• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cooler-dor 101

does anyone use something other than silca beads? i'm looking for a more cost friendly solution, contimplating foam oasis, but not sure if it will work well enough

It's all about perspective. Potentially your collection could grow, and you can have thousands of dollars worth of cigars in your coolidor. So spending $20-$30 on beads in my opinion is more than worth it!

does anyone use something other than silca beads? i'm looking for a more cost friendly solution, contimplating foam oasis, but not sure if it will work well enough

It's all about perspective. Potentially your collection could grow, and you can have thousands of dollars worth of cigars in your coolidor. So spending $20-$30 on beads in my opinion is more than worth it!

I spent the money on an Oasis, then bought some of the beads. The Oasis is now gathering dust on a shelf.

Spring for the beads.

Solid advice... :thumbs:

Here's a pic of my coolidor.
IMG_1182.jpg

What's the hose for?

I'm not sure that is a hose. Looks more like a plastic strap for the lid.

mac

Hey just wondering why you guys put the extra loose sticks in a zip lock... do you just zip up the bag or just put them in the bag? Thanks

In the pic, the bags look open (at least to me). They might be in there because they want to keep these separate and don't have an empty box to put them in. That's usually the reason I will have loose cigars in bags in my humidor, and I keep them open when I do that.

Hope this helps!

Zip Lock bags are a great way to organize cigars in a coolidor. I always leave the bags unzipped so that humidity can properly pass through to the cigars.

Out of curiosity how do coolidors do in the summer time as far as regulating temperature? I've got my little desktop in the basement to keep the temperature down but I am contemplating building a coolidor but only if I can keep it upstairs. I would think it has to do a better job of keeping a constant temperature due to the insulation, but I wanted to get your guys thoughts.

TIA.

I find that with mine it depends. It helps protect against sudden changes, but if the temp in the room gets hotter, the temp in the coolidor will rise too, just at a slightly slower pace.

Hope this helps.

My simple version of a cooledor. Has worked very well.

http://s578.photobucket.com/albums/ss223/smokem1313/Cooledor/

I'm starting to realize that building a cooledor and using heartfelt beads is really the only way to go.........

I'm starting to realize that building a cooledor and using heartfelt beads is really the only way to go.........

Yea, I think you're right. A month in and I've out grown the tiny humidor I just bought.

I'm already building my coolidor!

photo-1-1.jpg

That's pretty slick. Did you make all those shelves yourself or buy them pre-cut like that?

My Father in Law made them for me out of a single plank of Spanish Cedar, all of $25 for these bad boys.

Before
2x4reclaimedwrc__71700.jpg

After
cedar_shelves.jpg

Thanks man, I need two more to complete the top two racks as we ran out of wood before it was all full.

Or I can just take the top rack, and put it one lower to make it complete and just use that extra space to stack boxes.

I need to post an updated pic of my cooler. :)

What size cooler are you guys using? Im not sure how many cigars i will put in there.. But if i run into the same problem i am with my humi (out of room) I should go with the 120-150 qt size.

I'm just looking at walmart right now, 80-90 bucks for they biggest they have.