• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Converting Foam Humidifier to a Beads Humidifier

Setren

I couldn't easily find a tutorial for converting foam humidifiers that you get with a humidor into bead humidifiers when I searched CP, so I decided I'd post a little tutorial on how I did it. I know many of your probably don't need this tutorial, but somebody like me might be able to use it. :) Please leave any comments or suggestions. Thanks!

Note: As BBS has noted, the staples may rust over time. If you're concerned about rust, try sewing this bag together instead of using staples. If you're not too concerned about the rust, then just check your bag for rust whenever you fill it up.

Materials:
Pencil
Heartfelt Beads
Foam Humidifier
Stapler
Flat-head Screwdriver
Scissors
Tide Wash Bag

Step 1:
So obviously you need to bust your foam humidifier out of its box. Here's how mine looked.

Step 2:
Grab a flat-head screwdriver and slide it between the two plastic parts of the humidifier. It's easiest if you slide your screwdriver into the center of one of the long edges of the humidifier. Then, slide your screwdriver up into the corner of your humidifier, and with some gentle plying motion, you should be able to open up your humidifier. Inside you'll see some foam stuff. Pop that out, and then rinse the plastic parts of your humidifier.

Step 3:
Break out your wash bag. I used a Tide wash bag I found at Target. The key here is to find a bag that is durable, allows water through, and will not allow beads through. You don't need a Tide wash bag, per se, but don't go buy yourself a wash bag that has holes large enough for beads to slide through.

Step 4:
Put one part of the plastic onto your wash bag. Lightly mark out a rectangle that is about three times as wide as the humidifier and maybe one a one half times as long as your humidifier. Make sure the mark lightly so the graphite won't stick to the bag later.

Step 5:
Cut out your rectangle. Easy stuff! I rinsed my rectangle with some water and then dried it. I don't know if you have to or not, but I thought I'd try to wash it a bit.

Step 6:
Now fold your rectangle in half the short way. After you do that, take the two free ends opposite of the folded end and fold it backwards towards the folded end a bit. I know: confusing description. Check the picture below!

Step 7:
After you've folded all the way down the rectangle, start stapling the end you just folded backwards. Start a couple of inches from the short end of the rectangle, and staple a string of staples about the same length (or slightly shorter) as your humidifier. You should be stapling through four layers of bag right now. Confused? Here are pictures of the end result.

(Continue in post #2.)

(Continued from post #.)

Step 8:
Now take your bag you've newly stapled and open it up so it's sort of a tube now. Push the bag down so it's sort of a rectangle again. Put the staple line you just made in the center of a side of the rectangle.

Step 9:
Now put your bag as it is into the bottom of you humidifier that you've popped open. Put the end of your staple line at the end of one side of your humidifier. Push out your bag and adjust it so that it fills up the width of your humidifier.

Step 10:
Grab the excess of your bag (the shorter excess, that is) and fold it over onto your bag.

Step 11:
Staple that fold down. You should be stapling through four layers of bag and then sometimes a lot of layers (in the center).

Step 12:
Open up your bag from the one remaining unstapled side. Pour in some of your beads. Be careful. The beads can go everywhere if you don't watch out.

Step 13:
Put your bag with your beads into your plastic humidifier. Fold over the open end and then pat the bag so that you even out the beads along the entire length of the humidifier. Then put the cover on and to test and make sure the bag fits within the humidifier. You don't want to fill the bag too much or else you won't be able to close your humidifier. You don't want to fill the bag too little to make your humidifier useless.

Step 14:
Once you've got the correct amount of beads in your bag. Take that fold and staple it like you stapled the other end. You can cut off the excess bag.

Step 15:
Now pour or spray your bag with distilled water. If you hold the bag up to the light, you should be able to see how many beads are clear and how many are not. Warning: the bag is not completely sealed, though your staple job should keep the beads in relatively well, one or two beads may flow out. After you're done with the water, dry up your bag. Put it back into the humidifier. Then close up your humidifier. Set it in your humidor, and you're done!

Hope this helps! The bag cost me around four to five dollars, but I can make multiple bead bags out of it. Takes some work, but I don't mind!
Sorry for the bad picture quality. I'm still using my camera phone.

A nice mod, but I'd worry about the staples rusting over time......

Good Luck - B.B.S.

Very nice idea. Would have been useful when I was using my 2 desktops. No need for it anymore with the cooler but great setup!

I like where your head is, but like BBS said, I'd worry about rusting.

Also, about how many beads are you fitting in one of those foam trays? If I remember correctly they are pretty thin.

A nice mod, but I'd worry about the staples rusting over time......

Good Luck - B.B.S.
Yeah, I considered that. I think I'll just remake them eventually. I'll be looking at them often enough to check them for rust. An alternative to staples would be sewing, but I'm only barely competent at sewing. Maybe I'll work on my sewing. :D Thanks for the feedback!

Edit:

I like where your head is, but like BBS said, I'd worry about rusting.

Also, about how many beads are you fitting in one of those foam trays? If I remember correctly they are pretty thin.
I think I managed to fit around 2.5 to 3 oz. of beads into one tray.

I used fish filter media bags and just cut single panels to the same size as the inside dimensions of the plastic and put a dab of hot glue in each corner and one in the middle to hold it in place. Works perfectly.

I made a second one by cutting fiberglass window screen to size and just put it in there. The pressure from the beads holds it in place.

I used fish filter media bags and just cut single panels to the same size as the inside dimensions of the plastic and put a dab of hot glue in each corner and one in the middle to hold it in place. Works perfectly.

I made a second one by cutting fiberglass window screen to size and just put it in there. The pressure from the beads holds it in place.
xD Too easy for me. I had to go the bag route. Hah!

the lil foam humidifier that came with my humi had a little plastic mesh screen inside it already, i simply removed the foam, washed everything, put the screens in and boom, dumped in beads.

Your method seems to be a verey good way to contain the beads tho

Great tutorial. I am thinking about doing this to my CigarOasis.

I just simply used some pantyhose I had lying around errr....I mean, BOUGHT AT WAL-MART.

Seriously LESS FUSS than your washbag, you can see the beads so you know when they're in need of charging, it's cheaper, and it doesn't use staples that can rust over time. And the thin mass of the pantyhose equals= More beads.

Just my opinion. Glad the washbag works for you. :thumbs:

Do you think its possible to fit between 3-4oz of beads in a single plastic humidifier?
In the ones I have, no. At least not with my method. I'll measure the dimensions when I get home.

I just simply used some pantyhose I had lying around errr....I mean, BOUGHT AT WAL-MART.

Seriously LESS FUSS than your washbag, you can see the beads so you know when they're in need of charging, it's cheaper, and it doesn't use staples that can rust over time. And the thin mass of the pantyhose equals= More beads.

I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to check the beads through the panty hose. But I supposed I've been proven wrong. :)

I'm actually going to try to get a bag sewn. I think that'll work best because it'll be more durable.

Great tutorial. I am thinking about doing this to my CigarOasis.

I'm considering doing this to my Humi-care (hydra) electronic device too... Has anyone actually done it yet? was there any advantage ?

FWIW: I used the panty hose too...it just works

Nice idea.

I've done this type of modification also. I used the little nylons booties you can get at the shoe store, those little ones they give the women when they try on shoes. Instead of using a stapler to close the end, I use a cable tie. Put a couple of teaspoonful of beads in the bootie, put the cable tie on, put the whole thing back in the frame, and you're good to go.