• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Container for using BEAD humidification?

Toaster

Puff Puff Pass v2.0 2004
I'm about to add beads to a couple of my humi's soon, a coolador and a couple of desktops... how are you guys who use beads storing them in the humidors? I was thinking about a cassette tape box with holes drilled through it? to kind of mimic the velcro to the top elements that are in the desktops now?

In the cooler, probably just a tuperware thingy in the bottom, the kind you leave last nights left overs in... except a clean one :)

What's the idea's out there fellers? post some pictures too.

In my desktop I have one of the heartfelt tubes. In the cooler I have 1/2 lb. of beads in a shallow bowl. Just gotta be careful when you move stuff if the container is open.

mac

For the coolerdor: 8x8x2 Pyrex dish
For desktops: Heartfelt tubes

For travel humi: Heartfelt tube

Going to have to go with the above, tubes in my desktops and a bag in the larger humi. Congrats on the conversion.

I use a couple of shallow dishes, one with the beads in a mesh bag and the other one has the beads in a nylon/stocking(a clean one), just in case my clumsy ass spills the dish.

The tupperware sounds good, but why use a clean one, beef or broccoli flavored cigars might start a new trend.

Ken

Newbie, search is your friend :sign: Welcome "home" Tom, glad to see you.

I've converted the standard floral foam bricks by replacing the foam with beads.

Newbie, search is your friend :sign: Welcome "home" Tom, glad to see you.

I've converted the standard floral foam bricks by replacing the foam with beads.

You know I actually searched for this topic a couple of different ways, but obviously my search skills suck. I found lots of threads, but NONE of them were exactly what I was trying to ask...(and I know a thread like this exists somewhere on here- but I didn't have the skills or the patience to find it :( ) I kind of already knew most people were using a tuper thing or a nylon sock or draw string bag, but I was sure by now someone had done something clever? (which I am not clever by any stretch of the imagination - just so we're clear here! :D)

My velcro to the top elements, which I have replaced the foam in before, have slits running length-ways across them, and the slits are pretty big, the beads would roll out. I would need to put screen, netting, cheese cloth, nylon or something like that to keep the beads in there. I remember (Joe M maybe?) seeing somebody make a foam element from an old clear cassette tape box, and it worked great. I've used the tube things before, though not with beads of any kind, my results were less than desirable. The cigars near the tubes were soggy... That was NOT using beads however. I threw them out years ago (wish I kept'em now)

The cooler is pretty simple (I think), I was hoping to see some clever designs for the desktops - but the home built ones kind of clever... I was also hoping this might turn into a picture thread :whistling:

My "desk top" is actually inside my coolidor. I have my coolidor beads in some stockings. I find it's easier to spray with distilled H2O and it has a greater exposed surface area for better humidity control.

IMG_1527.jpg

For my Otter Box, I took an aluminum tube, drilled a bunch of really small holes in it, and filled it with beads. I find the shape of the tube fits perfectly.

IMG_1531.jpg

IMG_1529.jpg

IMG_1533.jpg

I hope this helps.

Billy

Hey Billy!!!! Nice pictures there my friend! NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Interesting tube you have there! ;) Looks terrific! (I'm jealous!)

Now not to swing this thread off topic here but, I saw your beads turned white........... I'm just learning about the beads - so bear with me... as I understand it, when they turn white thats bad? I poured some 50/50 on some beads - they turned white, and was informed by one of our own here at CP that this was a bad thing, and you (I) should let them absorb slowly instead of rapidly...?

SUPER PICTURES (get the hint people!?) THANK YOU!

50/50 and beads do not work together.

Distilled water only.

I have a homemade "puck" that I use in my ammo can Humi that I made. Also, I took the foam out of an old device and filled it with beads, then cut a small disk of some nylon filter paper that I found (in the Army you can find almost anything) and used that to make sure the beads did not spill out.

puck.jpg

This is my "puck" after I painted it black. It started out as a can that held the sample traps for our "sniffer" that samples the air around cars for trace explosives.

Hope this helps

Tim

Hey Billy!!!! Nice pictures there my friend! NOW THATS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now not to swing this thread off topic here but, I saw your beads turned white........... I'm just learning about the beads - so bear with me... as I understand it, when they turn white thats bad? I poured some 50/50 on some beads - they turned white, and was informed by one of our own here at CP that this was a bad thing, and you (I) should let them absorb slowly instead of rapidly...?

The colorless beads are ones that are saturated with water. As the give off the water (humidity) they will turn white. In order to keep an equilibrium, you want about 30% of the beads to be white. They are the ones that will absorb excess humidity while the colorless ones will give it out. I'm guessing the warning you received from other members was aimed at the use of 50/50. The only substance that should ever go into the beads is distilled water, not to be confused with "purified" or "drinking" water. IM your addy and I'll send you a spare tube.

Billy

You know I actually searched for this topic a couple of different ways, but obviously my search skills suck.

I'm just bustin your chops. :D

It's not so much that it's bad. Based on the literature I've read, the beads turn white when the distilled water (or pg solution) is applied directly to the beads. The beads have thousands of nanopores and those pores absorb the moisture through capillarity. When water is applied directly, the capillary action happens so fast that it causes the beads to heat up rapidly which creates microfractures within the beads. These mocrofractures give the beads their white appearance and would affect the beads ablity to absorb/desorb moisture to some degree but they should still work.

edit to add:

PG and Beads, In Search of a Solution to the Solution Question

During the course of my experimentaion with beads and PG, I spoke with the people at DOW Chemical who confirmed that PG has no negative effect on silica gel beads.

Wow...sorry. I had no idea about the beads and 50/50. Did not mean to pu tout bad info guys. Everything that I have read and/or been told about the beads was that you should only use water.

Tim

Tupperware and pantyhose user here.

To clarify a little about PG and Silca beads....... the only Silica beads one would have a need to use PG would be unconditioned beads. Once used on these unconditioned beads it would maintain the humidity and basically condition them to 70% hence not having a need to ever add PG again. I'm not totally convinced that adding PG over a long term would not "block" the pores to some extent (haven't seen verifyably research yet) but certainly don't believe that charging the beads once for conditioning purpose would pose any problems that would be measurable for the purpose we use them for.

I use some modified compressed air line exhausts.
They are nylon with the filter taken out, a nylon end cap, lined with nylon screen door material and filled with viper beads.
They work real well and take up less room than the bricks. I have them placed wherever there is a gap in my humis.
I just add a couple of drops of distilled water to each one every two weeks.

humidifier3.jpg

humidifier2.jpg

humidifier1.jpg

DSCN2790.jpg

I just used some nylon mesh bags my wife had kickin' around, they work great and they've got excellent air exposure.

Cheers
Rob

Wow...sorry. I had no idea about the beads and 50/50. Did not mean to pu tout bad info guys. Everything that I have read and/or been told about the beads was that you should only use water.

Tim

I am addressing this as far as Heartfelt Humidity Beads are concerned. Do not use PG or 50/50 solution when hydrating the beads. The beads I sell are pre-conditioned for various Rh levels and the addition of PG solution for rh control is not needed. The addition of PG or 50/50 solution will only reduce the amount of moisture (distilled water) that the beads can hold and therefore off gas into the humidor for rh control. The PG solution will remain in the beads decreasing the amount of distilled water that the beads will absorb. In essence you are taking a pound of beads and making them roughly a half pound as far as their ability to humidify a space.

I use the beads in my cooler. I used to use panty hose but I opted for using the "rice" bags that Wally World handles in the bridal/decoration section. The have draw strings on top and you can put as much or little in them as you would like so you can stuff them in large or tight spots.