• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer program compatibility question

Gonz

Ultra Runner
So, for how often I never use my computer for things like writing letters, or any documents, or for making charts and spreadsheets, I don't have any decent programs for these things.

Yes, believe it or not, I don't actually have Microsoft Word or Excel!

So my question is this:

I do have Word Perfect, which I believe is by Corel. And I was hoping to be able to use that for an upcoming pass to list participant's info as well as the Put/Takes list. And save that file on a disk to be included in the pass.

If I save this as a wordperfect (.wpd) program, will anyone else actually be able to open it up and edit it? Will Microsoft Word automatically recognize it and reformat it?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gonz

Gonz said:
So, for how often I never use my computer for things like writing letters, or any documents, or for making charts and spreadsheets, I don't have any decent programs for these things.

Yes, believe it or not, I don't actually have Microsoft Word or Excel!

So my question is this:

I do have Word Perfect, which I believe is by Corel. And I was hoping to be able to use that for an upcoming pass to list participant's info as well as the Put/Takes list. And save that file on a disk to be included in the pass.

If I save this as a wordperfect (.wpd) program, will anyone else actually be able to open it up and edit it? Will Microsoft Word automatically recognize it and reformat it?

Or does anyone have any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Gonz
[snapback]194371[/snapback]​

.Open Office
www.openoffice.org it is a free open source office proggie that is compatable with the entire m/s office suite. it has an excell,wrod and powerpoint programs and is completly free!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;)

When you send the file to some one, they'll need to change the extension from .wpd to .doc when they save it.

Instead of saving as PassList.wpd change the name to PassList .doc

Of course those with Corel Word Perfect will have no problem opening your files. Those who have the more popular (and more expensive) MS Word will however be able to open any Word Perfect file since MS Word will read .wpd files. Unfortunately the reverse is not true. The other option is to save it as a PDF (.pdf) file but I think editiing becomes problematic with PDF files.

My $.02

I would possibly suggest keeping it all electronic.

I don't have capabilities to read discettes! But housing the word/excel doc somewhere online, or via e-mail is cool.

Or we could just have the person prior to me burn it to a cd, then Ill edit and reburn, then the person after me can take that and throw in back on a diskette!

Not to cause any dilema. It's to be there isn't a web-site/program that could house a secure database. Only members of the pass would have access, and all Puts and Takes are just housed in the document.

Man that would be cool. If only I knew how...i do have a cousin that knows.

if I built a file like this and housed it on my website, would people be interested?

Or here is a radical idea for the put/take list in a pass . . .

Pencil and Paper :0

JAEwing said:

[snapback]194430[/snapback]​
people still use those devices ? :rolleyes:

Sir Bedevere: ...and that, my liege, is how we know the Earth to be banana shaped.
King Arthur: This new learning amazes me, Sir Bedevere. Explain again how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.

grand cru no 2 said:
Simply do it in wordpad. Everyone has it and everyone can edit it. My .02
[snapback]194409[/snapback]​
QFT - a *.txt file is about as universal "lowest common denominator" as you can find. Every operating system I'm aware of has native tools to deal with text files.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

Best answer - if you (everyone) are willing upgrade to open office
if not, save your files in .rtf (rich text format)

MSword, MSwordpad, editpad, open office, and word perfect can all read and save in this format

JAEwing said:

[snapback]194430[/snapback]​

Not with my chicken scratch!

I'm w/ Gonz...I don't have Word. I have a "recreational use only" computer.

I use the notepad for all my addy's. I have too much tied up in Cable, MP3's, cigars, cars, etc. etc., to go and buy something that I'm not going to use very often.

arent there forums for discussing and editing and posting pictures of such a pass.
couldnt we just document it here?

It could all be done in the thread for the pass, but (in my opinion) it's much easier and cleaner to have a list and disk in the pass for such updates. I can imagine trying to do it all in the thread could get messy and confusing quickly.

I found in the Working Man's pass that having a list on paper was very easy to deal with. And having most of it typed out was much easier than trying to read other folks handwriting.

Back