• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Siglo VI

antaean

Did this happen to you?
My smoking preferences are generally toward the corona size range and fuller flavored smokes like Bolivar and Partagas. Recently, I have begun trying some of the bigger ring gauges and suspect that they may require different approaches to smoking and storage.

I recently tried my first Cohiba Siglo VI, a 2-year old from a cabinet of 10 (LLN ABR04). This was kept at about 63F to 65Fwith 65%RH beads for 9 weeks after receipt. The cigars came from a reputable source and I drank cold water during the smoke while sitting in the shade on a warm, sunny afternoon with a light breeze.

A manly-looking cigar with artistic construction. There were no apparent soft or hard spots along the length of the cigar but firm and resilient throughout. A couple of very tiny light spots were the only detraction in appearance. The pre-light scent seemed to be straight forward tobacco. The cap clipped easily to about one-half inch diameter opening with a double blade guillotine. Lighting was not difficult with a cheapo butane lighter. The draw was a bit too firm, which resulted in a thinner volume of smoke than expected and fatigued me by the end. The burn was generally even and self-correcting. Oils could be seen glistening in the sunlight at the burn line. The ash was well-behaved. The flavors seemed dull or muted and difficult to distinguish. There was a sense of grassiness throughout that reminded me of timothy (a kind of sweet smelling alfalfa) prior to mowing. Occassionally there were vague hints of vanilla and coffee but virtually no flavor progression in either variety or intensity. While the smoke and flavors were not unpleasant, they were not exciting either. I let this go with about 1.5-inch left and it was never harsh or bitter. About 90 minutes of smoking and perhaps medium in nicotine intensity.

I am left wondering if there is a "sick" or "vacuum" period for the Siglo VI which I am in the midst of. Has anyone else found a "dull" period for the Siglo VI?

Other recent reviewers of this same box code (at about the same age) have extolled the virtues of this cigar. Based on this one example, I cannot agree and at $16 each I consider this expensive for such little taste. I certainly do not want to write this one off based solely on one cigar. My plan has been to lay these down until 5 years from the box date. However, if these are not "sick" I may want to clear these out of the humidor to allow more room for something else.

I seem to recall a piece written by Min Ron Nee who opined that the thicker cigars are more "diluted" with volado leaves than the thinner gauged cigars and consequently their flavors may begin to"expire" at about 5 to 7 years age, particularly if they have bean-ish flavors. He was using the Cohiba Robusto and Montecristo No. 2 as examples. Is it relevant to compare the CoRo and the Siglo VI as to aging characteristics?

The prevailing wisdom (typical general guidance from the FOGs) on aging here at CP seems to be about 3 years age for thinner smokes and 5 years age for thicker smokes. However, since the Siglo VI is a fairly recent release (early 2003?) there seems to be little information available on its aging characteristics.

Any feedback, particularly from the serious Cohiba lovers, is welcomed.

antaean

antaean

like yourself...i prefer 42 ring(or so)smokes.

all siglo VI made are "sick" right now...exception might be ones made in 2006 or maybe even since march or april '06.

there are no aged VI's...in a few years(when there are)you will get some better opinions i am sure.

the few i tried in '03 were already "sick"(bland tastless etc.).

as far as your aging estimates : i would multiply by (at least) 2...try 5 to 8 years for the 42 ring smokes and churchills just seem to stay "sick" forever...try 8 years plus for churchills.

if you have the "illustrated encyclopaedia..." a rule of thumb i use(for smokes i have never tried)is to take the minimum aging time and multiply times 1 1/2...mrn's minimum times really are too short...

if you are in it for the long haul...then keep them.

if 5 years is all the time you will give them...i would say give up on them.

derrek :)

My smoking preferences are generally toward the corona size range and fuller flavored smokes like Bolivar and Partagas. Recently, I have begun trying some of the bigger ring gauges and suspect that they may require different approaches to smoking and storage.

I prefer the smaller ring gauges as well. Rarely smoke anything over a 46, though I do have the occasional robusto or hermosos no. 4. I store all of my cigars at 65% humidity. I will soon be able to experiment with different humidities in different cabinets, but for now they are all together. That said, I have had no flavor/construction problems with any of my smokes.

I recently tried my first Cohiba Siglo VI, a 2-year old from a cabinet of 10 (LLN ABR04).

The flavors seemed dull or muted and difficult to distinguish. There was a sense of grassiness throughout that reminded me of timothy (a kind of sweet smelling alfalfa) prior to mowing. Occassionally there were vague hints of vanilla and coffee but virtually no flavor progression in either variety or intensity. While the smoke and flavors were not unpleasant, they were not exciting either. I let this go with about 1.5-inch left and it was never harsh or bitter. About 90 minutes of smoking and perhaps medium in nicotine intensity.

This describes all of the Siglo VIs that I have smoked to date. They are not bad cigars, but certainly not what I would expect. I have some from close to the first release...I believe in early 03. The last one I smoked (about 3 months ago) was just starting to come around. It really was not even close. Of course, this is according to my palate...others will disagree.

