• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

confused about cigar flavor generator

Amalgam

Hi you guys,

OK here is the newbie. I am kind of confused about what area of the cigar generates the most flavor. I have read once that "categorically" the Wrapper is where the most flavor comes from. Also I read the "categorically" the wrapper is not the most flavor producer in a cigar. I have assumed that since the wrapper is what? 5% of the cigar it should not be that big on the final flavor. I have also noticed that the wrapper is the only one that is called by name and last name, they only mention the country of origin for the filer and binder. Why the importance of the wrapper above the other two components? Is it the wrapper the most important flavor giver? should I classified cigar on my cigar log by wrapper, or by the entire denomination? Any help about flavor would be really appreciate.

Thank you

Alfredo

I've heard folks that know say the wrapper is 85-95% of the cigars overall flavor. How they come up with that is anyone's guess.

Hi you guys,

OK here is the newbie. I am kind of confused about what area of the cigar generates the most flavor. I have read once that "categorically" the Wrapper is where the most flavor comes from. Also I read the "categorically" the wrapper is not the most flavor producer in a cigar. I have assumed that since the wrapper is what? 5% of the cigar it should not be that big on the final flavor. I have also noticed that the wrapper is the only one that is called by name and last name, they only mention the country of origin for the filer and binder. Why the importance of the wrapper above the other two components? Is it the wrapper the most important flavor giver? should I classified cigar on my cigar log by wrapper, or by the entire denomination? Any help about flavor would be really appreciate.

Thank you

Alfredo

Alfredo is asking a question that I am interested in as well. How does the wrapper contribute so much to the over all flavor being such a small percentage of the stogie? I recd. a tripple maduro from Cigar.com a few days ago in my sampler. Is it all the same leaves?

The easiest way to find out is to test it yourself. There are plenty of cigars that are readily available and come in different wrappers. Fuente 838 Natural / Maduro / SunGrown or Padron x000 series in Natural / Maduro are just two examples. If you pick up different examples of the same cigar, the only difference will be the wrapper.

The easiest way to find out is to test it yourself. There are plenty of cigars that are readily available and come in different wrappers. Fuente 838 Natural / Maduro / SunGrown or Padron x000 series in Natural / Maduro are just two examples. If you pick up different examples of the same cigar, the only difference will be the wrapper.

This is a great idea and i am going to give this a try with the Padron 2000. I have never even had a nattie so I want to give this a try. a nice side by side comparison. Do you think it would be better to smoke them together or one after another?

I wouldn't go one after another. I know there have been some side by side reviews of 2 cigars smoked at the same time (which ones, I forget, maybe I'll try to search and see what I can find). Side by side would be ideal.

I will get this done by the end of the week I am really curious now for a new guy like me how noticeable the diffrences will be.

I quickly scanned the review list. I didn't find many that were a direct comparison, but I did find some that were reviews of re-wrapped cigars (cigars which had their existing wrapper removed and replaced with the wrapper from another one). Those should give you an idea of the differences, too. For your reading pleasure:

Padron Millennium Maduro / Natural
Opus xXx Maduro / Rosado
WOAM double wrap
Short Story re-wrap
Another Short Story re-wrap
Anejo re-wrap

I know there are more, but this is what I found looking quickly.

For a true smoking experience you should try any barberpole or dual wrap cigar, the taste is amazing.

Aren't you kind of putting the cart before the horse? Why not smoke cigars for five or 10 years and then start a cigar blog. Think of all the knowledge you'll have gained by then that you can share with the world.

Moe, I could be wrong, but I think the OP said "log", not "Blog". Makes sense, especially for us newbs, to keep track of what we have smoked and what we thought it them with as much detail as possible. I don't go as far as documenting the country of origin, but I do usually write down and keep track of what I'm smoking. If it's a regular smoke and something unique is experienced out of the norm for that stick, I'll write down any contributing factors (drink, previous food, etc).

Or, I could be wrong, and this is Famous Cigars back looking for information for his super-informational and fact-based website... :)

Thank you guys for all the answers and Ideas:

tomthirtysix: As Tall Paul said, it is a great idea and I will try it out. I also had the idea to unroll a or several sticks and smoke the different parts by themselves in a pipe and see the difference difference between the components and the entire thing.

Moe: Kann is right, I said my 'LOG" I keep track of everything I smoke so I can compare with the same cigar in another occasion or another cigars. From here is that the question came from, because when I look for information on the cigar that I smoke they list the wrapper down to the "T" but then the filler and the binder are either not mention at all or just by country of origin; they do not mentioned specie or any technique used to produce them.

Time for my dumb question of this month. How do we KNOW that the internals of a natural Padron 2000 are the SAME of that of the 2000 Maduro? I am not trying to be an azzhat, but knowing and assumption are two different things.

This is a great idea and i am going to give this a try with the Padron 2000. I have never even had a nattie so I want to give this a try. a nice side by side comparison. Do you think it would be better to smoke them together or one after another?

IMO there is not a big difference in the Padron 2000 Maduro and Natural. You might be better doing his first suggestion of the 858's. Also might make more of an impression mentally if you smoke them together with your tongue fresh for both in the initial stage.

ETA: Sorry, didn't see Tom already answered my last sentence.

My apologies, Alfredo. And thanks Kann for pointing that out.

As to your question, I've wondered the same thing for years. What I've learned is you're only going to get so much info out of the manufacturer. It does make sense if you stop and think about it. Think of it as a proprietary blend, not much different than Coca-Cola or Windex, just to name two examples. They have to list the ingredients, but percentages are well guarded to protect their brand name. Cigars aren't much different, as most blenders want to protect all the R&D they have in each blend.

As to wrapper vs. the rest of the blend, that's one of the joys of cigar smoking; The exploration. Buy a sampler from any reputable blender that has a full range of vitolas. For example the Padron 1964 line or the Ashton VSG. There is a wide variety of Ring Gauges within those lines. A thinner RG cigar will feature more of the wrapper's taste, such as the Padron 1964 Superior. It has a RG of 42 so there is not a whole lot of room left for filler/binder. But if you jump up to the Imperial of the same line (re: blend), now you have a RG of 54 and some of that wrapper taste is muted because there is more filler/binder. Same cigar maker, same basic blend of tobacco, but two very distinct tastes (at least to me) because of the Ring Guage.

I just ran across this tip:
Take your cigar, and a double guillotine cutter, placing the cigar inside the cutter, with it positioned about an inch up from the foot. Place just enough pressure on the cutter blades to make a shallow cut on the wrapper. Rotate the cutter with the blades at this depth to make sure the cut goes evenly around the circumference. Peel the wrapper off from the foot. You should now have an exposed foot cigar. Light up, and take note of the flavor before you hit the wrapper and after. I think of it like stripping wires for electrical work.

That's how I cut my cigars, but it's important to note that you should probably moisten the cap before you do this. Otherwise you could unravel the cigar. I know this first hand. :angry:

That's how I cut my cigars, but it's important to note that you should probably moisten the cap before you do this. Otherwise you could unravel the cigar. I know this first hand. :angry:
He's talking about taking in inch of wrapper off the foot of the cigar, shaggy style. Then smoking it and seeing how it changes as you move back into the part of the cigar that still has a wrapper.

I assume you don't cut your cigars that way... :)

I'm gonna stay out of this thread as I haven't comprehended one single post correctly so far. I switched glues that I sniff so that may be the culprit.