• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba and other premium smokes.

Ironworker

CP's Official Construction Contractor
It's been a long time since I smoked a memorable Cuban cigar. In fact, it was two years ago and I remember it very well. I bought two boxes of Esplendidos, the first box I opened contained a cigar unlike any other I've ever smoked, it was stunning. I smoked everycigar in that box box and none were as good. The ash was white on the outside with a disticntive light brownish color in the center, it was incrediably toothy as well.
The remaining cigars were all smoked within 2 weeks, I was trying to find that ultimate cigar again.
More than likely that cigar had preimium leaf not usually found in boxes for the public..
I wish I could experience that quality all the time but it seems that the more extraordinary leaf is reserved for special clients or batches not sold to the public.

I've probably smoked 25 boxes of Esplendidos and VI's trying to find that ultimate cigar again.

Rich

It's been a long time since I smoked a memorable Cuban cigar. In fact, it was two years ago and I remember it very well. I bought two boxes of Esplendidos, the first box I opened contained a cigar unlike any other I've ever smoked, it was stunning. I smoked everycigar in that box box and none were as good. The ash was white on the outside with a disticntive light brownish color in the center, it was incrediably toothy as well.
The remaining cigars were all smoked within 2 weeks, I was trying to find that ultimate cigar again.
More than likely that cigar had preimium leaf not usually found in boxes for the public..
I wish I could experience that quality all the time but it seems that the more extraordinary leaf is reserved for special clients or batches not sold to the public.

I've probably smoked 25 boxes of Esplendidos and VI's trying to find that ultimate cigar again.

Rich

There are a few of cigars that come to mind that would meet that standard. The Cohiba and Trinidad
Diplomat or Montecristo B.

Good luck trying to find one.

Bob

Maybe because you smoked so many of the same kind in so short a time span your tastebuds got sort of anesthetised to those flavors?
Were you still able to appreciate the flavors of other smokes during this time?
I hear what you're saying though...some smokes are truly spectacular, while others from the same box just aren't.

Wow, 25 boxes. I'll probably not smoke that many in the next ten years. Esplendidos being my favorite cigar I often wonder if I smoked them exclusively would I appreciate them as much as I do now smoking them only occasionally. I probably average about one a month and I always enjoy them. Sure some are better then others but I'm smoking 3-5 year olds and they never disappoint. Maybe I've tempered my expectations over the years but it is a rare day when any aged Cohiba fails to tantalize my taste buds and send me into what my friends call a "Cohiba coma."

Rich

Nothing like an aged Cohiba!

Well, Bolivar is a different blend, but maybe the corona gigantes might worth to try.
the only vitola that I can't think of right now for the Siglo VI is the Edmundo,
again it's totally different blend compare to Siglo VI a lot milder imho.
what about a custom roll by Cueto or La China?

A couple years ago one of the members here went to Mexico to see a famous roller (I forget his name, somebody will chime in) and brought back some extremely expensive cigars. Rolled with premium Cuban tobacco they were close seconds in the never ending search for the perfect cigar.

As for my taste buds; they may be a little diminished by the end of the day, but it was night when I smoked that memorable Cohiba. I smoked a partagas 4 that had a similar colored ash, it was above and beyond every other P-4 I ever smoked as well.

When ever I smoke an exceptional cigar it seems to have that distinctive brown color in the center. Next time you smoke a cigar that has that killer affect, look at the ash.
When moki took pictures at Fuente you seen smokes that weren't available to the public, I think the same thing go's for any plantation. They save the best for themselves, friends and special clients.

Aging tobacco mediocre tobacco won't make it a premium smoke.

I think grateful got it right, it's chasing a high.

Rich

When ever I smoke an exceptional cigar it seems to have that distinctive brown color in the center. Next time you smoke a cigar that has that killer affect, look at the ash.

yep! I notice the same thing.

