• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Panatelas

Sleepy

As it's usually extremely hot here in the summer, too much so to smoke in the afternoon, I figured I'd take advantage of one of the rare days it's cooled off a bit and light up something I hadn't tried this evening. Slowly been working my way through everything in the Cohiba line, and as I was recently gifted with a panatelas, I settled on this little fella over a Rafael Gonzales Coronas Extra I'd also considered burning.

Prelight, construction appeared to be excellent, as was the aroma. The wrapper appeared a nice medium brown, with fine veining and a little bit of tooth. Triple cap was well executed, leaving one able to clip it and leave more than enough to have no worries of unraveling. Testing the draw, I was unsurprised to find it fairly firm considering the small ring size, but not so much that I thought it would be problematic.

Upon lighting, my suspicions proved correct. Though a little tighter than I would have liked, it was nothing to worry about. I'd guessed the flavors would be similar to that of it's somewhat larger brother, the exquisito, and that first draw rewarded me with a rich espresso flavor along with hints of spice and honey. As I continued smoking, I was really impressed with the volume of blue-grey smoke it emitted, and though the initial burn was a little uneven, it quickly corrected itself.

About 40% of the way down, the espresso flavors mellowed considerably, and in came notes of grass and wood, and even some creamyness that reminded me of the Trinidad Reyes. The ash was a nice medium grey, and very firm. As it burned down, the draw did loosen up a tad, but not as much as I would have preferred. By the time it was done, it had taken me about 30 minutes to smoke, with slightly burnt fingers from nubbing, as I didn't want the experience to end.

While not as powerful a smoke as the exquisito, I'd still rate it as medium to full. It seems when people talk about Cohibas these days, it is mainly with regards to the Siglo line up. However, if you're looking for something a bit different, I'd highly recommend branching out and giving the panatelas a try, as well as the exquisito, coronas especiales, and lanceros.

Edited to correct my use of coronas extra where I meant coronas especiales!

Very nice. This is the only regular production Cohiba I've yet to try. With less and less time to smoke these days I might have to get a box. Thanks for the review.

Nice review and yes, you are right, I tend to lean towards
the Siglo lines, time to break out.

Brian

Great review!

I've been thinking about the Cohiba Panetelas for some time now but the price has been off-putting. Instead, I went for a few boxes of the Montecristo Joyitas in the same vitola de galera. You captured the predominant flavors of these cigars perfectly. I'd agree the Exquisito is the ass-kicker of the Cohiba line.

And Craig, what do you mean you haven't smoked a Panetelas yet???? :0

The next time you burn one, try to really space out your sipping puffs. My colleague Roy R. Frush smokes these in about 60 minutes and he's rewarded with a most sublime experience.

Thank you for sharing your wonderful experience. :thumbs:

Wilkey

And Craig, what do you mean you haven't smoked a Panetelas yet???? :0

I know, hard to believe right? They have somehow eluded me thus far. Perhaps I'm apprehensive because I might like them and they are nearly as pricey as the Exquisitos :0

Glad you guys liked the review! The high price is the only reason I don't have boxes of these and the exquisitos sitting in my humidor right now. While I do love the Siglos, the more I smoke of the original Cohibas, the more I find myself liking them even moreso. They have a flavor profile all their own that just really does it for me..I'd meant to do a review of the coronas especiales, but forgot to get around to it. Maybe next time I light one up, as they may be my new favorite. :thumbs:

Sounds tasty. You can't beat the Linea Classica Cohibas. Thanks for the review, this isn't a stick you often hear about. :)