• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba.

kypez

cohiba_esplendidos.jpg

I am about to meat a certain friends friend i know that recently returned from habana and has brought 3 or 4 boxes of cohibas with him. I am interested in purchasing a 25 box of Esplendidos from him but I dont fully trust the situation. I know very simple ways of telling fake cigars from genuine ones however I am not an expert. What are a couple of simple indicators that his cigars may be fake? Any help is appreciated.

kypez said:
What are a couple of simple indicators that his cigars may be fake? Any help is appreciated.
That a friends friend went to Cuba and brought back 3 or 4 boxes. That's a pretty good indicator that they're fake.LOL :D

Other than that...you'll really have to wait to see them. Even if the packaging checks out...it'll probably have to come down to actually smoking one of the cigars.

BTW- There aren't really simple indicators...more like a series of indicators...starting with the unopened box. Don't worry...you'll see what I mean...once people here start playing private eye...they'll demand several pictures, rights to your first born child and eventually MattR will need to smoke one.LMAO

Now that I think about it...it just might be easier to pass on the whole thing.LOL :p

I agree... the "friend of a friend" is indicator number 1.

If they are in a glass top box- run. :p

Another fact that he brought back 3-4 boxes? ??? And esplendido's especially- maybe the most faked cigar from Cuba? :) Definitely the most faked brand (Cohiba).

Honestly, if you're serious about buying them- smoke one first (if thats possible), and if you like the way they smoke, and you're happy with the price paid. Buy'em. Otherwise, JUST SAY NO :D.

As Beast said- Pictures are a MUST! :p

:thumbs: Toaster

Thank you for the productive help so far. I pretty much believe that they are going to be fakes. I am requesting pictures first of all to see what the box and cigars look like.

Cohiba esplendidos in Cuba sell for $335 (2003 prices). That will be the first clue.

Next, the bands have recently changed, they now have "Cohiba" in gold, with 3 rows of dots above the brand name instead of 2, and finally the new label says in script "Habana" instead of "La Habana".

The smell and box are also clues to watch for. If it doesn't have a farm fresh manure aroma, it should raise a concern. The box should be sealed, with a proper government seal on it. The cigar labels should all be very evenly aligned across the top. The color of the cigars should be very uniform across the entire box.

And finally, the smoke test... taste it to believe it. If you're not familiar with cuban cigars, and esplendidos specifically, then you will not know. Send one instead to someone you trust and who knows what they taste like.

Good luck.

Thanks for your help. Ive looked through some of the given link you guys have supplied me with. I asked this friend of a friend what the box looks like and he told me GLASS TOP.. So ya deals of there ya go! Thanks for the help!

kypez said:
I asked this friend of a friend what the box looks like and he told me GLASS TOP.. So ya deals of there ya go! Thanks for the help!
:0 :0 :0 :0 :0

wise...very wise

Im just looking for some cigars for me and my friends for my high school graduation. It would have been nice to have a couple real Cohibas. Its still months away so Il keep searching. I'm afraid that if I go to a cigar store and ask for cohibas theyll rip me of or give me fakes so I gotta learn even more about the cigars. I know about the triple seam on the foot of gar. Thats about it.

lucasbuck said:
kypez said:
I know about the triple seam on the foot of gar.
That's the "head" of the cigar ;)
Shows how much i know :) . I dont know much about cigars really, I just find them extremely attractive in ways. I enjoy a good cigar when i go golfing :) .

Y'know... it's sick to say - but I'd probably pay 100 dollars for a glass-top box of cohibas - just for novelty value...

What the hell is the matter with me? You guys not only got me addicted to high-end sticks - but now I'd pay good money for a decent fake just for fun???!!!

;)

Oak, I agree with you.

I had heard the glass top cohiba's are cuban cigars, just not cohiba's. I've also heard somewhere from a person who claims to have smoked one (some), they are actually a pretty good cigar :)

I'd like to have a box of 'em myself! :p If for nothing else, to show to my "in the know" buddies! :0 :p :thumbs:

kypez said:
Im just looking for some cigars for me and my friends for my high school graduation. It would have been nice to have a couple real Cohibas. Its still months away so Il keep searching. I'm afraid that if I go to a cigar store and ask for cohibas theyll rip me of or give me fakes so I gotta learn even more about the cigars. I know about the triple seam on the foot of gar. Thats about it.
If you are looking for Cubans at your local cigar shop I've got some news for ya: They're illegal! You ain't gonna' find em'.

That said, there are some phenomenal domestic smokes out there that you and your friends will really enjoy, especially being new to the game. Send me a PM and I'll set you up w/ a reccomendation on a few. This is stuff that generally goes for $30+ per stick at auction. I can tell you where to get em' for much less.

And as far as that graduating thing goes: You better figure out how to spell or else you aren't gonna' have to worry about celebrating :) "I am about to meat a certain..." Meet my good man, meet. Meat is for eating :)

you're too young to appreciate a good cigar, anyway. ;) :p

Y'all quit pickin' on the feller! :D He's got the right idea at a ripe young age. :)