• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Consistancy = $?

Shiro

A quick newb question. I have set a dollar limit on my purchases that is on the low side (3$ per stick). I know that's not much but it's what I can do,and I'm really having a blast with it. I have noticed that if I get a 5 or 10 pack, each cigar is different. They don't burn the same, they don't taste quite the same, etc. Is this because of the quality and price I'm at? Are the expensive cigars more consistant? It would be nice to grab a stick and know what to expect. The upside is every smoke is an new adventure :laugh:

A quick newb question. I have set a dollar limit on my purchases that is on the low side (3$ per stick). I know that's not much but it's what I can do,and I'm really having a blast with it. I have noticed that if I get a 5 or 10 pack, each cigar is different. They don't burn the same, they don't taste quite the same, etc. Is this because of the quality and price I'm at? Are the expensive cigars more consistant? It would be nice to grab a stick and know what to expect. The upside is every smoke is an new adventure :laugh:

Unfortunately even the high end cigars like LFD, Tat's, Fuente, Padrons and many others can have issues with burning. Even my beloved Opus X has flaws in them which includes channels. But generally speaking you will run in less problems with these brands than you will most others.

Generally, you get what you pay for. But, there are plenty of great low-end cigars with spot-on construction. That's one of the adventures of this hobby: finding the perfect cigar in your price range.

Also, where you buy your stock from can have a huge impact on how they smoke. CI/CBID vs. a smaller shop with some know-how. Then there's your own storage conditions, rest time, etc...

Keep researchin... :thumbs:

Be sure to check out the Flor de Oliva line. I really enjoy their maduro wrappers. They are bar far and away the best cigar for the price you pay. :thumbs:

There will always be some unit to unit variation in any handmade product. Simple as that, I believe.

Giving the cigars rest time together should help the issues. If one will have burn issues, usually the rest will have some type of issue to. Dry boxing may help with those stubborn ones.

Price doesn't necessarily predict quality except maybe in the ultra low end of the spectrum. Those are all likely to suck. One of the more reasonably priced, consistent cigars out there IMO is 5 Vegas Series A's. Over on cigarbid you can pick them up on the cheap, they taste good, and you rarely get a bad one.

Unfortunately even the high end cigars like LFD, Tat's, Fuente, Padrons and many others can have issues with burning. Even my beloved Opus X has flaws in them which includes channels. But generally speaking you will run in less problems with these brands than you will most others.

I have smoked plenty of LFD and Padron, and between the two brands, I can count on one hand the total number of burn problems I have had.

I have smoked plenty of LFD and Padron, and between the two brands, I can count on one hand the total number of burn problems I have had.

Please read what I said again. I said they CAN have burn issues. I've had plenty of LFD and Padron's with issues. I snapped a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro in half when I said it tasted like an LFD. The workers at the B&M shop didn't believe me. Thus I snapped it in half. I've had issues with Opus X. These are hand made after all and they can't be perfect 100% of the time. Again..I should have put CAN like this so others can read and comprehend what is said. Instead of missing it. :p

Please read what I said again. I said they CAN have burn issues. I've had plenty of LFD and Padron's with issues. I snapped a Padron 1926 #2 Maduro in half when I said it tasted like an LFD. The workers at the B&M shop didn't believe me. Thus I snapped it in half. I've had issues with Opus X. These are hand made after all and they can't be perfect 100% of the time. Again..I should have put CAN like this so others can read and comprehend what is said. Instead of missing it. :p

Obviously I saw where you said "can." Did you see where I said "I can count on one hand the total number of burn problems I have had."? If I had never had problems, I would have said I can count on zero hands. Maybe next time I will put ONE like this so others can read and comprehend what is said. Instead of missing it. :p

I am but a humble elf, but I have found a Bolivar Confradia Petit to be a real nice stick. It is small, but if you check out a certain site, you will find a box of twenty for $30. PM me and I will share the info. I just bought two boxes with a 6 - 2007 mfg. date.

As per my usual.....ooops - there are 24 per box.

Padron Londres can be found in or slightly more per stick than your set limit.... probably around $3.30 per stick.

I'll have to go along with most. These babies are made by hand. There is absolutely no way to make them all the exact same way. You will find flaws all the way up and down the price range. Keep searching for the perfect $3.00 stick. When you find it, don't tell anyone, that way the price won't go up. ;)

There's nothing wrong with your budget. If you are starting out, there are plenty of decent cigars within that range. I would recommend giving JR Alt's a try.

JR Alts are alternative cigars to a certain brand. The quality is pretty good too.
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=JR%20ALTERNATIVE

You can also purchase factory seconds, which are the real deal, however they may contain minor flaws. I can't think of any retailers who sell seconds currently, but they are out there. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck with the hobby, it's a lot of fun exploring new cigars!

You guys are great! Thanks for the info. I feel ALOT better about the direction I'm going in. I won't spend anymore time wondering if my budget was causing unessessary grief. You all have a great day and a nice smoke!

There's nothing wrong with your budget. If you are starting out, there are plenty of decent cigars within that range. I would recommend giving JR Alt's a try.

JR Alts are alternative cigars to a certain brand. The quality is pretty good too.
http://www.jrcigars.com/index.cfm?page=cigars&brand=JR%20ALTERNATIVE

You can also purchase factory seconds, which are the real deal, however they may contain minor flaws. I can't think of any retailers who sell seconds currently, but they are out there. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Good luck with the hobby, it's a lot of fun exploring new cigars!

It was my understand that the Flor de Oliva's I mentioned earlier are seconds off the Oliva line of cigars but I seem to be having a hard time finding information on the net to back this up at this time.

Try Mayorga Maduros.
Probably the best cheap stick I've tried.

For a little more the ever consistent Punch Champion.

-Rob

3x3's or 4x4's from BestCigarPrices.com are a real gem not many know about. They are Davidoff seconds and damned good. I've smoked quite a few and only had a couple with burn issues. Souldog smokes them too, so I'm sure he can attest to how good they are.

My favorite sub-$3 stick (at least when purchased by the box) is the Padron Londres. Fantastic cigar for the money.

3x3's or 4x4's from BestCigarPrices.com are a real gem not many know about. They are Davidoff seconds and damned good. I've smoked quite a few and only had a couple with burn issues. Souldog smokes them too, so I'm sure he can attest to how good they are.
Souldog hooked me up with a 4x4, and I agree, pretty nice little smoke.