• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cool Humidity Sensor

dkbmusic

I run a music store, and I saw this item sitting on one of our shelves the other day, and thought that it might make a great humidity sensor. You can program your desired RH level so that if it drops below it at any point, you'll be able to review it in memory. It also tracks temperature, and stores that info for later review as well.

From the manufacturer:

The HTS digitally indicates accurate relative humidity levels ranging from low (under20%) to 99%. Temperature is displayed in both Farenheit or Centigrade ranging from –32oF to 122oF.

A programmable set point monitors the minimum humidity desired. When humidity is below the set point, an icon (water drop)will indicate it is necessary to use a humidifier. The high and low memory indicates the highest and lowest temperature and humidity levels your instrument has been exposed to, as well as the date and time of that high and low, since the last reset.
Product dimensions: 4" x 2.75"

Just thought I would pass this along. It's available at your B&M music stores, and I even have one or two in stock if you can't find it locally... We sell them for $30...

hts.jpg

[quote name='Smokin'Sims' post='659949' date='May 1 2008, 03:25 PM']Can it be calibrated?[/quote]

I don't believe so...

I found a few reviews on mucisiansfriend.com . 2 favorable, and one negative. The negative review seems credible to me, but then again, don't believe everything you read and see on the internet. Anyways, here's the review.

If you're looking for an accurate hygrometer to protect your instrument, keep looking... I tested 2 Planet Waves unites (purchased to monitor 2 martin guitars) and found that they both reported wild fluctuations in humidity over a 24 hour period. In my line of work, our environmental lab (used for testing electronics) has a quality hygrometer which recorded the set test area humidity (in a 24 hour period) between 48%-50%. Over the same period, in the same location, both Planet Waves units recorded readings between 31% - 52%. The Planet Waves units did not even agree with each other and recorded low humidity readings randomly over a 24 hour period as shown on each of the date/time memories. The test was repeated 3 times with similar results. Clearly these 2 Planet Waves units are not reliable and if representative of the design, should be avoided. As mentioned, it’s unclear if this is a design flaw or the result of something missed in quality control however it is clear that this defect would prompt the user to employ a humidifier product when it’s unnecessary.