• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cognac

blair

My wife just brought home a bottle of cognac for me. It reads "Alize." The problem is, I have no idea what to do with it. Is cognac meant to be had straight? On rocks? Mixed with something? It is 40%. To me, that sounds a bit strong to be had straight; but, I'm tough :lookup: . Does anyone here particularly like (or particularly dislike) cognac?

Alize, either the red or orange, is already mixed with a fruit juice blend. Put it on the rocks and drink it. Otherwise it is the perfect floater for frozen drinks...

Emo

A lot of Europeans drink Cognac and they drink it on the rocks as brother Emo said..... :D :thumbs: :p

It is, in color, orange. But, it doesn't actually say red or orange on the bottle anywhere.

Either one of them is decent. But it is fruity. Not sickly sweet fruity, but fruity none the less. Don't mix it with beer...Ewwww

Cognac is great for a late night drink with a nice strong cigar. My choice is Courvoisier Cognac XO. You can mix cognac too, I like it with beer (stop the laughter!) Check out this site Blair - Cognac Drinks

Mmmm. It's not too bad! I believe that it does taste a little fruity.

blair said:
Is Alize any good compared to other brands?
If you have a fruity flavor and no straight Cognac, then it isn't worth sipping straight... But it seems to mix well

Captain B said:
Cognac is great for a late night drink with a nice strong cigar. My choice is Courvoisier Cognac XO. You can mix cognac too, I like it with beer (stop the laughter!) Check out this site Blair - Cognac Drinks
Very cool. Thanks Captain. :thumbs:

"Courvoisier Cognac XO" Now that is a great choice, perfect after a big dinner with your cigar. :thumbs:

Alize is what rappers drink. It used to be an expensive niche bererage which has gone more mainstream in the urban population thanks to references in hip-hop lyrics.

I have had it two ways, on the rocks and mixed with 7up (it is better w/ Sprite).

Had Courvoisier, either V.S. or V.S.O.P.
not in my top five drinks, but pretty tasty all the same.

:thumbs:

YUUUUUUUCK!!!!!! Don't drink that stuff blair!!!!!

Go to Beverages and More and shell out 125 $ for a bottle of Hennesy XO! Now that is HANDS DOWN the best, thickest, tastiest, smoothest cognac out there. Martell XO comes in as a close second and then Courvoisier XO and Remmy Martin XO follow in third. (Whew, sometimes the Remmy has a bite. I have been wanting to try the Remmy Congnac Extra (about $ 350 a bottle) or the Louis the XIII (about 1.300 $ a bottle :0 ) but I havent had the extra $$$ to waste on that.

After all of that, I recomend you throw that alize away and grab some nice cognac, not that mixed B.S.

:thumbs:

P.S. get a Snifter (??? is that right) or a "gift pack" that comes with a cognac glass (or 2) that way you can get the full effect while you drink it (smell has a LOT to do w/it)

Hmmmmm, might be called a snort??? I dunno, but ENJOY!!!!!

Phil

You mean you American dont drink Cognac to your cigars?That´s strange i must say if so.... Its like Husband and wife, Black and white Snow and snowman, milk and cookies, Hamburger and fries.... and so on....

Azon,

Most of my Cigar friends drink single malt with their smokes, cognac isn't as popular but I do like Gautier XO "PINAR DEL RIO" Cigar Blend once in a while.

Blair,
Nice choice cognac is very nice after dinner drink but one I think you need to acquire a taste for :D My preference is to sip it straight up. Good congnac are generally higher priced so I don't want to overshadow the true taste with some mix.

My suggestion is to try it in a variety of different ways and find the one that you and your wife like best.

BenjieV :D

Taste is subjective- and thats the truth.

Little bit of a long story: My dad years and years ago bought a bottle of Remy Martin Louis Tres for $500, before it sky rocketed in price in the late 80's early 90's. The bottle is beautiful, baccarat crystal. He also bought some Remy Martin XO (I forget what that sold for then, I know now its about $140/bottle)... I was much younger and tried it and thought it was nasty. Way too strong, bitter and not good. I was a Vodka drinker.

So later when I matured, had a good job, some extra money and started smoking cigars- I thought WTF- I'm gonna buy me a bottle of Remy Martin. I went on this craze for baccarat crystal, bought a few empty bottles- Scored a bottle of Louis Tres for $900, bought 2 bottles of Remy XO for $200/pair, to fill my other crystal bottles- I was the MAN! Had some friends over one night- poured some Cognac into the snifter, let it breathe a bit- sipped on it... Nearly lost my lunch right there. Had tried the Louis, XO and some el-cheepo brandy* and get the same results... I simply don't like the stuff- and it don't matter if it costs $20 or $2000! Its crap to me.

*Factoid: Cognac can be called Brandy- But a BRANDY can not be called a COGNAC. Cognac means it was made from fruit from the COGNAC region of france- where BRANDY being the same basic thing is made from fruits NOT from the region. Just like Champagne can be called a sparkling wine, but sparkling wine can not be called CHAMPAGNE (same reason, the fruit used is from the CHAMPAGNE region of france). What can I tell ya, my dad was a big drinker when I was younger and I picked up all this useless crap... In fact, my dad is still a big drinker.

:thumbs: Toaster