Thanks for the post Dave, I thought maybe I was imagining things. Maybe that color has something to do with the quality of leaf. That Cohiba ash 75% that unusal color.

Oh, the cigars in my previous post were taboadas. rolled by Toboada himself.

Rich

A couple years ago one of the members here went to Mexico to see a famous roller (I forget his name, somebody will chime in) and brought back some extremely expensive cigars. Rolled with premium Cuban tobacco they were close seconds in the never ending search for the perfect cigar.

As for my taste buds; they may be a little diminished by the end of the day, but it was night when I smoked that memorable Cohiba. I smoked a partagas 4 that had a similar colored ash, it was above and beyond every other P-4 I ever smoked as well.

When moki took pictures at Fuente you seen smokes that weren't available to the public, I think the same thing go's for any plantation. They save the best for themselves, friends and special clients.

Aging tobacco mediocre tobacco won't make it a premium smoke.

I think grateful got it right, it's chasing a high.

Rich

I often times find, or look for, parallels between wine and cigars. I've had quite a few wines that many people would consider very mediocre at release, but with a number of years of bottles age have turned out to be fabulous wines! yes, fabulous. I've also had a number of cigars with 15+ years of age on them that started out life as a very mediocre cigar but by the time I got to them were simply outstanding to my palate.

I have a very good idea of what to look for in a wine that makes it ageable but have yet to understand what characteristics will make a cigar age-able. I'm guessing characteristics similar to a Partagas or Robaina, possibly even a Montecristo, but won't be sure for another 15 plus years ;) .

:cool:

I know the feeling. I had a freshly rolled cigar when I was at a herf in Miami. It was rolled by Marta a La Luna partner. Though it was not a Cuban, I loved that cigar and have not found one that tasted the same.

cohiba & Trinidad..both over-rated & over-priced....gutless wonders.........Why should I pay £17.50 for a tastless cohiba robusto when i can enjoy a RASS for £10 or a PSD4 for £11

cohiba & Trinidad..both over-rated & over-priced....gutless wonders.........Why should I pay £17.50 for a tastless cohiba robusto when i can enjoy a RASS for £10 or a PSD4 for £11

Wow that is a hell of a price to pay for a RASS or a PSD4, let alone the CoRo.

that's the price one pays for the convenience of being able to buy them singly at my local tobacconist.....a box of RASS is abot £200 in the UK......they would probably be cheaper if they were illegal ..LOL

trouble is they aren't worth getting off the internet.....i get a no quibble exchange at my local shop.....you can get stung for back duty so easily in the UK

H& F official retail price for a PSD4 is i think £12.50 per stick

that's the price one pays for the convenience of being able to buy them singly at my local tobacconist.....a box of RASS is abot £200 in the UK......they would probably be cheaper if they were illegal ..LOL

trouble is they aren't worth getting off the internet.....i get a no quibble exchange at my local shop.....you can get stung for back duty so easily in the UK

XXXX official retail price for a PSD4 is i think £12.50 per stick

That is still steep when you look at the prices in the European market. I am assuming you must pay the VAT and any other taxes out there to account for the price difference.

XXXXX official retail price for a PSD4 is i think £12.50 per stick
Just an FYI....

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS SOURCES (THAT MEANS, DON'T TALK ABOUT CUBAN CIGAR RETAILERS!)

Just an FYI....

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS SOURCES (THAT MEANS, DON'T TALK ABOUT CUBAN CIGAR RETAILERS!)

Thanks for catching that one Gary! I totally blew by that one since I only saw what he was paying in pounds!

Just an FYI....

Thanks for catching that one Gary! I totally blew by that one since I only saw what he was paying in pounds!

Then edit your post :p :whistling: :cool:

Just an FYI....

Then edit your post :p :whistling: :cool:

:thumbs:

Just an FYI....

Did I miss a retailer that was mentioned anywhere?

H&F is the UK distributor, not a retailer. They don't sell cigars to the public.