• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

computer help

psyktek

Frugal Old Fart!
Why is Quicken seeing these drives as read-only? How do I correct this?

(Pretty straight-forward, yes?) :)

Quicken and any other application will see a DVD/CD RW (ReWritable) disc as read only unless you install a peice of software called a packet writer. This allows you to copy/write files to the RW discs the same way you do to a dard drive or network drive.

Check out Nero's Buring Rom InCD package for packet writing.

http://ww2.nero.com/enu/InCD_4.html

As far as I know some packet writers work with R (Recordable) media, but not all of them do, so I cannot confimr it would work.

But I assume you are trying to do a backup of your quicken files, if that is the case just use nero or adaptec or whatever to burn a copy to your media and you are done, far less messy.

- K

The new Quicken (2006) has a much better interface with XP's CD-burning software, so it's a little easier than it has been. But the older Quicken (2004 and earlier) was a one click deal.
Roxio works (awkwardly), InVision CD & DVD burning software is a little easier, but I do miss that simplicity.

And, that Read Only parameter really bothers me, since these are both R/W drives.

(And pay no attention to Neal; he's been longing for a mandatory return to quill pens and abacii for years. :laugh: )