• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Computer question

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
Alright, here's the dilemma:

I have 1400 files with names such as:

P09001
P10002
P11101

I need to remove the P from all of these file names.

I've tried renaming them in dos, but it only let's me change the first letter not remove it. I tried using a space but it just puts a space in front and it still doesn't do what I need. If there is a way to remove the letter I do not know it.

Any ideas on how to do this?

do a ren P0*.* 0* and a ren P1*.* 1*. That should do it.

I tested this before I posted. It works for me. Make sure you are in the directory that has the files you want to rename and try a cut & paste of what I typed. I rechecked it on the command box in XP and Win 2K and it works in both.

OK, I'm wrong. I mis-read that you only want the number and not a replacement of the "p". My bad. :(

That did it! Thanks AVB. It's funny I had found that on google but in my mind when I read it I thought it said free trial.

That saved me from a very tedious situation.

Thanks! :thumbs:

wow I had a similar problem before.

I need to get that utility!

why wouldn't ren P*.* *.* work?

JC

Lumberg, it won't work because you aren't renaming anything with that. P*.* says take everything that begings with "P". the *.* says take everything including "P" so there is no rename.

I tried the ? thing, didn't work either.

So what were all these files for anyway?

1400 of 'em?

Student ID pictures. I needed to get them from one program to another. But when I exported it from the first program it put a P infront of their ID number.

Where was I in your time of need? ???
The DOS batch for command is really powerful.

for %d in (p*) do echo %d >> listing
for /F "delims=p " %f in (listing) do ren p%f %f

If you want to put it in a .bat file, trade all % for %%

MonkeyK said:
Where was I in your time of need? ???
The DOS batch for command is really powerful.

If you want to put it in a .bat file, trade all % for %%
Damn

I used to call myself a batch file guru and even I dont understand that completely!

little tutorial for a nearly dead scripting language:

For acts on everything in the list in parenthesis, by default this is a directory listing, but it could be some DOS command.
The %d is a variable to hold the current thing that for is acting on.
so

says for each file that starts with a "p", output its name to a file called listing. ">>" means to append output. The first line creates a list of all files that you want to act on.

The /F option for the for command says to act on the file contents

says to process all files in the file listing. "delims=p " says to break each line up, using the letter p as a delimiter. This result in the variable %f being the name of each file after the "p". The second line takes the "p" off of each file name, sets that to a variable and then renames the the file.

Back