I am left wondering if there is a "sick" or "vacuum" period for the Siglo VI which I am in the midst of. Has anyone else found a "dull" period for the Siglo VI?

Just don't think these have been around long enough for there to be much data on them.

I certainly do not want to write this one off based solely on one cigar. My plan has been to lay these down until 5 years from the box date.

Good idea

I seem to recall a piece written by Min Ron Nee who opined that the thicker cigars are more "diluted" with volado leaves than the thinner gauged cigars and consequently their flavors may begin to"expire" at about 5 to 7 years age, particularly if they have bean-ish flavors. He was using the Cohiba Robusto and Montecristo No. 2 as examples. Is it relevant to compare the CoRo and the Siglo VI as to aging characteristics?

The initial part of this is true. Volado leaves are used as the "filler" in the filler tobacco. Larger ring gauge cigars have a much higher ratio of "tasteless" volado to flavorful wrapper, binder, and ligero filler. I don't know that the flavors will expire, but I would assume that they will age differently. I think it would be fair to compare the CoRo to the Sig VI based on ring gauge, but they will age differently based on their blends.

The prevailing wisdom (typical general guidance from the FOGs) on aging here at CP seems to be about 3 years age for thinner smokes and 5 years age for thicker smokes. However, since the Siglo VI is a fairly recent release (early 2003?) there seems to be little information available on its aging characteristics.

I think this is just a rule of thumb. It really all depends on your palate. For example, I love the Bolivar marque, but only once they have been aged for at least 5 years. All of the younger ones I have tried have left me wanting. I know others who just love fresh Boli PCs and CJs. I don't, they do...personal preference. As far as aging thicker ring gauge cigars longer than thin...yes. It just takes longer for the thicker ring gauge cigars to come around (in my opinion). I also believe they go through a longer "sick" period than thinner cigars.

Derrek suggests longer aging times than what you have listed. I would probably be more inclined to agree with him for some cigars, but that is based on my palate and nothing else. My suggestion is to put them down for your prescribed 5 years and try one. If it still doesn't do it for you, put them down for another year and try another. Keep trying until the cigars either rock your world or you are out of cigars.

I don't think I am a serious Cohiba lover and certainly not an expert, but I gave it my best shot. :p

See my comments in bold above.

I'm going to chime in here after smoking the "5th Avenue Siglo sampler box" in less than a months time.

I started with the I and worked my way up to the VI (BTW the VI costs over 20€ for one, in Germany)

The I, II and III were all perfect in taste and I enjoyed them immensely.

The IV was OK.

Both the V and VI were bland and grassy in flavor, the VI more so than the V.

Of the Siglo line I like the II the most, however I've always been a corona man and enjoy smaller cigars.

I also recently was gifted a 3 pack of Siglo VI tubos, one I gave away and one I smoked, it was just as bland as the one out of the sampler box. The last one I'm planning on letting hide in the deepest darkest corner of my humidor for a few years. If I get a Siglo craving in the meantime I'll drive to my B&M and pick up a 5 pack of Siglo I or a few Siglo IIs.

i've smoked some 5 yo Siglo IV's and was very impressed with them. They allowed me to rethink that Cohiba can actually put out good smokes. I had a couple Cohibas back in the early 2000 time frame that was just plan crap. The I aquired a 10 pack of Siglo VI with 2 years age on them and they totaly blew the IV out of the water. I do plan on in the future in trying them all starting from I through VI and do a comparison of what I think of them. That way I can make a true judgement. But as of right now after those 2 different Siglo's, I'm starting to get hooked on Cohibas. But each has a different taste which allows the rest of us to get different smokes. :thumbs:

Siglo VI are a subtle cigar. I love 'em but they are different from the rest of the Siglos. If you want a Siglo that will rock your socks smoke a III or a IV. Actually your description of the flavors was reminiscent of my experience with these monsters. It may just be these are not to your liking. Of course they will be more refined and complex with five to ten years of age on them. The waiting is the hardest part.

what do the numbers (I- VI) indicate? year produced? (in series)
Man, if the VIs are going to just get better with age, then rock on! Personally, I really like them; and I'm sure they will continue to just get better. I will say that I like ones out of '04 more than the ones out of '05. None of them have been in the "sick period" in the amonia, nasty meaning of "sick period" but they may not be aged and the flavors may have not melded as well as some older sticks.

As far as the Siglo version question, Wikipedia has a good history on it, including some speculation that these cigars were launched to fill the void left when Davidoff stopped making cuban cigars.

I would say that all the Cohibas I have smoked from '04 and '05 have that subtle grassy taste to them, some more than others. Some may hate it, but I kind of like it. I have smoked a lancero from '01, and it didn't have any grassy taste at all. It was a very fine smoke.

At first I thought Cohibas were just a way overpriced ISOM, but I am starting to like them more and more. I still think you can probably get more bang for your buck with some other cigar brands though.

