• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Container for using BEAD humidification?

IMG_1529.jpg
From what I recall Viper saying, the beads are not supposed to come in contact with the cedar. In addition, the largest amount of surface area they can be arranged in will provide the most effective usage.

For my humi, I removed the floral foam and replaced with beads in one of those pantyhose socks at shoe stores. The tuppadors have Heartfelt tubes with beads and another old humidification device with the foam removed and replaced with beads.

I use a mesh laundry bag that I'm pretty sure is meant for washing bras. That's what my wife said anyway. It works well, I just spray the beads with distilled H2O. I've found that the more surface area of the beads you can expose, the more stable the humidity will be.

I use a small plastic dish-thing (i think it once held margarita salt) in the wine-cooler and in the desktop I use an empty God of Fire coffin filled with beads.

From what I recall Viper saying, the beads are not supposed to come in contact with the cedar. In addition, the largest amount of surface area they can be arranged in will provide the most effective usage.

I don't think it hurts them at all. I have a pound spread amongst 6 hose bags that sit on cedar shelves. Over time, the beads have taken on color from the cedar, but they're working just fine. I also have beads in Viper's tubes - no direct contact with anything. They're just as pretty as when they were new.

And let me modify the formula a bit. Greatest surface area will achieve the FASTEST RH changes. Reduced surface area will still get the job done, but will simply take longer to absorb or expell moisture.

here's my little doodad... i put the beads in pantyhose, and the fan is on a timer that runs every 8 hours

IMG_0744.jpg

Just relaying what Viper told me a while back. He said not to have them come in contact with the cedar.

When the Heartfelt Humidity Beads are in contact with spanish cedar the beads will absorb the oils in the wood. The beads will become discolored but will most likely work just as well for a long time. Ultimately the oils can degrade the performance of the beads.

Over the last 4-5 weeks I was using an aluminum foil tray (like ones you get leftovers in) to store beads in my wine-a-dor. Last week, while performing some maintenance, I noticed that the tray was staring to disintegrate. It looked like the beads were eating through the foil… have any of you heard of this happening?

I only use the wine-a-dor for box storage, could there be any ill effects from this? Everything appears fine and there has been no smell. I replaced the beads and now use a glass bowl/pie dish… Thoughts?

-Frank