• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Considering opening a B&M Cigar/Pipe Store

dkbmusic

I would imagine this has been discussed here before, my searches thus far are striking out...

I'm thinking about either purchasing an existing business, or starting my own tobacco shop. I currently run a very successful full-line music store, so I'm very familiar with the details of retail. However, I'd like to get some more info on what it takes to start or run a good cigar shop. Any store owners on here care to comment? What kind of money is needed to start a business like this? If you are a store owner and would like to talk about it privately, please email or PM me.

Also, for those that are just enthusiasts (which makes up the rest of us), what would you like to see in your ideal B&M cigar shop? I'm thinking in addition to the retail side of selling tobacco and accessories that I would also have a cigar lounge type area. Something large enough and comfortable enough where people could come and smoke all-year round, meet interesting people, etc...

Any feedback you guys could offer would be much appreciated.

I have done a few threads on this. Do a search on my name. Good luck, I already have a ton of time invested in it and it stills seems like forever away.

As a cigar store reatiler I would highly recommend that you are in a free standing building. With the way the tobacco laws are going.

Already done it... Anyone else have anything to add?

I have done a few threads on this. Do a search on my name. Good luck, I already have a ton of time invested in it and it stills seems like forever away.

As a cigar store reatiler I would highly recommend that you are in a free standing building. With the way the tobacco laws are going.

That's an interesting observation. Care to elaborate?

The smoking Nazi's are claiming that smoke travels into neighbors spaces. I think one city in the USA has banned smoking in apartments because of this. I'm sure that trend will catch on and then spread to retail spaces.

The smoking Nazi's are claiming that smoke travels into neighbors spaces. I think one city in the USA has banned smoking in apartments because of this. I'm sure that trend will catch on and then spread to retail spaces.

Jeffersonville, In has a smoking ban, suprisingly sensible because smoking is not regulated in a tobacco store but the smoke can't travel to adjoining spaces so stripmalls are pretty much out unless you have firewalls or etc.

Okay, I see what you mean. Well, where I'm located it's not gotten quite as bad as other places in the country. Plus, the space I have in mind does have a firewall. I would just need to upgrade the ventilation system to accommodate cigar/tobacco smoking in the store.

So, no one has chimed in to say what you would like to see in your ideal B&M cigar shop? I'd love to get some opinions from the devoted enthusiasts among us.

Okay, I see what you mean. Well, where I'm located it's not gotten quite as bad as other places in the country. Plus, the space I have in mind does have a firewall. I would just need to upgrade the ventilation system to accommodate cigar/tobacco smoking in the store.

So, no one has chimed in to say what you would like to see in your ideal B&M cigar shop? I'd love to get some opinions from the devoted enthusiasts among us.
See HERE. This was discussed just over a month ago.

Good luck to you in your business venture.