• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cool Ashtray...

ironpeddler

Ye Old Newbie
About 2 weeks ago my wife was watching one of those home shows where the hosts of the show go to someone's house and pick out some old stuff to bring to an auction where they sell it and use the profits to finance a home improvement project.

I'm half watching as I'm on my laptop cruising around CP. One of the items that was picked out to go to the auction was called a "trench art ashtray"...which caught my ear and I never heard of. I looked up and this thing looked so cool. I immediately Googled the description and found a few online. I ordered one from this Arts & Crafts/Antique action site and had it shipped.

"By description, trench art is commonly defined as any decorative item made by soldiers, prisoners of war or civilians, where the manufacture is directly linked to armed conflict or its consequences. Common articles that this includes are decorated shell and bullet casings and items carved from wood and bone"

It's a WWII, 90MM M19 artillery round with a 30 Cal. round bolted in the middle. The cigar rests are shaped like the suits in a deck of cards. This one is stamped with a 1941 Mfg. date on the bottom of the 90MM shell. I figure my pipe smoking buddies can use the middle bullet to clean out their pipes.

When I opened the box, it was obviously used by a cigarette smoker due to the smell. I lightly brushed it up with Bar Keepers Friend and then some hot vinegar......and this is what I have

TrenchArtAshTray.jpg

It's only only 5" in diameter, so I have to angle the cigar on it....

TAATw-Cigar.jpg

I'm lovin my new/old ashtray and just thought I'd share it with you guys :thumbs: and thanks for the cigar khari!

I like the cigar holders in the shapes of card suits...that is definitely cool!

Navy.....brasswork.....must polish....must polish....
Where's my brasso?... I'm on my way to polish it for you.
I thought about it....

Here's a 'BEFORE' picture....it was pretty black and corroded.

BeforeAshtray.jpg

When I cleaned it up, I kept in mind that I didn't want to take too much of the 68yo charm out of it....I still wanted it to look old. That's why I didn't use the Brasso, I debated that one back & forth for a few hours...that's when I decided to go with the hot white vinegar treatment instead. I think that was a good compromise.

Sorry Gary, if you don't need sunglasses, its not done. Can't help it.

It's called patina, Bruce...and if you clean it off and make it all shiny the piece loses its value not to mention its aesthetic charm.

Very nice work, Gary. You have a wonderful piece of trench art there. :thumbs:

Back in my Seabees days, lots of us had piston ashtrays, and some of the 'Nam chiefs had stuff like that . . . but that's the coolest example I've seen. Great score!

+1 on the Brasso. Even in 'Bees the Navy ways die hard. :cool:

~Boar

I just picked up one of these from ebay, I liked yours so much! It's the same thing, except it has normal stirrups instead of the card suits. Thanks for the inspiration!

Back