• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colibri Lighters

wpeloqui

Hi Gang,

I am in the market for a new lighter. Can anyone recommend a good online source. I am fond of the SST jet engine style!

Willie

Thanks! Atlantic Cigar looks like a great supplier. They have all sorts of good toys! The red vortex is a sweet looking piece. I don't think it is available anymore. Too bad, I would have liked one.

Willie

It is still available, I just got mine thru there last week. Only thing is the cap is not red, but chrome/silver.

The solo Trek is a nice twin flame torch, and I've also gotten real fond of the ASG Pocket Torch.

You could also try CBid. Sometimes they have some nice colibri lighters there for a decent price.

Not sure exactly what your looking for or how much you want to spend but you may also want to take a look at DuPont Extend.

I have to second the recommendation of Atlantic Cigar. I just received my
order from them.....picked up a Colibri Trifecta lighter and a Xikar Xi3 cutter,
both for very good prices.

They didn't have the lighter in stock, and they let me know right away, and
kept me updated on when it would come in. Great prices, great service.

So far the Trifecta works like a charm. I think it's a great lighter, especially if
you're willing to spend the extra cash. My only gripe would be the lack of a
visible fuel level indicator...but I much prefer the triple flame design. Definitely
a step up from the Zippo....

I know a lot of you guys like the Colibri lighters but my wife gave me a very nice one for Christmas last year. One of the very nice triple flames. Maybe I'm not doing something right, but I have to "strike" it no less than 10 times to get it to light. I swear, if she haden't given it to me I would of thrown it to the side of the road already. I am looking for a GOOD lighter now. Any advice would really help.
Thanks
Jerry

I am looking for a GOOD lighter now. Any advice would really help

I highly recommend the Prometheus Liquid. FatherTiresius put me on to it and it is the best lighter I've ever used. It lights every time and has a tremendous flame. What's more it has a great look to it. Very sleek. Atlantic carries them in several different colors. IMHO it kicks ass on any of Colibri's designs. Check it out.

COLIBRI.....Good for a month..but they will fix it...takes about 6 weeks

I'm a newbie here, but I can share a little experience with lighters. The fuel you use is critical to consistent functioning. In my experience the LAVA brand is the best I've ever used, including Colibri. It is quintuple refined and I've had it cause lighters to work well, that weren't working at all.

The best lighter I have found for the money is the Thor. It has twin jets as well as a cigar punch that flips down from the bottom (caution: that punch is extremely sharp. I got a half-moon cut healing on my index finger now because I reached into my pocket for the lighter and the punch was open). You can find them on auction at Cbid and Cigars International sells them very reasonably (around $16-18 for a twin-pack), and they have a nice weight and heft to them.

Just my thoughts........

Hey arwings, welcome to CP! What is a good source for the LAVA fuel? I want to keep my Prometheus firing true. Thanks man.

-Craig

Actually I've always just picked it up from my local tobacconist (when he has it; it tends to be very popular). It comes in a large can (5.5 ozs., I think) and is very reasonable at $5-6. Also with that large a can there is plenty of pressure to help make sure you've completely filled your lighter. I've used it for years and never had any problem at all with it.

Probably a google search would help in terms of finding it on-line if you wanted to order it.

Has there been any discussion on purging air from a butane lighter? I had a cheapie that I bought in Las Vegas. It would work for a while and then be very difficult to keep lit.

I brought it back to the shop where I purchased it from. I had two replacements that all did the same thing. I finally went there and the owner showed me that purging all the air from it after filling it up would take care of the problem. He just held it upside down after filling it, pressed the valve with a pen and expelled some air. After the air was gone I would get butane, you could tell because it got cold and blew out frost.

FWIW

Willie

Purging is very important. Make sure you shake the lighter a few times and purge again and again until you get no air coming out. Then when you refill the lighter let it sit for a few mintutes before lighting. Another tip is to blow out debris from the coil with compressed air. Be careful not to touch the coil though.

On another note I'm trying to find some of that LAVA butane but am having a hard time. Google got me nowhere. Any suggestions anyone?

I think the best personal lighter (torch) on the market is the Dupont Extend. Retail on one of these bad boys is about $145.00. You can get them on Cigar Bid for between $65-$85. They have a lifetime guarantee and work like a charm. I have two and both are wonderful!!!

lucasbuck said:
On another note I'm trying to find some of that LAVA butane but am having a hard time. Google got me nowhere. Any suggestions anyone?
I just picked up a can of LAVA at JR's during my excursion. It was $5.99 I think.

Unfortunately, my Colibri (1 week old) is aready crap :angry: The coil is broken, so it only lights about 1/20 of the time. My 2yo $1 Djeep lighter woks every time.

I guess I'll see if Cbid will exchange it for me since I got it so recently. ???

I was having problems with my Colibri's also not lighting. I went to my cigar shop and spoke with the owner on what to do and what butane I should use. He purged the lighter took a bottle of "First light International gas lighter refill" {$2.25 for 250ml} and filled it up and it has worked like a charm ! lights every time & stays lit!! I asked why he did not use the Colibri fule he had for $10 {same size can}.... He said with a PAM sticking out of his mouth.... "Colibri fule is crap! You are paying for the name! This stuff is refined at the same refinery as Colibri, and is a better quality!" I will vouch for that!! If you need.... I can get! $2.25 a can!!

I just bought a Tiger brand lighter in Mexico. I negotiated down to $30 from $60 and it seems like a good lighter. I have never heard of them.