not ruined.

Deionized water is not good for use in recharging beads, it does still have organic and inorganic impurities in the water. Rinse the beads a few times in distilled water and then dry them out with a hair blow dryer. When they are dry recharge them with about 1/6 cup of distilled water per pound of beads. Let them recover for a few days then add another 1/6 cup of distilled water. The smell should go away and the beads should be OK.

Also, if you are using a container like a leftover dish, clean out the dish carefully once in a while to get the impurities that float into the dish from your humi. Again use only distilled water and no soap of any kind.

There is no need to wet the beads directly. Just put some water in a shot glass or similar in your humi and the beads will take care of the rest.

You don't need to use distilled water on the beads you can use reg. tap water.

Bobbyson1a said:
You don't need to use distilled water on the beads you can use reg. tap water.
[snapback]185607[/snapback]​
hmmm...
I don't doubt that beads would still "work", technically, using tap water, but to keep the impurities contained in tap water out of the environment of one's humidor, distilled is the best way to go.

using only distilled water would also seem to least inhibit the long-term ability for the beads to do their job, being that they'd not accumulate the impurity deposits from non-distilled water.

It's best to use distilled water. I don't see why this is such a big deal. Nearly every grocery store has it for a buck or so a gallon :rolleyes:

Actually looking at the instructions and remembering the past posts of Viper.If you use regular tap water it will clog the small pores in the beads and they will work incorrectly or not at all.And like Lucas said its very easy to find distilled at the grocery store.Except in SSAL's case :)

ree ree robusto said:
Maybe it wasn't deionized water ? :0
[snapback]185387[/snapback]​

well unless our chemistry dept. on campus doesn't know how to lable things, it was distilled water.

And yes, did go to the grocery store. Just didn't want to walk the 1.5miles when I can walk 2 blocks to the chem dept.

Lazy college student!

Now send me a 8 pack of Sprecher root beer and I'll forgive your lazy comment!

:laugh:

You do not want to use tap water. As the water evaporates the minerals and bacteria that is in tap water remains in the beads. Over time the contamination will make the beads ineffective due to the beads becoming clogged with the contaminates.

bfreebern said:
Lazy college student!

[snapback]187247[/snapback]​

Hangovers make life sooo much harder :D

bfreebern said:
Lazy college student!

[snapback]187247[/snapback]​

You like Specher and can't get it by you, Brandon? I thought it was everywhere...

Sorry for the threadjack....

Carry on....