Hope this helps,
- C

As far as cohiba is concerned I like the esplendicas probably spelled wrong had one recently with a lot of age. The siglos are ok I have a iv resting until I get the urge one day but most of the siglos were just ok to me. Then again I am not a huge cuban fan most of my cubans are gifted there are very few I would go out and look to buy.

antaean

as far as your aging estimates : i would multiply by (at least) 2...try 5 to 8 years for the 42 ring smokes and churchills just seem to stay "sick" forever...try 8 years plus for churchills.

if you have the "illustrated encyclopaedia..." a rule of thumb i use(for smokes i have never tried)is to take the minimum aging time and multiply times 1 1/2...mrn's minimum times really are too short...

if you are in it for the long haul...then keep them.

if 5 years is all the time you will give them...i would say give up on them.

derrek :)

Derrek: Thanks for this input. It really alters my view of the whole aging process from a more "theoretical" or "general" view to a more practical view. I have no problem waiting for as long as it might take for these smokes to develop properly. After all, it would seem a bit foolish to go against the opinions of so many who love the Cohibas. However, I still do not care for smokes that are not ready yet!! I have mainly smoked fresh or up to 3 to 5 years aged cigars. Long term aging I have almost no experience with. Now I am really curious as to what happens after 5 years. I have noticed good changes with the smaller ring gauges at about 2 to 3 years, but since I have usually bought 'em to smoke 'em, once they turned better they got smoked. Last year I set up for longer term aging, so time will tell and I look forward to the day I can experience what the commotion is all about.

Thanks again :)

antaean
(editted because I accidentally joined two separate posts)

quote name='cigardawg' date='Jul 12 2006, 01:04 PM' post='341653']

I think this is just a rule of thumb. It really all depends on your palate. For example, I love the Bolivar marque, but only once they have been aged for at least 5 years. All of the younger ones I have tried have left me wanting. I know others who just love fresh Boli PCs and CJs. I don't, they do...personal preference. As far as aging thicker ring gauge cigars longer than thin...yes. It just takes longer for the thicker ring gauge cigars to come around (in my opinion). I also believe they go through a longer "sick" period than thinner cigars.

Derrek suggests longer aging times than what you have listed. I would probably be more inclined to agree with him for some cigars, but that is based on my palate and nothing else. My suggestion is to put them down for your prescribed 5 years and try one. If it still doesn't do it for you, put them down for another year and try another. Keep trying until the cigars either rock your world or you are out of cigars.

I don't think I am a serious Cohiba lover and certainly not an expert, but I gave it my best shot. :p

[/quote]

See my comments in bold above.
[/quote]

Cigardawg: Like you and dvickery, I really enjoy the 42 r.g. Bolivars. But I have not had any 5+ years old. Now I am definitely going to age some Bolivars past the 5-year mark along with the Siglo VI's. Your input here was actually quite helpful and supports Derrek's comments. Thank you. :)

antaean

Of course they will be more refined and complex with five to ten years of age on them. The waiting is the hardest part.

Lucasbuck: I value your experiences with the Cohibas. Thank you. And, of course waiting is the hardest part :rolleyes:

I have had smaller Cohibas many years ago(1980s?) that were very good and a few circa 1998 to 2003 that tasted quite poorly. I really was not aware of the need for aging until a couple of years ago...I thought it was bad crops reported in the news!!!

antaean

I would say that all the Cohibas I have smoked from '04 and '05 have that subtle grassy taste to them, some more than others. Some may hate it, but I kind of like it. I have smoked a lancero from '01, and it didn't have any grassy taste at all. It was a very fine smoke.

Bluegragon: I certainly did not mind the grassy taste, but it was not like a newly mown lawn...more like a field of flowering alfalfa crop. Not ammonia or vinegar smell, but a softer more pleasant sensation. I did not mention in my original post that the finish (taste) was very nice. I had hoped the aromas and flavors of the smoke matched up to the finish.

Cheers,
antaean

BTW, I have no idea why my 4 posts all became merged today. ???

Antaean,

When you post right after your post, the software just appends it onto the first post.

I learned quite a bit about the Siglo VI here as well. Both of my remaining boxes are 05 so I doubt that I'll be touching them any time soon. I do have some loose sticks that will allow me to monitor their progress though.

I've not had any of the Siglo series with real age on them, but I have had the regular series with several years and at least as far as the Coronas Especiales and Exquisitos, they become really excellent smokes.

Wilkey

I am not a big Cohiba fan at all and every VI I have tried was terrible. But I have had a few Is and IIs that had 5 yrs on them lately and they were fantastic!! So all the Cohibas I have will be sitting in the back of my humidor for the long haul. Good thing I have plenty of room and other cigars to smoke :laugh: .

Antaean,

When you post right after your post, the software just appends it onto the first post.

Wilkey

Wilkey, this is way off topic but: the pics you post of your daughter remind me of the days when my own daughter was a little one. Really terrific photography you are getting and your captions are equally entertaining. I hope you keep updating the pics as you have been.

Also, please keep us posted on the progress of your Siglo VI's!!!!

antaean

I guess this is my nube 2 cents worth but, I have never been a fan of Cohiba's until a buddy gifted me a three pack turbos. To make a long story short my box should be here on wednesday and I can hardly wait!!!!!!! :D