• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba alternative

chg

As you can see I'm fairly new here. I was away on holiday and found enjoyment of siglo's. I was wondering if there were any opinions of NC's that are very similar in the pre-burn smell, creamy smoke and smooth flavor. I've read the rules and out of respect for those here not asking any obtuse questions this early in the game. I would like an easy to pickup alternative until I have the trust and respect of those here.

I hope this is located in the correct sub-forum as it was a tossup between this one and the normal one.

Thanks
J

You are correct. Rarely do you find a siglo that is bad but for the complexity and strength, I think there are cheaper, better smokes out there that finish well too.

Honestly any lighter, clean smoke on the market can compare to the siglos. Are you looking for another Cuban?

Actually I would take suggestions on NC or CC. I just enjoy a good cigar and feel to only smoke one is limiting myself to possibly missing a treasure. I haven't been heavily into the hobby in a few years but never gave up a stash. I'm just not quite sure what would compare to a siglo in CC or NC and that's why I defer to anyone willing to pass some recommendations to me. I maybe headed to a BM in then next week or so so I'm making a list to pickup.

On a side note I'm happy to report I passed my old desktop humi onto my Father and am going to be getting him setup in the next couple of weeks . He enjoyed a siglo as a late fathers day gift this year as I was out of the area.

Thanks All

I'd say just pick up a box of Siglo IIs. They have all of the best characteristics in the Siglo line, with a small price point.

You also can't go wrong with the Cohiba Robusto, but that's just me ;)

If you enjoy the Siglo line, I'd say buy them. Like others here, I'm a big fan of the IIs.

Looking for an NC that tastes like a Sig II is going to be frustrating; much like trying to find a Cuban stick that smokes like a Nicaruagan puro. They're two different animals.

Sounds like some sound advice on the siglo line....

Are there any recommendations for anything smooth and creamy in the other CC brands? I see a lot of fan fare for the PSD4's. I'm working on a list to watch out for as I'm hopefully welcomed here or as travel allows.

Are there any recommendations for anything smooth and creamy in the other CC brands? I see a lot of fan fare for the PSD4's. I'm working on a list to watch out for as I'm hopefully welcomed here or as travel allows.

Welcome to the board.

For smooth and creamy I would recommend the H. Upmann Magnum 46. It has been smoking brilliantly ROTT since late '08. The mid rg H. Upmanns have been very smooth and balanced cigars in '09. I also enjoy the VR Famosos for creaminess with a bit more strength. I have always enjoyed the ERDM Choix Supreme, but the early '10 boxes need to sit and air out a bit more before these cigars are optimal.

Lots of great Habanos right now. Enjoy your smokes.

Cheers
Drew P

The PSD4 are a very nice smoke for CCs and the price IMHO. I would get some more of those before the quality goes down on them.

I personally would go with H. Upmann Connossieur No. 1 if you are looking for creamy (not chocolate though)...I don't think any other smoke has the flavor profile of a Cohiba (that milky chocolate flavor). I have had about all the Sig line and personally I would go for Sig III or just go with the tried and true robusto..can't go wrong with those. I would stay away from the PSD4 of new..not good IMO. If you want a Partaga try the PSP tubo, they are great and have very unique lavender notes..no joke.

From my newbie perspective my 2 favorite creamy CC's so far are the Bolivar Belicosos Finos and Ramon Allones Specially Selected.

I've had some Juan Lopez that are very creamy with a touch of sweetness. Low price point too. Not quite a Cohiba, but for the price you can't go wrong.

If you want some coffee thrown in, go for the Monte No. 4s.

The bolivar line is closet to cohiba, but YMMV.

I suggest trying an assortment of PCs from NC and Cuban origins till you find one that your palate likes.

As always I appreciate all the info and feedback. I find myself being confused with all the various lines and brands. Is there any single place to read the various flavor profiles of current production in a single place? If not it might be helpful for us new guys to read if we know about what we like from other countries.

Tks

HERE is a great index of the various reviews done on CP. Read up on what flavors others have found in various cigars and try them for yourself to see if you agree with the flavors described.

I've always said that an aged Vegueros Especiales No 1 tastes like a "poor man's" Cohiba...like monk fish bs lobster

I hope this helps

Mark