• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Concerts : Your first, your last, your favorite and the one you wished you had seen?

bfreebern

Yada, Yada, Yada.
Posting videos to the Daily Jam thread, had me reminiscing about concerts. Figured I'd start a thread and see what everyone else's concerts are/were.

First concert : 1987 Stryper in Tulsa. Saw them again in 1988 for In God We Trust tour, with White Lion.

White Lion

Favorite Concert : 1997 Blockbuster Rockfest at the Dallas Speedway. Bush, Collective Soul, Counting Crows, Jewel, Matchbox Twenty, No Doubt, Sugar Ray, The Wallflowers, Third Eye Blind. Girlfriend was excited to see Counting Crows, but it was so f'ing hot.

1997 Blockbuster Rock Fest playlist

Other favorite concerts : 1994 Eagles Hell Freezes Over 7/1994 in Dallas, Dave Matthews Band 9/2000 Dallas Tx...

Last Concert : Christ Stapleton 11/2021 Tulsa

Most concerts by 1 performer : I think we've seen Zac Brown Band 5 times.

Wished I would have seen : Prince, Jeff Buckley, Nirvana, Michael Jackson

First major concert: 1990 ZZ Top / Santana / Steve Miller Band @ The Cotton Bowl, Dallas TX

I also Attended the 1997 Rockfest at the Speedway, probably should have been named "The concert in Hell". It was so F'ing hot" is an understatement! You left off The Nixons which was a great 90's band, IMO

Favorite Concert: So hard to choose one, but maybe the first time we saw Young the Giant at the Santa Barbra Bowl, CA The music was amazing the venue was amazing, and we were high as F@#$

Other favorites: Pearl Jam, Depeche Mode, Willie Nelson, Moth & The Flame opening for Naked and Famous, they stole the show they were so good, which started a tradition for us when vacationing in CA for a few years.

Honorable mentions: Creed, The Cure, Merle Hagger, George Straight, Garth Brooks-NOT Chris Gaines 🤣

Last Concert: I think was Death Cab for Cutie, Great performance!

Most concerts: Moth & the Flame 6 times

Wish I had seen: Prince, Nirvana, Elvis to name a few...

First: Randy Hanson - sometime in the mid '70's

Most: Grateful Dead - no idea how many; maybe 20 or so?

Favorite: First Dead concert at Veneta Fair Grounds, Oregon 1982. Close runners up: Supertramp Breakfast in America Tour 1979 in Seattle, and The Who in San Francisco maybe 1980 or so.

Wished I could have seen: Jimi Hendrix, Janis Joplin, Doors

Last: Maybe Kentucky Head Hunters, but not really sure; was probably early 2000's

Last edited:
No way I can remember what my first concert was, I still have a few ticket stubs from back then with the usual suspects - Black Sabbath, Nazareth, AC/DC, Nugent, Van Halen, Judas Priest, etc. A couple from lighter bands like Boston, REO Speedwagon and Kansas.

Favorite - probably that first Van Halen concert. They were just starting out but you could tell they were going to be playing bigger venues than Amarillo.

Last one was Rush in Vegas, July 2015. Wish I could have seen? Rush, maybe 30 years earlier.

No way I can remember what my first concert was, I still have a few ticket stubs from back then with the usual suspects - Black Sabbath, Nazareth, AC/DC, Nugent, Van Halen, Judas Priest, etc. A couple from lighter bands like Boston, REO Speedwagon and Kansas.

Favorite - probably that first Van Halen concert. They were just starting out but you could tell they were going to be playing bigger venues than Amarillo.

Last one was Rush in Vegas, July 2015. Wish I could have seen? Rush, maybe 30 years earlier.
I saw the Rush 2112 tour in Seattle, but hands down my least favorite concert. Only because I took a date, and she left with someone else 🤣.

Friends of mine went to Black Sabbath, and the opening act was Van Halen. I remember them saying Van Halen completely stole the show. Wish I had went to that one.

First :Tim Mcgraw
Last: KISS
Favorite: Motley Crew/Cheap Trick
Wish: Charlie Daniels , bought tickets 9 months before and he passed before concert

Friends of mine went to Black Sabbath, and the opening act was Van Halen. I remember them saying Van Halen completely stole the show. Wish I had went to that one.
I'm not certain, I'll have to look, but I think Black Sabbath/Van Halen is one of the stubs I have.

I can't remember if I've told the story, so here goes.

Van Halen was on stage and they were killing it. Lots of stuff getting tossed onto the stage- nice stuff like flowers and ladies underwear, not bottles and bricks. Anyway, somebody tosses a Cheech and Chong sized joint up on the stage, like a forearm sized joint.

David Lee Roth waves his arms and the band stops cold. He reaches down, grabs the joint and takes a toke. Says "I guess things really are fuckin' bigger in Texas" and tosses the joint back to the crowd. Place goes insane, band picks right back up like nothing even happened.

Last edited:
First: KISS in State College, PA / 1997

Last: Tenacious D in Amsterdam / 2020

Best: Either the first time I saw Metallica (Parking lot show in Philadelphia / 1997), the last time I saw Flogging Molly (Frankfurt, Germany / 2014), or Guns 'N Roses (Hawaii / 2018)

Worst: Bieber. When you have kids, you go to see who they want to see, too... :(

Most: Tossup between Metallica, Flogging Molly, and Alter Bridge -- All three are around 8-10.

