• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

contest

Double D

alphabetically challenged
OK here is my first contest well sort of.

Rule's

Must be a member in good standing.

wurm is disqualified.

First Person to answer all of the Questions correct wins.

I am the only judge for this contest only one chance and no editing i am not worried about spelling mistakes.

all questions are related to hunting and fishing.

act like an asshat and you will be disqualified

Winner will receive a nice package from me. Winner Swissy with one wrong

1. What is choke a reference to and what is it used for.
I was looking for a reference to shot guns and the effect on the shot pattern.
2. Which of the following are related? Ferret, pine martin, fox, badger, Squirrel.
Ferret,Pine Martin , Badger

3. What does Mepps pay cash for?
Was looking for squirrel tales white tail deer tales is only a special deal not everyone can do this is stated on their web site.

4. What species of fish belong to the salmon id family you can answer in general do not list each one.salmon ,trout ,char ,white fish

5. What is the difference between horns and antlers?
Horns are permanent antlers shed each year.

6. Can you fire a shell chambered for a 12/70 through a 12/76?
Yes you can fire a smaller shot shell of same gauge through a larger bore but not the reverse.

7. What does the term rifled mean? Twists or spirals carved into the barrel to introduce spin.

8. What does a female mallard duck do when a predator approaches her nest /young? Act's injured quack a lot and moves away from nest/young

9. What is the difference between a 4x4 and 8 point in terms of deer?
Was looking for east vs west as place of origin but accepted the one is even one isn't theory.

10. What is the difference between waterfowl and upland game birds?
One lives in water one doesn't this was reference to birds any thing else was not accepted.

11. How does a northern pike strike bait?
from the side then turns and swallows head first.

12. Which of the following are poisonous? Eel, blowfish, bull snake, daddy long legs, platypus.
Was looking for eel,Platypus,blowfish.daddy long legs are not poisonous this is myth.

13. what is a rainbow trout a salmon or a trout.
DNA testing has proved rainbow trout is a Salmon.

14. what do all salmon ids have in common.
adipose fin also accepted spawns in fresh water but not streams some salmon ids never see a stream.

15. finish the following old wives tale: when the wind Blows from the west fishing is best when the wind blows from east fishing is least when the wind blows from the North, do not go forth.
when the wind blows from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Will announce the winner in few minutes

14. what do all salmonids have in common.

Answer: They taste delicious smoked :laugh: .

Sorry I had too.

Here's my guess..

1) Keep the buckshot in a tighter group
2) Pine Marten, Badger
3) 25-cents each for delivered whitetail deer tails
4) Trout
5) Too many to list, but I think your looking for horns are permanent and antlers are shed.
6) Who knows? Yes?
7) The spiral cuts in a barrel of a gun
8) She displays her colored breast feathers
9) Same thing 4x4 is 4 points on each side or and 8 point is the same thing
10) Upland is non-water birds. Waterfowl lives on water and land
11) It will usually run a short distance, then swallow the bait
12) Platypus
13) salmon and trout same thing?
14) All freshwater
15) Wind from the east, fish bite the least – wind from the west, fish bite the best.

1. End part of the barrel of a gun that adjusts the shot pattern (narrow or wider

2. Ferret, Pine Marten, Badger

3. squirrel tails

4. salmon, pikes, smelt

5. antlers are part of the skull horns are not

6. yes

7. spiral grooves in the bore of the gun

8. pretends to be hurt to lure the predator away

9. 4x4 is equal points on each side, 8 not necessarily equal

10. waterfowl go in water and upland do not

11. strike the bait head first

12. blowfish, platypuss

13. a trout...trout is in the salmon family though

14. spawn in streams

15. When the wind blows from the west, fish bite best.
When it blows from the east, fish bite least.

Both of you missed 5 not the same five. one or two of both of your answers were partialy correct I may have not phrased the questions right. just came back from the local B&m with the prize all i could find was some of those damn darkside cigars hope the winner doesnt mind.

