• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cool picture

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
f_Camelsm_fa281fa.png

Very interesting. I thought it looked like a bad fake at first, and a dumb one at that (why would you fake a picture of camels) until I read the caption.

Amazing! But, I'd like to see it larger. Click where to enlarge? Is it me on a Mac???

Brian

That is a great photo.

And it's not just you, Brian, I can't click anything to enlarge it either on my PC.

Maybe Rod can help. My browser shows a black bar above the pic and when I click on it the picture blows up.

Maybe Rod can help. My browser shows a black bar above the pic and when I click on it the picture blows up.
Not for me but thanks anyway. I went to his site Linky, he has the pic on his opening page. Take a
look at his other pics, this guy is fantastic.

Brian

Not for me but thanks anyway. I went to his site Linky, he has the pic on his opening page. Take a
look at his other pics, this guy is fantastic.

Brian

Some amazing pics. He uses some of what we southerners would call "them there funny cameras." I forget what they call the lenses, but they're a weird surve on them to make everything in focus. It also gives a weird look to the deoth perception on some of them.

Nah, if there is no frame around the image that tells you it was reduced, your resolution is high enough to fit the entire image on your screen and there is nothing to click to enlarge it as it is already full size.

Some amazing pics. He uses some of what we southerners would call "them there funny cameras." I forget what they call the lenses, but they're a weird surve on them to make everything in focus. It also gives a weird look to the deoth perception on some of them.

It sounds like you're describing a "view camera"...the kind with a bellows for a body. Right? If so, it can indeed be adjusted to give great depth to a photo. However, my understanding is that George Steinmetz uses digital cameras for (at least) most of his work. There are lens available...called tilt/shift lenses...that approximate the view camera's adjustability. I want one or two for myself. Bad.

It's not the browser Gary, SBellew is correct! The image is much bigger on his web site.

It's my understanding as well that he uses digital cameras. Looking at his work it's not so much the camera as what he envisions and then captures.
Most people would walk right past something he sees, he has vision!...amazing!

Brian

The image was not reduced, it resides on Picoodle at the same size as I received it via email and on his website. When I view it here it says it is reduced and I can click on the black bar above the pic and blow it back up.

This guy is truly amazing at what he sees and subsequently photographs.....thanks Brian for pointing out the web site as I had never seen it, the picture was sent to me in an e-mail.

It sounds like you're describing a "view camera"...the kind with a bellows for a body. Right? If so, it can indeed be adjusted to give great depth to a photo. However, my understanding is that George Steinmetz uses digital cameras for (at least) most of his work. There are lens available...called tilt/shift lenses...that approximate the view camera's adjustability. I want one or two for myself. Bad.

You're on to something there...

I learned photography on a 4x5 view camera at photo school. The best advantage to using a 4x5 negative (or larger) is the incredible detail that can be captured. Ah... the 4x5 or 8x10 is absolutely amazing for landscapes and portraits (the reason why guys like Ansel Adams (landscapes) and Richard Avedon (portraits) used that particular format... well Adams was expert in Zone system [simply put... exposing the photo with the final print in mind, that is, taking into account the negative being used, development method, and photo paper being used to achieve maximum range (in stops) for the final print].

This is a fantastic picture but certainly wasn't taken with a view camera. It's an aerial shot and there's no way to stabilize a view camera to the degree needed to allow for a 'shake free' shot. If shot with a view camera this picture would be blur, blur, blur and would completely change the feeling from editorial to something more akin to abstract.

Regardless of the camera used, the most important lesson I ever learned after a bunch of years shooting pictures is;

"It's not the arrow, it's the Indian."

You either have an eye or you don't. That simple. No amount of expensive gear can fix someone who just can't shoot. Hell... I use my plastic, yes... 100% plastic, Holga camera all the time and get some cool shots. That camera cost me $18 and with the modifications I made I'm probably in it for $50. I prefer that camera to my Contax 645, among others, that were infinitely more expensive.

Anyway... just my .02

Great shot... :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Camels

grammar edit (and it's probably still not rihgt)

Back