• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Constantly cleaning up debris...

Marcos

I love you Rocky & Sammie and Bee...thank you
I have two pounds of beads, each in 1lb bags in my coolerdor. Humidity regulation is fine but every time I pick up one of the bags there is a significant amount of particulate that has fallen out of the bag and is resting in the coolerdor. I am assuming these are broken up beads. Is this common? Thanks

This is interesting. I have been considering swithching to beads and this was actually a concern of mine.... how well do the mesh bags actually contain the beads?

This is why I put my beads in a plastic tray now instead of the bags. I assume this is pretty normal, as I've read of others having the same thing happening. I'm not sure of the "reason" behind it, but if you add water directly to the beads, that may have something to do with their fracture.

This is interesting. I have been considering swithching to beads and this was actually a concern of mine.... how well do the mesh bags actually contain the beads?

I have one pound of beads divided between my cooler and desktop, and just keep both sitting in small tupperware containers (with no lids, obviously). I just spray some distilled water over the top of them when they start turning white, sometimes stir them around a little with my finger, and that's it. No mess, and I've never had a problem with humidity regulation.

I don't mean to threadjack but.... are the beads the same material as the crystals in the jar or are they a different material?

Nevermind, I found my answer. They are different.

I have two pounds split into one pound lots in nylon stockings. The mesh is small enough to keep particles from falling out and still allow humidity regulation.

Billy

I have four bags of beads that I bought from Viper. As long as you don't lay them on their side, the beads won't spill out. All of mine are standing vertical. As mentioned above, you can always just use small trays for the beads, just as effective.

My gal prolly thought I was some kinda perv (well, she knew that already) when I asked for some used nylons awhile back. :D

They work well, and don't leave any mess.

I was misting my beads and also had this problem. I started letting the beads hydrate folded into a damp towel and I think it fixed the problem. I have done this twice, and so far no new dust.

I have four bags of beads I bought from Viper over the years. I use the little mesh bags he sells.

Seems like they were a little "dusty" for a while but that eventually stopped. The mesh on the bags is small enough to contain even broken parts of beads.

They lay on their side in my humidor and I do look underneath them now and then. No issues.... :cool:

Cheers - B.B.S.

I believe Viper once posted, that adding water too quickly will shatter the beads, but they're still effective.

Doc.

Sometimes with rough handling during shipping some small shards can be in the beads when you put them in the mesh bags. This will stop after a little while and not come back.

If you pour distilled water on the beads too quickly the beads can crack which will cause some small shards again. The cracked beads and the small pieces still work as far as rh control is concerned but it can get a little messy sometimes.

Thanks all for replying! It seems these beads were very "dusty" to begin with. The initial cleanup after putting them in the mesh bags made me look like I was on a casting call for the sequel to Scarface :laugh: I misted the beads gently and do not think these are fractures from over saturating too quickly because the dust (more like fine sand) was there to begin with. They are doing an excellent job at regulating humidity tough. Once in the bag I took them to the sink and just shook the bag to get as much debris to fall out as possible. What is coming out are definitely not whole beads. I would estimate about a half teaspoon worth of dust for each 1lb of beads. The mesh bag is doing a fine job at keeping the whole beads inside. My only real concern is some of that dust getting on a naked single and me ingesting or smoking that stuff. Not a major issue though.

First the beads work great. i would suggext getting a spary bottle and keep it filled with distilled water as mentioned above. Qiuckest and easiest way to 'refill' the beads. And very little mess.

I would say that I too have flakes or pieces coming out of my tubes. Nothing major, but do notice it when refilling my beads. I keep the tube in my desk top separtated from my cigars. But I dont see it being a problems.

I think the holes in the tubes are bigger than the mesh bags.

But I dont think the pieces would affect the cigars.

For my Aristocrat Mini I made these:

gallery_2144_204_3178.jpg

But not using them since I purchased a Hydra unit. If anyone wants them PM. I have two with beads (thread jeck unintentional).

Al

It seems like there is a lot of suggestions for The Puck humidifiers. But these seem to be the same beads with large holes.

Does it mean that people who use this humidifier have the same trouble? Or is there a fine mesh cover for the beads?

I just put the full mesh bags in large 'to go cups' ( 2 bags at about 3/4# per bag).
Now, I don't soak the beads - this helps to prevent the possibility of them siting in water.
Sitting in water would not be good.

The bags keep form and there's open surface area all the way down to about 1/2 in. from the bottom.

We'll see how this works in my tuppidor.

(DOH! - with 2 end tables and 2 desktops....did I say Tuppidor!)

It seems like there is a lot of suggestions for The Puck humidifiers. But these seem to be the same beads with large holes.

Does it mean that people who use this humidifier have the same trouble? Or is there a fine mesh cover for the beads?

The Puck has a thin foam insert set in between the lid and the beads.

-Rob

I use nylon stockings to hold my beads and I've noticed the dust/residue with mine too, but it hasn't affected performance. To prevent it from getting all over my humidor, I rest the bag on a double layer of heavy duty tin foil and fold the edges up to create a lip. This has worked well for me. The bead particles stay localized. Like others, I use a spray bottle filled with distilled water to charge my beads.