Here is my attempt:

-End part of the barrel of a gun that adjusts the shot pattern (narrow or wider

2. Which of the following are related? Ferret, pine martin, fox, badger, Squirrel.
-Ferret, Pine Marten, Badger

-whitetail deer tails

4. What species of fish belong to the salmonid family you can answer in general do not list each one.
-salmon, trout, char

-antlers are part of the skull, horns are not. And horns are permanent and antlers are shed.

-yes

7. What does the term rifled mean?
-grooves in the bore of the gun

8. What does a female mallard duck do when a predator approaches her nest /young?
Acts injured to lure the predator away. Oh ya, and quacks a lot.

-4x4 is 4 points on each side that are pretty much uniform, but 8 is 4 points on each side that are not necessarily equal

-waterfowl are from water areas water and upland are from land areas

-strike the bait head first

12. Which of the following are poisonous? Eel, blowfish, bull snake, daddy long legs, platypuss.
-Daddy long legs is the most poisonous spider but his mouth is too small to bite us

-I am thinking that you meant to ask "when" is a rainbow a salmon or a trout. A rainbow is a trout as long as it stays in the fresh water. I f it migrates into the salt water it turns into a steelhead which is considered a salmon.

-spawn in streams

15. finish the following old wives tale: when the wind
-When the wind blows from the west, fish bite best.

1. End part of the barrel of a gun that adjusts the shot pattern (narrow or wider

3. whitetail deer tails

4. salmon, trout, char

5. antlers are part of the skull, horns are not. And horns are permanent and antlers are shed.

6. yes

7. grooves in the bore of the gun. Which cause the bullet to spin.

8. Acts injured to lure the predator away.

9. 4x4 is 4 points on each side that are pretty much uniform, but 8 points is just that haveing 8 points totaland they are not necessarily equal

10. waterfowl are from water areas water and upland are from land areas

11. strike the bait head first

12. Daddy long legs , Blowfish & platypuss.

13. trout

14. spawn in streams

1. A choke is a device screwed into the end of a shotgun barrel to control the spread and pattern of shot.

2. Ferret, Pine Martin, and Badger

3. Squirrel tails

4. Brook Trout

5. Antlers are a one part structure (bone) that is not permament. Horns are a two part structure (bone interior, specialized exterior like our fingernails) that are generally permanent and continually grow.

6. You can, but I wouldn't recommend it unless the gun specifically says you can.

7. The term rifled means that a barrel has been equipped with grooves to spin the bullet as it travels down the barrel contributing to it's stability in flight.

8. Pretendes to be injured.

9. The 4x4 has 4 tines on each side of the rack while the 8 pointer may or mat nor have a symmetrical rack. The different terms are really mainly a difference in Eastern (8point) vs. Western (4x4) measurements and nomenclature.

10. Waterfowl spend some of their life in water while upland game birds do not.

11. Very aggressively. Other than that I've had them strike in any number of ways.

12. All of them to some degree.

13. Both. The distinction form other salmonids is that a Rainbow Trout does not migrate to spawn.

14. All salmonids have soft fin rays, an adipose fin, and fine cycloid scales.

15. When the wind is from the west, fish bite the best. When the wind is from the east, fish bite the least.

Revised.....

3. whitetail deer tails

4. salmon, trout

5. antlers are part of the skull, horns are not. And horns are permanent and antlers are shed.

6. Yes

7. grooves in the bore of the gun

8. Acts injured to lure the predator away. Oh ya, and quacks a lot.

9. 4x4 is 4 points on each side that are pretty much uniform, but 8 is 4 points on each side that are not necessarily equal

10. waterfowl are from water areas water and upland are from land areas

11. strike the bait head first, run them swallow

12. Daddy long legs Blowfish and Platypus

13. I am thinking that you meant to ask "when" is a rainbow a salmon or a trout. A rainbow is a trout as long as it stays in the fresh water. I f it migrates into the salt water it turns into a steelhead which is considered a salmon.

