• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Complete cigar collection stolen

I honestly don't think that can be accurately answered, for a few reasons. Nobody, including your insurance company, knows if you aged them properly. I don't believe there is a formula even if you did. Nobody knows if they were legit or counterfeit.

My insurance company told me I was limited to the personal property "per category" limit, such as jewelry, guns, cigars, etc. which I think was $1500 ...... unless I bought a special policy which was like $500/month.

I sincerely doubt if you will get anywhere with your insurance company. Maybe there are some insurance agents here who can be of more help.

Thank you guys for replying to my message it means a lot to me. I kept a log of my cigars but it wasn’t anywhere as detailed as my insurance wants it. They are wanting the dates of when I bought each cigar.
Thanks for the advice of talking to a cigar store. I talked to the manager of the cigar store I’ve bought a lot of my cigars but they recently changed locations and it’s a new guy. I’m setting up a meeting with a different store buy as I mentioned it’s a lot of cigars.
From now on I would advise everyone in this group to keep a list of all your cigars and take pictures of your humidor. I never thought anyone would break into my house and steal them.
If anyone could give me a figure or percentage of how much I should add to the cigars I’ve been aging? Such as a box of the Padron 50th anniversary that I’ve been aging for ~ 5 years. To buy a box right now is $2,100 and I’ve read different things on how much to add.

Sincerely,
Ryan

I gave you a general answer, but guess it wasn’t enough $$$, so you disregarded it.

You’ve given zero info, with the exception of Padron 50ths. I think you’re going to have a hard time, with insurance on this, if you have no information.

Can you not create an excel sheet, with the rows being the specific cigars (Producer/Vitola) then the columns be Date Purchased, $$$ paid, Quantity, quantity left, etc? You could even add the humidors and accessories you had. This could be produced in 4 hours. Send it to your insurance adjuster and see what they say.

Did you file a police report?

I'm sorry that someone broke into your house and stole your collection. Hope it all works out for you.

I gave you a general answer, but guess it wasn’t enough $$$, so you disregarded it.

You’ve given zero info, with the exception of Padron 50ths. I think you’re going to have a hard time, with insurance on this, if you have no information.

Can you not create an excel sheet, with the rows being the specific cigars (Producer/Vitola) then the columns be Date Purchased, $$$ paid, Quantity, quantity left, etc? You could even add the humidors and accessories you had. This could be produced in 4 hours. Send it to your insurance adjuster and see what they say.

Did you file a police report?
I think you were correct at the very beginning Brandon. I think he is pulling the sympothy strings trying to get some sucker to send him cigars.

Granted, it's been a few years but my insurance company "State Farm" didn't care about my spreadsheet, they needed receipts if they were to even create a policy. Asking a company to pay out on something you never had covered, and don't have receipts for, after the fact, simply isn't going to happen.

He is looking for something other than the info you gave him.

Last edited:
I think you were correct at the very beginning Brandon. I think he is pulling the sympothy strings trying to get some sucker to send him cigars.

Granted, it's been a few years but my insurance company "State Farm" didn't care about my spreadsheet, they needed receipts if they were to even create a policy. Asking a company to pay out on something you never had covered, and don't have receipts for, after the fact, simply isn't going to happen.

He is looking for something other than the info you gave him.

I’m all for benefit of the doubt, but this one just doesn’t seem right to me. I’d love to be proven wrong though.

I agree something just doesn't seem right about this, but it could be his agent is stringing him along knowing full well the cigar claim will be in part or fully denied.

I had a discussion with my agent regarding my cigars a few years ago. They are not collectables unless I purchase a special rider. They are in theory covered up to some set value that I have since forgotten, but I don't keep a running inventory, and I throw away the receipts. So for all practical purposes if my cigars burn in a fire (or are stolen), c'est la vie.