• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba: The friend I begrudge

badhangover

I generally seek value in most products. I find that higher costs tend to give me somewhat unrealistic expectations about particular experiences. Within regular production Habanos, this generally applies to the Cohiba and Trindiad marcas for me.

Another thing that puts me off about them is the Cohiba "mystique". I am generally averse to being "trendy" and can't stand the type of attention the Cohiba band garners. When in public, and smoking a Cohiba, I generally take the band off. A brotha' wants to smoke in peace, darnit.

While I don't seem to have as much love for Trinidads as others seem to, I find myself shocked at how many Cohibas I've stocked up on and how often I reach out for one. Boxes of Siglo I's/II's/III's, Robustos, Corona Especiales, Lanceros, Esplendidos, and several singles of others. Geez, how did this happen?

What cigars, if you took a hard look at your inventory, would you be surprised at yourself for subconsciously stockpiling?

Partagas. I am a Partagas whore and am slowly walking down the path of Boli whoreism.

Let me come at this from another angle. I find myself instinctively stocking up on small smokes: Minutos, Franciscanos, Laguito No.3, Reyes, etc. This is easy to do because they are small smokes that can be enjoyed most any time. And they're inexpensive.

I have to make the effort when replenishing large sizes Julieta2, Piramides, etc. They take longer to smoke, are more expensive, and take more storage space, especially when they come in cabs. You might be surprised how many 50-cabs of Marevas and Minutos one can fit in a 48-qt cooler. :D

Two cigars that I buy whenever I can't decide what to buy are the Romeo y Julieta Cazadores (I've never had a disappointing one) and the Quintero Brevas (the best $2 Cuban, IMO).

Wilkey

Cohiba and Partagas are hands down my favorite cubans. Sure the cohibas are expensive, but I don't smoke the one everyday. Same goes for Trindads.

I agree with Wilkey almost word-for-word. Especially since I will be starting school again in the fall, my time will be even more limited. I imagine I will only be smoking a churchill or DC size cigar every couple of weeks in the next couple of years, so buying Trinidad Reyes, Siglo 1s, or M5 Secretos to stock up on is more reasonable then spending $500 on Esplendidos (Although they are my favorite churchill).

Much like everyone else, Partagas and Boli are the first things you see when I open the coolidor. And somehow it is several boxes of each. The other would be Cuaba or HdM, but I don't touch them, they are aging.

While I don't seem to have as much love for Trinidads as others seem to, I find myself shocked at how many Cohibas I've stocked up on and how often I reach out for one. Boxes of Siglo I's/II's/III's, Robustos, Corona Especiales, Lanceros, Esplendidos, and several singles of others. Geez, how did this happen?

I'm with you. Trinidads don't do a lot for me... not bad cigars, but for the price, there are others I prefer. Cohibas, though, I will gladly pay for.

I hear ya. I'm not a fan of Cohibas and I pretty much only buy them to give away. I've never bought any Trinidads. I find myself only stocking up on the ones I like (SLR, SC, RA) and they don't last very long. :laugh:

Don't become a Boli whore..... they suck... really.... I'm serious.... find something else.

Same applies to SLR's...... nasty stuff.... save your money.

I find myself shocked at how many Cohibas I've stocked up on and how often I reach out for one. Boxes of Siglo I's/II's/III's, Robustos, Corona Especiales, Lanceros, Esplendidos, and several singles of others. Geez, how did this happen?

Simple. They are the finest cigars made today. Don't fight it :D