14. spawn in streams

BTW, if I win I'll share it with Atuck.

1.)Chokes are screwed into the end of a shotgun to determine the shot pattern. They have full choke, improved choke and modified choke

2.)Ferret, Pine Martin, and Badger

3.)squirrel tails

4.)salmon

5.)horns are permanent, antlers are not, antlers are shed, horns are made of keratin

6.)no

7.)The spirals/grooves in a barrell

8.)acts injured

9.)4x4 is 4 on each side, and 8 point can be any combo on each site that equals eight, ie 5 on one side 3 on the other

10.)Upland game birds are pheasants and such,brids that live on land. waterfowel are ducks and such

11.)They play with the bait for a while, so you need to wait to set the hook, don’t set it as soon as you feel the pike on the end,

12.)Most eels are, daddy long legs are, blowfish are, as well as the platypus

13.)salmon
14.)All have an adipose fin

15.) When the wind blows from the west, fish bite best.

nice try jeff did i forget to say one try each 4 are still wrong.You all surprised me a bit with some of your answers had to research my own answers just to make sure.I thought this was gonna be tough but you are all mostly on target.

Double D said:
nice try jeff did i forget to say one try each
[snapback]283460[/snapback]​

Oops didn't see that.

does "member in good standing" preclude newbies?

1. device attached to the end of shotgun barrel which controls shot patterns

2. ferret, pine marten, badger

3. gray, fox, and black squirrel tails, and whitetail deer tails

4. salmon, trout, char, grayling, whitefish

5. antlers are solid bone and are shed yearly; horns are hollow and are permanent

6. yes

7. spiral grooves in the barrel which impart spin to the bullet

8. if surprised by an intruder, she is likely to go flapping and squawking across the ground, as if injured

9. a 4x4 has 4 points on each antler. depending on where you are from an 8point can mean 8 total points, or an 8x8.

10. waterfowl go in water, upland don’t

11. pike tend to grab the bait just about anywhere. they don't always take it head first. most of the time, they strike and take the bait off a little distance, and then turn it head first to swallow it.

12. eel, blowfish, platypus

13. biologists now believe rainbows are more closely related to salmon than trout which is why they changed the name to oncorhynchus mykiss, from salmo gairdneri

14. soft fin rays, and adipose fin

15. when the wind is in the north the fisherman goes not forth; when the wind is in the south it blows the bait in the fish's mouth; when the wind is in the east the fish bite the least. when the wind is in the west the fish bite the best.

roy no it does not i am a newbie myself just means your not an asshat.

3. Whitetail deer tails

4. Trout, salmon, char, whitefish, and grayling.

6. Yes

7. Slits, holes, or grooves in the barrel of a gun.

8. Acts injured

9. 4x4 is 4 points on each side that are pretty much uniform, but 8 is 4 points on each side that are not necessarily equal

10. Waterfowl are from water areas water and upland are from land areas

11. Strike the bait head first, run then swallow

12. Blowfish, some eels, and platypus.

13. A Trout(steelhead) that is part of the salmon family.

14. Spawn in streams, salmonids require clean gravel beds. The eggs are laid in nests in the gravel. Water must be able to circulate through the gravel and around the eggs.

Thanks for the contest.

I'm just piping in here to say... whoever wins this is going to be one happy puppy, I got to see the prize tonight while over Dales house and its awesome!

Great contest bro! :thumbs:

A shotgun choke is a constriction of the bore of a shotgun. The purpose of a shotgun choke is to force the shot from the shotgun to shoot forward in a tighter pattern.

Ferret, Badger and Pine Martin

fox, black and gray squirrels tails

4. What species of fish belong to the salmonid family you can answer in general do not list each one.
salmon and 'true' trouts- Whitefish, ciscos, and graylings are also salmonids

Antlers are grown as an extension of the animal's skull. They are true bone and are a single structure They are generally found only on males. Antlers are shed and regrown each year. Horns are covered by an exterior sheath grown by specialized hair follicles, as are your fingernails. Horns are never shed and continue to grow throughout the animals life. The exception to this rule is the pronghorn which sheds and regrows its horn sheath each year.

