• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Colorado & Maine Members

xyz123

Obviously you're not a golfer.
I just had a buddy in CO text me this:

IMG_8836.jpg

I usually get industry news like this when it's introduced or still in a state's legislature.. and I was surprised to see this. My buddy is livid and said he had no clue this was happening.

Any members in these states aware of this? Have you noticed it at b&m's already? Well, would apply to online sales too I would imagine. I wonder what states are next??

He just texted me this link:

All it seems to me is an overreaction to kids vaping now instead of smoking. So, instead of targeting the problem product, they'll just go ahead and lump everything tobacco related instead.

Gotta start writing your elected officials. This isn't a blue/red state issue.. they'll keep doing it if we don't fight back. This is akin to the FDA AGAIN appealing the federal deeming suit they keep losing. It happened under both party admins.. keep that in mind.

I support keeping kids away from these products that are designed to addict them for life. WE are NOT kids and we don't use those products. What we do and love is very different and has ZERO business being lumped in with those products.

I just had a buddy in CO text me this:

View attachment 78051

I usually get industry news like this when it's introduced or still in a state's legislature.. and I was surprised to see this. My buddy is livid and said he had no clue this was happening.

Any members in these states aware of this? Have you noticed it at b&m's already? Well, would apply to online sales too I would imagine. I wonder what states are next??
Is this due to your time in and out of jail, and your battles with the legal system in general?

"The tax revenue will go to pay for preschool, rural schools, K-12 education, affordable housing, legal assistance for people facing eviction, and general state spending. "

These areas are already funded. They will not get additional funding. The state will simply execute a paperwork shuffle. For every tobacco tax dollar earmarked for "education", the state will move one dollar back to the general fund.

I can't believe this will have the effect they are hoping for. In the short term they will collect more taxes, but in the long run people will find other cheaper places to buy from and the tax revenue will decrease.

I can't believe this will have the effect they are hoping for. In the short term they will collect more taxes, but in the long run people will find other cheaper places to buy from and the tax revenue will decrease.

That's so true Chad. So, I said I heard this from my buddy in CO.. during our text convo he even said he'll just buy cigars through me now. Thankfully we don't have insane rates like that here.. but that doesn't mean it can't be introduced in a bill tomorrow.

Screenshot_20240125-174140_Messages.jpg

We all need to stay vigilant. Don't think or assume your state is safe.

..and general state spending. "

Notice how they just tack that on at the very end? That gives them carte blanche to basically spend it on anything they want... and in any amount that they want.

Oh sure, they could put a million toward preschool, 2 million toward rural roads, etc. But "general state spending" is nonspecific and so ambiguous, the bulk could go to pork or pet projects.. or whatever.

Even if I don't always agree where my tax dollars are going at times, I still at least want to KNOW where they'll be going.

They better not try that shit here. That would be akin to trying to take our guns away.

IMG_1484.jpeg

They better not try that shit here. That would be akin to trying to take our guns away.

View attachment 78094

I encourage everyone to read that image above that Kevin posted... especially the complete nonsense after the part he highlighted. NO state with a sales tax is "undertaxing" cigars! Anything OVER the state sales tax is just wrong in general.. the very definition of a "sin tax".

This goes to the very heart of the federal "deeming rules" and why, yet again, after 7 years of litigation, U.S. District Judge Amit Mehta ruled against the FDA calling their claims "capricious" and "arbitrary". The bottom line is that the FDA could not put forth any credible evidence that "premium cigars" pose a health risk to the general public. And the fact that a consumer be 21 years of age to purchase was plenty sufficient.

It should have put the issue to bed for good... AND removed all those butt-ugly warning stickers from our boxes. But the FDA appealed, again. And the same flawed logic is being applied to unmerited and unfair excise taxes being applied to premium cigars.

When will they realize a cigar is just a bunch of leaves enjoyed at once? It's basically a salad. And everyone knows salads are good for you. Leave our salads alone!
😁🥗💨💨