• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Connecticut Tobacco Farm - planting time

jgohlke

My other hobby
If you've been around a while you might remember my previous visits to the farm. If not, here are the links of the previous posts:

Winter on the farm

Harvest time

I just finished a visit to the farm during planting, so this pretty much completes the full season. The plants start out as seeds in landscapers planting trays like this:
standard.jpg

After just a couple of weeks in a greenhouse they (Connecticut Shade) look this:
standard.jpg

and the broadleaf looks like:
standard.jpg

They pull all the trays and go through them, picking out the sprouts that are ready for planting and leaving the smaller ones to grow for another week or so. All of this is done by hand by the farm hands.
standard.jpg

The end up with a stack of empty trays and some replanted sprouts still too little to plant in the fields.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Once they move the big plastic white trays full of sprouts to the field, they use this contraption to get them in the ground.
standard.jpg

The planters sit facing backwards with a tray of sprouts. The tractor pulls the planter which has 5 stations. Each station has a blade to cut into the ground, a pair of offset wheel to separate and then repack the dirt and a little hand to stick the plant in the ground. The big jug also dispenses water into each sprout. The guys sit and place a sprout on each hand as it comes around. The tractor goes pretty slow, but even still the planters miss the occasional hand, the guys walking behind pick up the slack by hand.
standard.jpg

standard.jpg

Here's a sprout close-up.
standard.jpg

Most of the land they use for farming is leased and they have to pay for the right to farm it. They use the land 3 years in a row and then let it sit for at least 1 year, sometimes 2. During the off years they plant rye, which they plow under at the end of the season.
standard.jpg

The cost for leasing is the same, whether they plant rye or tobacco.

Since my family works in the farm garage, I thought I would post pictures of the current projects. An old tractor, completely rebuilt and almost ready to go:
standard.jpg

A school bus, ready for paint and some engine work. They will use this to move the workers around.
standard.jpg

The day before my visit, they had a bus load of farm hands cut a corner too sharp in the field and slide into a ditch. The bus ended up on the side. Nobody was hurt and they got the bus out with some chain and one of their excavators.

Hope you enjoyed the farm tour!

I actually worked on a broadleaf tobacco farm when I was in high school.
During harvest season. It was the only job one could get when they were 14.
It was durty sweaty work. But at fourteen who cared. I loved being able to buy my school clothes at the end of the season.

Where is this located in CT? Do they give tours? How much does it cost? What is the place called?

I WANT TO GO !!!!!!

There are a LOT of farms in CT. Connecticut river valley has some of the best soil and seasonal conditions for growing.

Nice pictorial...next time your in CT let's smoke!!!

I was n Bloomfield, CT..which is just out side Hartford a few yrs ago, it is a cool site, driving down a road with tobacco plants on both sides, and to see the old tobacco barns everywhere.
Rob

Great pics Joe and as Gary stated, let us know when you and Merry come back up so we can Herf...... :) :thumbs: :cool:

Thanks guys. I look forward to some herf time when we come back this way. It was a very quick trip this time, just 2 days in Enfield, CT. for a visit with the in-laws, 1 day of which, I spent at the farm. Merry (my wife) and I are working our way home as I write this. We zigged and zagged some in Virginia and North Carolina, mostly on the Blue Ridge Parkway. We spent the day today at the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. They were offering portrait photos inside the house today. "Sitting in the smoking room with a cigar in my mouth?" I asked. "No, standing in the arboretum, no cigar." they replied. Bummer.....

Last stop is Hilton Head before we head for home.

Where is this located in CT? Do they give tours? How much does it cost? What is the place called?

I WANT TO GO !!!!!!

Last time I went to central Mass, I flew into Hartford. The road to the airport has farms on it. I didn't have time to stop to see if they gave tours though.