No...

7. What does the term rifled mean?
Helical grooves known as rifling are cut into the bore of a barrel of a firearm during production to increase the accuracy of that firearm. When the gun is discharged, these grooves cause the bullet to spin as it travels the length of the barrel and thus stabilize the bullet during flight.

8. What does a female mallard duck do when a predator approaches her nest /young?
she is likely to go flapping and squawking away from her nest, as if injured with a broken wing

nothing- 4x4 is an 8 point- just different ways to call the same thing, depending on the area you live in

waterfowl, common term for members of the order Anseriformes, wild, aquatic, typically freshwater birds including ducks, geese, and screamers. Upland Game Bird - Any wild bird suitable for food, including the larger species (such as wild turkey and goose), medium-sized birds (including Pheasant and wild duck) and smaller game birds (such as the coot, dove, grouse, hazel hen, lark, mud hen, Partridge, pigeon, Plover, quail, rail, snipe, thrush and woodcock).

it usually grabs it across the mid-section. swims off with it for a short distance, then expels the bait and reingests it head first.

12. Which of the following are poisonous? Eel, blowfish, bull snake, daddy long legs, platypuss.
Eels, Blowfish, platypus

Trout is the common name given to a number of species of freshwater fish belonging to the salmon family

all salmonids have an adipose fin

15. finish the following old wives tale: when the wind...
when the wind blows from the West, fish bite the best.
when the wind blows from the East, fish bite the least.
when the wind blows from the North, do not go forth.
when the wind blows from the South blows bait in their mouth.

1) The choke means that certain barrels are constricted (tapered) at the front end, with the amount of this constriction designated as choke. It varies from a true cylinder (which has no choke) to modified and full choke. The cylinder barrel tends to spread the shot pattern of the pellets. The more a barrel is choked, the smaller the shot pattern becomes. A full choke barrel makes the smallest pattern, holding the pellets closer together at any given distance. Mechanical choking devices permit the hunter to use a variety of chokes on a single barrel.

2) Ferret, pine martin, fox and badger

3) squirrel tails

4) char (trout), grayling, and whitefish

5) Antlers, on members of the deer family, are grown as an extension of the animal's skull. They are true bone and are a single structure They are generally found only on males. Antlers are shed and regrown each year.

Horns, found on pronghorn, bighorn sheep, bison, and many other bovine, are two-part structures. An interior of bone (also an extension of the skull) is covered by an exterior sheath grown by specialized hair follicles, as are your fingernails. In fact, your fingernails and the exterior sheath of horns are made of very similar materials. Horns are never shed and continue to grow throughout the animals life. The exception to this rule is the pronghorn which sheds and regrows its horn sheath each year.

6) No

7) Rifling refers to spiral grooves that have been formed into the barrel of a firearm. It is the means by which a firearm imparts a spin to a projectile to gyroscopically stabilize it to improve accuracy.

8) at the approach of danger gives her note of alarm which sends the little ones scattering in all directions to hide in the underbrush or thick grass, while she diverts the attention of the intruder

9) Traditionally, the difference is "eastern count" vs. "western count".

10)Upland game includes rabbits, squirrels, quail, pheasants, grouse, and woodcock.Geese and ducks are the favorite waterfowl targets.

11)They are a voracious, hard-hitting and hard fighting fish. Large pike have been known to swim towards you after hitting. Most of the time, they strike and take the bait off a little distance, and then turn it head first to swallow it.

12) most eel, blowfish, daddy long legs and platypuss

13) salmon (of the Oncorhynchus family)

14) They all have “hooked snout,” referring to the hooked lower jaw of big, breeding males.

15) All solmonids have soft fin rays, an adipose fin and fine cyloid scales.