• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooking a turkey on the Smoker

I have been wanting to cook a bird on the smoker for quite some time now. In the past, I have cooked all kinds of poultry in it, but I have never actually prepared the Thanksgiving bird. This year we are hosting Thanksgiving dinner and I decided to give it a shot. This recipe also calls for soaking the bird in a brine, which is also something I have been wanting to do more of, so this should be fun.

I will try and take some pictures of the process and post them up, hopefully it turns out really good.

here is the recipe I am using.

Smoked Thanksgiving Turkey

Sounds real nice. I am doing a 20Lber on my chargrill smoker and cant wait. I use THIS website for any tips or questions I may have, it's great for any info needed. I am still a newb at smoking, but love it when ever I get the chance.

Oh yeah good luck

yeah, Steven has some great recipes and information in both his book(s) and his website.

I have a very used copy of the BBQ Bible at home!

I brine my birds regardless of smoking, BBQ or oven. I also apply the same rule as beef and let the sucker rest.

Brine recipe:

1 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
3 1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Cup Honey
6 sprigs of parsley, thyme, tarragon & sage
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cinnamon sticks
2 Tablespoons Juniper Berries
2 lemons (halved)
2 Tablespoons anise
2 gallons boiling water

Combine all ingredients except boiling water in 5-Gallon heat proof container large enough to hold the turkey.Pour the boiling water over the brine ingredients a let mix cool to room temperature. Stir ingredients up and submerge the CLEAN turkey into the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Be sure to rinse the turkey after the brine process.

Putz is right.
That brine is what saves the bird. I brine other stuff as well. It helps break the meat down a little and will keep that breast sooooo juicy.

I always cook turkeys on a Weber charcoal grill.
Breast down and full of my home made stuffing.
Infact I am cooking 3 birds that way this year.
One Thursday, one Friday, and one Saturday.

Try this little touch.

I combined (cooked, crumbled) hot Italian sausage with my stuffing and then wrapped that with a ham steak and then stuffed........it was incredible! I also slid some bacon between the breast and skin.

Have fun!

I brine my birds regardless of smoking, BBQ or oven. I also apply the same rule as beef and let the sucker rest.

Brine recipe:

1 1/4 Cup Kosher Salt
3 1/4 Cup Sugar
2 Cup Honey
6 sprigs of parsley, thyme, tarragon & sage
2 sprigs rosemary
2 cinnamon sticks
2 Tablespoons Juniper Berries
2 lemons (halved)
2 Tablespoons anise
2 gallons boiling water

Combine all ingredients except boiling water in 5-Gallon heat proof container large enough to hold the turkey.Pour the boiling water over the brine ingredients a let mix cool to room temperature. Stir ingredients up and submerge the CLEAN turkey into the brine. Cover and refrigerate for 24 hours. Be sure to rinse the turkey after the brine process.

Can I come over for Thanksgiving? Damn Charlie, that sounds good.

I've actually read a few places where it says that the stuffing can dry the bird out

That's where the brine really helps out. I also prepare the stuffing right before I put it I. The ROOM TEMP bird. The stuffing is warm and goes into the bird. Then he goes right on the grill.
Remember one of the most important things....
That bird will need to rest for 20 minutes after you take it out. It will also raise in temp more after you take it out. That is how it gets dry too. I take mine out at 165 to 170 then cover it with foil and let it sit minimum 20 minutes.
My number is on my profile. Feel free to call me for stuffing recipie or any other support.

I do not stuff my bird because it can dry the bird out and increase the cooking time...........and yes, you can come over as long as you do the dishes! :sign:

...........and yes, you can come over as long as you do the dishes! :sign:

Let me think...

Chicago = cold weather and dry turkey

SoCal = warm weather (smoking weather) and moist delicious turkey

...NOT FAIR!!!!! :angry:

I do not stuff my bird because it can dry the bird out and increase the cooking time...........and yes, you can come over as long as you do the dishes! :sign:

Charley let me take you to the promised land of stuffed birds brother!

On the weber grill. 9 to 11 minutes per pound.
Breast so juicy you need nothing to drink with it!

We should do a Cali. CP cookout

Charley let me take you to the promised land of stuffed birds brother!

On the weber grill. 9 to 11 minutes per pound.
Breast so juicy you need nothing to drink with it!

We should do a Cali. CP cookout

See here------->Gobble, Gobble!

Now let's let Erik have his thread back! :sign:

I have smoked (heat) quite a few turkeys for Thanksgiving and other holidays throughout the year. I used one of those charcoal smokers and have not done the brine soak, but they have come out tasting wonderful. Normally, I put them on the night before and get up once during the night, reload the charcoal and the steam bath (beer and other spices) then go back to bed. Generally I have used hickory, but I was at a local rib place Friday night and he uses scrub oak for his smoker. The hickory seems to do just fine for me. I just hit the top with a baste (again mostly beer) each hour or so, except during the night and have always had a very tasty bird emerge the next day. My mother-in-law requested a smoked turkey when she would have thanksgiving.