Wish: B.B. King (I had tickets to go see him in Memphis on my birthday one year, but ended up deploying), Tom Petty, Prince, Elton John/Billy Joel "Piano Men" tour -- way too many more to think of, but I tried to stick with those who I actually missed, rather than before my time.

Next: Coldplay in Amsterdam this summer

I also Attended the 1997 Rockfest at the Speedway, probably should have been named "The concert in Hell". It was so F'ing hot" is an understatement! You left off The Nixons which was a great 90's band, IMO

Yes the Nixons, I love Sister. Also would have loved to have seen The Cure 30 years ago.

Great idea on this thread Brandon!! Even if you have seen Zach Brown band 5 times...

Hey now, when the wife wants to go to a Zac Brown concert, you don't say no. Also have seen Blake Shelton 3 times, but I didn't want to mention that, for the same reasons as Zac Brown 🤣
Van Halen was on stage and they were killing it. Lots of stuff getting tossed onto the stage- nice stuff like flowers and ladies underwear, not bottles and bricks. Anyway, somebody tosses a Cheech and Chong sized joint up on the stage, like a forearm sized joint.

David Lee Roth waves his arms and the band stops cold. He reaches down, grabs the joint and takes a toke. Says "I guess things really are fuckin' bigger in Texas" and tosses the joint back to the crowd. Place goes insane, band picks right back up like nothing even happened.

Early 2000's, David Lee Roth comes to Tulsa and plays at a small venue. Like maybe the size of 2 basketball courts put side by side, it was crazy packed. Someone up front, no idea how, passes him a bottle Jack. He cracks it open, chugs maybe a 1/4 of the bottle, then sprays the rest on the crowd.

I'm not certain, I'll have to look, but I think Black Sabbath/Van Halen is one of the stubs I have.

I can't remember if I've told the story, so here goes.

20230309_170902.jpg

First - Marshal Tucker, ZZ Top and Charlie Daniels
Last - Grateful Dead or at least some of them
Best - Stephen Stills - in a parking lot at Wesleyan University - One man show. Couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 hundred people there. It was all acoustical guitar We sat on quickly assembled aluminum bleacher.
Worst - Allman Brothers in the rain in a field that quickly turned to mud. The band was under a band shelter so they kept playing. Or it could have been the 13th row floor seats I had for Lynyard Skynyrd when their plane went down.

Best - Stephen Stills - in a parking lot at Wesleyan University - One man show. Couldn't have been more than 4 or 5 hundred people there. It was all acoustical guitar We sat on quickly assembled aluminum bleacher.
Worst - Allman Brothers in the rain in a field that quickly turned to mud. The band was under a band shelter so they kept playing. Or it could have been the 13th row floor seats I had for Lynyard Skynyrd when their plane went down.
Re: Lynyrd Skynyrd -- I was at the last concert Leon Wilkeson played before he died. :(

Fun idea for a thread!

First: Motley Crue at Nassau Coliseum (Long Island, NY) 1987 or 88
Last: Lionel Ritchie at Radio City Music Hall 2019- He's still an amazing performer and really knows how to interact with the crowd by telling stories throughout the show about his career.
Best: Pink Floyd at Giants Stadium during the Division Bell tour (Early to mid 90's) Just an insane performance, light show, etc. They just flat out rocked!
Worst: Without question Phil Collins at Madison Square Garden 2019. He literally sat in a chair in the center of the stage and halfheartedly sang as if he was just there for the paycheck. It was so painful we left halfway through the concert and we weren't the only ones.

Fun idea for a thread!

First: Motley Crue at Nassau Coliseum (Long Island, NY) 1987 or 88
Last: Lionel Ritchie at Radio City Music Hall 2019- He's still an amazing performer and really knows how to interact with the crowd by telling stories throughout the show about his career.
Best: Pink Floyd at Giants Stadium during the Division Bell tour (Early to mid 90's) Just an insane performance, light show, etc. They just flat out rocked!
Worst: Without question Phil Collins at Madison Square Garden 2019. He literally sat in a chair in the center of the stage and halfheartedly sang as if he was just there for the paycheck. It was so painful we left halfway through the concert and we weren't the only ones.

I saw Pink Floyd for their Division Bell tour as well, at Texas Stadium. I still listen to that album and love it, being a huge Pink Floyd fan.

I saw Pink Floyd for their Division Bell tour as well, at Texas Stadium. I still listen to that album and love it, being a huge Pink Floyd fan.
They're one of my favorite bands as well. I saw them on that tour at Giants stadium, Yankee Stadium, and Nassau Coliseum. The Giants stadium show was just out of control and they were able to do some "effects" there they couldn't at others due to the size of the stadium. While that album doesn't get the same love as some of their older stuff I think it's a great album and holds it's own aginst the "Big Hits"

First- Dave Matthews Band at the old Foxboro Stadium in 1998
Last- Norah Jones & Regina Spektor 8/2/2022 at the Leader Bank Pavilion at the Boston Seaport
Favorite- Toss up between Billy Joel in Providence 3/6/99, Billy Joel & Elton John Face to Face at Gillette Stadium 7/18/09, and Tool 2/19/22 TD Bank Boston Garden but I have so many others I could think of as well...this is hard for a musician 🤣

Wish: I honestly can't think of one!

Wow! That is one I wish I had seen!