• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colcannon for St. Paddie's Day

mjolnir01

El Cañón de Latón
This is one of my favorite foods, however because it's not exactly the most healthy dish, I try to limit it to once a year as a St. Patrick's Day treat.  Most sources seem to list ham and regular green cabbage, but I learned it this way... feel free to substitute as you desire.

Colcannon- Traditional Irish Potato Dish

3-5 lbs potatoes (russet or yukon gold, whatever you prefer for mashed potatoes), peeled and coarsely chopped
1-2 sticks of butter (preferably Lurpak or Kerry Gold)
1/2- 1 lb bacon (good stuff, like Wright), chopped
1 onion, finely chopped
1 bunch of kale, stems removed and finely chopped
Milk as required
Kosher salt/black pepper as required

Boil potatoes in a large pot.  Mash with your preferred method, adding milk and butter while seasoning with salt and pepper to taste.

Fry the bacon in a large pan to your preferred crispness.  Add the bacon to the mashed potatoes. Reduce heat on the frying pan, add the onion and sweat until translucent.  Move the onion to the mashed potatoes. Add the kale to the pan and cook to slightly soften, maybe 5-10 minutes.  Empty the frying pan--kale and what's left of the rendered bacon fat--to the potatoes. 

Fold it all together until well combined, then add some more butter for good measure. 

Good as a main course or as a side dish--I like it as an accompaniment to grilled lamb chops or stout-braised short ribs. Pair it all with a good dry Irish stout, like Guinness.

Be sure to make plenty... the leftovers are fantastic.

You should make that once a month.  This sounds awesome but of course I would increase the amount of bacon. 

I haven't had this in over 20 years. I used to get it at an Irish Pub. Totally forgot about it. Thanks for posting. Gonna see if my boy likes it.

That sounds great, thanks for the recipe Barry! I will give it a try this weekend.

Bump for the year. I'll be working on St. Paddy's day, but I still might find a way to make a pot of Colcannon.

Barry...the only thing I do differently is I deglaze the pan at the end with some Irish whiskey (last year I used 'The Knot') and reduce it down to a light syrup consistency....then I drizzle it into the mashed. Nice little flavor booster.

I will try and make it this year. I have some Irish stout brewing and hopefully it will be ready, if not Guinness.

Making up a batch of it now. My wife says it sounds real good.
Let me know how it turns out!

I'm working graveyard shift for a few more weeks, so I did all my cooking this morning after I got home from work. When I got up this evening the whole family was raving about dinner, especially the Colcannon. Another year, another satisfied brood.