• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolers to prefer/Coolers to avoid

MonkeyK

Seeing the wealth of experience in creating coolerdors here, I was wondering if anyone recommends any brand/model of cooler particularly highly. Also has anyone tried a brand/model that they now consider to be innapropriate?

-Mike

Before I got my Humidor I used 2 Coleman coolers. For cigars I think they are all created equal. For keeping things cold there are differences. :)

Some of the guys have mentioned getting good deals at different stores on 160qt (I could be wrong on exact size but it is way up there near 160) marine Igloos. These are big white monsters that will hold a ton of sticks.

Paragod made his out of one of these and put a lot of hard work into it. Just click on his www link to go look at his pics. Its past all the marine stuff a ways. He really did do a great job on it. There may also be pics in his thread he started about making it.

Here are a couple of his as well, I hope he doesn't mind.

site1060.JPG

site1065.JPG

I have a Coleman as well. I don't think the name brand makes any difference.

coventrycat86 said:
I have a Coleman as well. I don't think the name brand makes any difference.
I have a coleman too.

The only reason I would suggest a coleman over an igloo is if you want to do shelves - if you're going to do shelves, the coleman is built for them already with grooves that go ALL the way back. Igloo's have half-grooves, so you have to build extensions (like the ones in the picture in his cooler above)

I think the Igloo was chosen just because its so dang big. I've never seen one that big before. I agree any will do, brand really doesn't matter, and the ladies always try to tell me size doesn't matter. Whatever works for you and fits in with what you want to do.

For example, you may want to stand yours on end so it will fit in a closet. If so then a taller one may be a big deal for you even if it does need a little more work for extensions. For me, I would keep mine laid down as they are usually kept, so rails wouldn't matter at all either way. Just whatever works for you and fits in with your plans.

I just saw the FAQ on CigarGroup.
In it is a general suggestion that the cooler not have molded/sloping sides so that it can stand up properly.

I just bought my third Igloo Polar Star 150qt this morning. Sam's Club has them here for $60. They work great :)

I have the green 150qt Coleman cooler. I always had to keep it "over-humidifed" as it never sealed very well. My collection is starting to severly dwindle down, so I moved everything over to a 15qt and that one seals up perfectly.

I certainly don't mean to bash Colelman, but everyone is saying how great they are, and I thought you should know one of the negatives.

Dave

I use Igloo's and run a thin strip of weather stripping around the inside lip as "extra" protection.

JOE.M. said:
...and run a thin strip of weather stripping around the inside lip as "extra" protection.
"Ribbed for your pleasure" :D

I have an Igloo that I am happy with. I especially like that it has grooves that go all the way to the bottom so when I flipped it up like a fridge I can use the grooves for cedar shelves.

My igloo is Black, has grooves all the way to the bottom, came with a plastic shelf/basket, and ....and....it has wheels :D

Great for those times when you have to drag an overfilled iglodor to the beach...Hey didn't I see a corona Commercial like that???? :)

I am slowly climbing the mountain.

First came the humble but effective 28 quart Coleman, $9.50. Real simple day picnic affair for a couple or small family.

Today I stepped up to the 50 quart Coleman, $13.99, with 4 drink recesses on top and a ruler to measure the Presidente's. Why it doesn't have a ring gauge seems silly. This seems built for the day fisherman who needs to fit 24 beers plus bait.

Anyway the whole contents of the old cooler filled this, and now I can justify buying those Maria Mancini De Gaulles in the 40 cabinet. And that is America.

I was casing out the 120 quart med large size for about $40. That bad boy should be coming home about April, when the other 2 are full. And this is what America is all about!

This was at the Shelton Wal Mart where coolers are so in the back this time of year despite the heat wave engulfing Connecticut. The unseasonable warmth is just in time for the Commander Cody show in Glastonbury, which may be our first CT herf.

Thread highjack

I like my clear Rubbermaid 50 qt cooler because I can look right through at my digital hygrometer and check the humidity and temperature without having to take the lid off. Call me lazy!

Will don't do shelves. Will lies dem' Igloodors flat so dem' have EXTRA high capacity. Will likes dem' Igloodors horizontal like Will likes dem' women. :D

Oh my, Will can't type proper English no more. May be Will have one more Scotch and tink 'bout 'dis. :D