• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Congratulations, Illinois

LilBastage

Meat is murder! Tasty, tasty murder.
I just got a little notice in the mail of a red light violation from a trip through Illinois last month. Apparently, stopping for a full 2 seconds before turning right at an intersection isn't long enough for the good folks in charge of the quaint Hamlet of Fox River Grove, Ill.

The fact that I stopped a full foot or two in front of the stop bar and not all the way behind it (so I could actually see that there was no oncoming traffic) means that I ran the light. They consider that a "rolling stop" according to the violation notice I received.

We drive through Illinois quite often to visit our family in Indiana. We pay a boat load of tolls on each trip, we often stop for gas and food, and many times we split up the trip home into two days and grab a hotel room.

No longer will we be doing those things when we make the necessary trip through Illinois on our way home to Indiana and back. We will gas up and grab a bite to eat in Wisconsin and we will no longer stop overnight anywhere in the state of Illinois. We will also be taking a round about route in order to avoid your punishing tolls.

I realize that this is a local camera and the locals are in control of it, however, the state can do something about it.

So, congratulations. You've managed to squeeze an extra $100 out of me for our last trip through your state (since there's really no practical way to contest the violation). You won't be seeing any more of our money in the years to come. If I could find a way to avoid the state of Illinois altogether without adding a day to our trips, I would.

I've found that breaking four additional traffic laws satisfies my need for payback. Plus when you divide the fine by the now five violations it makes the fine much more palatable. Just saying...

I can understand your frustration.  It is funny that they don't think we have any sort of payback.  I always figure out a way to get even.

Living in Illinois, and traveling up to Chicago/Northwestern Indiana frequently the frustration with tolls as well.  Sorry for all you went through, but our state has been going to hell for a long time, and I fear somehow they'll find ways to make it worse.