• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cob pipes

puros_bran

Alot of smokers act as though a cob is an inferior pipe.I contend that for pure pleasure they are hard to beat. Pro's of a cob include 1)Price 2)No break in 3)Little or no absorbtion. 4)Almost indestructable 5) General Macarthur smoked one

1) Price
You cant find a better value in the pipe world $2-5 depending on where you shop. At that price you can keep 3 or 4 in the house,in the car,at work, in the garage basically anywhere you might choose to smoke. Think of this You sit your cob down forget about it and its gone...big deal..someone swipes it?...big deal..Falls out your window when you knock your ash out(dont do this at home folks)...big deal your out 4 bucks Any of that happens to your new "alchemist" what are you out? What about that Bosi freehand?? it would suck big time. Price alone could sell the pig of the pipe world
2) No break in
Some of us fortunate ones scored some decent to awesome pipes this fathersday. Now we begin the Process of break in. Lets face it, it sucks! 1/4 bowl method.. whole bowl method..honey method it doesnt matter breaking in a new pipe is NOT a joy. Now if the "kids" (who borrowed your money anyway)had bought you a cob and a tin of sombranie (would have cost about the same) you could fire that precious commodity up. Remember Cobs like meershaum need NO break in...oh the joy of cob
3) No absorbtion
A cob absorbs little to none of the flavor of your tobacco. Meaning you get a fuller flavor from your smoking experiance.And switching from a latakia bombshell to a VaPer doesnt really screw ya up Hell I even switched back and forth between penzance and the Altadis sampler. Try that with Briar.
4)Almost Indestuctable
Dropped a cob of the top of my tank truck..know what happened? my ash fell out and I had to retamp the baccy in it,Had that been a meer it'd be gone..Had it been one of my briars(yes i got em. Dont hate em just pay my respect to the cob) at best a scratched up pipe more likely a cracked bowl or busted off shank. My step Dad actually drove over one with his car nothing happened. think it was a fluke still have a hard time believing nothing happened but as cheap as they are I cant willingfully try to destroy a pipe
5) General Macarthur smoked em
My point being if ole Mac could smoke em in the spotlight of the world and the history books I can smoke one in front of the slobs and bums I know. Would I take one to a Formal dinner? well probably but I like to agitate the stiffs.Would I suggest you take one over your Dunhill? Certainlly Not! I like a chromed out Pete (own one, well it aint chromed out but it is a pete..lol) but I wouldnt suggest you drive that truck up to the Black tie dinner either. My point is aint no shame in it! Just know the limits

I am not suggesting its the best pipe in the world but I am tired of hearing "I dont want to start with a cob" or "all i have are cobs" etc etc Like I said aint no shame in it. Its a damn fine smoker Nuff said Now get out there and puff

Semper Fi

When in doubt call in a airstrike

Poor poor Puros and his cob pipe agenda. I will stick to my briars thank you. :D Since I never drop a pipe, misplace it, forget it, or anything else. Plus, you can get cheap Meershaums off Ebay for $5. :p

Plus, you can get cheap Meershaums off Ebay for $5. :p
I bought one of those. Didn't smoke very well and the shank is breaking off in pieces. As for cobs, I've been tempted, but my friends always smoked pot out of them, so I have a negative connotation. But I'm sure they are just fine.

Hey I have my expensive brairs, my expensive meerschaums and then I have several cob pipes. I love the cob pipes and smoke them more than all the rest!! What can I say :D

Shadowryder1

cooincidentally, i just had my first cob experience last weekend.

my best buddy smokes cigarettes & i'm trying to get him to quit. i got him a small humi & put some beads & smokes in it for him, gave him half of my pipe tobaccy (prolly 4-5 lbs.).

i had told him to get a cob pipe, but i think he felt they were hokey.

so i bought 2 cob pipes and invited him over and gave him all the stuff.

i kept the one cob for myself, so he wouldn't feel hokey anymore, knowing that i had one too.

the funny thing:

i was SHOCKED at how well the cob smoked on the first try. so was he.

now i'm glad i got one for me too!!

Came across this deal today at a site I often check.

"Includes: 5 Pipes - Missouri Pride, Ozark Mountain,
Country Gentlemen, Great Dane & General, and
5 Stems"