• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer Anti-Virus software

badhangover

I recently purchased a new laptop computer loaded up with Windows 7 (which seems to be a pretty nifty OS thus far). What suggestions are there for anti-virus software... and any other software that might help with its security and general performance? Free or paid subscription software, as long as it works well. It's currently loaded up with a trial run of Norton Anti-Virus, but I don't think I've ever read any really good reviews of that. But I know nothing about what makes computers tick and so anything, even Norton, would be helpful.

I've seen threads of this topic before, and was about to search for them, but I thought perhaps with the ever changing forces of technology that maybe some new preferences might pop up.

Thanks.

I've used Windows Live One Care at home and at work for several years. I don't believe any protected machine has been infected by any type of malware while using it. Unfortunately Microsoft is discontinuing this product. They will offer a new free product called Microsoft® Security Essentials that should be available now. I'm not sure if it will be compatible with Firefox so that could be a problem for me. Oh yeah... I'm not associated with Microsoft. :p

I also recommend Avast.... its free for home use, and uses VERY little resources compared to McAfee and Norton for Live Scan.... runner up would be AVG.

Avast has tested well for me in every OS including all 64 bit editions. Cant go wrong!

Oh definitely ditch the Norton. They are the biggest resources hogs around.
I don't think there is one AV sfotware that stands head and shoulders above all others. There are a number of good products out on the market. I have used ESET, AVG, Kaspersky and a host of others. I am currently running ESET on my machine. I have found in the past that they seem to have the smallest footprint while doing the best job for me.
I am also sure that this question will receive many responses as to what best. I guess its all about what works best for you.

Art

...I am also sure that this question will receive many responses as to what best. I guess its all about what works best for you.
Yes, I'm aware my open ended query is likely to elicit a wide variance of suggestions.... and that's kinda what I'm hoping for. It's my intent to research the top suggestions put out there and go with what receives the best reviews from both tech sites as well as this forum. But I need a starting off point. For example, I've never heard of Avast or ESET (thank you for the ESET suggestion) and I'll go and Google those up now.

Thanks for the suggestions thus far and please keep them coming. Any particular pro or con reasons for specific software programs are also appreciated.

Another question: Am I correct in assuming that once I download a different security software program, it will then be okay to go into my computer's programs list and delete anything with "Norton" in its title?

And since I'm asking one question, may as well go with two... What is the difference between Avast and ESET? I've got both opened up in different tabs and I'm about to read up on both, but real people feedback is easier for me to understand than tech talk is. Just to reiterate, I don't anticipate cost being a concern here. I mean, I don't need NASA type security. I can't imagine it costing much scratch for a home version of these programs and if the paid ones work better than the free versions do, then so be it. What makes the free ones free anyway? Do they fill up my screen with advertising pop ups? How do they make their $$$?

I use a version of symantec. It's not a big resource hog and doesn't have all the nags that I've seen to upgrade to some super version or add some protection for each and every little thing. Like anti-hijack file trash can protection for batch files. :p

IMO, I think as long as you keep your routine apps updated and don't make a blatant mistake like open some strange e-mail attachment, there's not much need for AV software. They tend to have a lot of personal spam built into them now.

I also recommend Avast.... its free for home use, and uses VERY little resources compared to McAfee and Norton for Live Scan.... runner up would be AVG.

Avast has tested well for me in every OS including all 64 bit editions. Cant go wrong!

X3 I use Avast on all of my computers.

I use microsoft's free software. Haven't had a problem with it yet and it has been working great.

You can get it @: www.Microsoft.com/security-essentials

hope this helps!

I use microsoft's free software. Haven't had a problem with it yet and it has been working great.

You can get it @: www.Microsoft.com/security-essentials

hope this helps!
This Microsoft Security Essentials intrigues me. Straight from the source protection. Seems like it may work more seamlessly than other vendor's products might, and I would also hope they'd be well aware of what issues are plaguing their systems. I'm also looking at the Avast, mainly 'cause it's been recommended three times now in quick succession. Interesting how I'm gravitating to the free offerings.

Anyone else have experience with Microsoft Security Essentials? Or other software?

I have used avast and AVG in the past, I currently use avast. Its free and it works well..can't go wrong with that :thumbs:

I used Avast for well over a year...seemed to me to take up more resources than I wanted (but no where near as bad as Norton). I switched over to Avira (also free) and it works way better on my setups. Haven't looked back since. Linky

Derek

I've used both Avast and AVG. I like AVG slightly better for no particular reason.

As a side note, I LOVE Windows 7. It's everything I could hope for in an OS with a boot time of 1min 2 seconds. Very stable, great interface, overall a winner.

I've used both Avast and AVG. I like AVG slightly better for no particular reason.

As a side note, I LOVE Windows 7. It's everything I could hope for in an OS with a boot time of 1min 2 seconds. Very stable, great interface, overall a winner.

Windows 7 is awesome, plus I got it for free from dell.

Be sure to properly uninstall Norton AV. It can be more tenacious than a virus if you don't. I've seen this happen to friends.

I have used ESET Nod 32 for years already. One of the best out there, runner up would be Bit Defender

I have used AVG for years now and am still happy with it. Make sure to get and use a good firewall too. I use a free one called COMODO. It works great but is a little annoying for the first while as it "learns". Too many people rely on strictly anti-virus software where a firewall is your first line of defense. Maybe the Windows 7 one is already good enough? I don't know as I am still using XP pro.

Norton is bad, I have had so much trouble uninstalling it in the past that I had to re-install windows just to get rid of it.

I use AVG Free Home edition. I also use Avast! on my second PC. Both work great, are free, and have never let a virus enter my system.

I'd also recommend MalwareBytes' Anti-Malware. Its free and catches some of the web based junk that isn't really virus, but you don't want on your PC either. Like spyware, key loggers, adobe exploits, etc.