• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolerdor Basics?

Kryo

Pyro first, smoke second
Reaction score
Having taken the plunge into this group of people and before my credit card melts from the over usage I see in my future.... :sign:

I want to get a setup ready to handle more than my good old 150ct desktop. It is/was ok for holding a box or two plus a few loose cigars, but if Im going down this nasty cliff I might as well go head first and enjoy the view!! :D

If you can give a few pointers beyond what I already understand...

#1. Get something around 60qt. size. Should be able to take at least a dozen boxes.
#2. Use climamax(sp?) beads for humidification.
#3. Try to get a few pieces of spanish cedar in it, but boxes alone are OK.
#4. Open it at least once a month to give them a bit of fresh air.

Anything else that Im missing???

I have a small desktop, one that my grandfather made some time ago. It's always been about half full, but after joining here, it became obvious that that will just not suffice...

I just picked up an Igloo "Ice Cube" 48 quart. It's kind of small, but this is my first coolerdor. $12.74 at Walmart. One cool feature is a removable food tray that looks like a great place to put humidification or maybe even singles. I've got climmax beads on the way. Also plan in a small biscuit fan to circulate air. You can run the power cord through the drain hole at the bottom, and plug it with expanding foam, rubber cement or whatever.

Since it's small, I have an upgrade path in front of me. Should I run out of room, then another trip to Walmart for a 120+, and this little one will revert to auxilliary backup status. Unless I've converted a closet to a walk in by then.

As far as credit cards go, I average about 2 offers a day in the mail. I'm not worried... :p

The food tray makes a nice area to hold your gift cigars to keep them seperate. It isn't nice to trade them or regift them. Mine is a 75 qt igloodor. holds maybe 10 boxes and some singles in trays.

There's absolutely no need for a fan in a coolerdor.... especially one that small. A fan will create heat, something you don't want. If you are using climmax beans you don't need to do anything else.

I agree with Kenny on the fan idea, don't do it.

If you open your coolerdor as often as I do :p there is no need for a fan AND as Kenny pointed out, the fan (even as small as it is) will generate a significant ammount of heat which is very bad.

Quick question... What would you use to clean the inside of the cooler to reduce or remove that plastic smell before setup? Going to go see whats on sale at Wally-World tonight.

I never cleaned mine out cause it was an old one I never used and the lid had been left to air out.

I would use a mild detergent and then folow up with a mixture of baking soda and water mixture.

What would you use to clean the inside of the cooler to reduce or remove that plastic smell before setup?

Well, in my case, I did absolutely nothing. I store my cigars in cedar boxes inside the cooler and after a day or two, when I open the cooler, all I smell is that cedar/cigar aroma :thumbs:

Mine is a 100 quart size Coleman and I don't think I paid over $30.00 from Wally-Mart.