• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor is in the works

gahdzila

After a buying frenzy left my lil 100 count desktop humi overflowing, I knew I had to do *something*. So...

My humidor sits atop a sofa table (something similar to this or this) with a long tablecloth that hangs almost to the floor. I decided I wanted a cooler that would fit underneath the table, on the bottom shelf of it, and sit under the tablecloth so as to not be visible. Not that my lil humidor table is exactly gorgeous or anything, but a big honking ice chest next to it would detract a bit, I think
wink.gif

I measured the underside of the table carefully, and headed off to the sporting goods store to see what was available. Lo and behold, I found one that was PERFECT. (linky) It's actually a bit bigger than what I thought I would need, and I was hoping to find a cheaper one...but the size and shape is absolutely perfect to fit in the spot I wanted to put it.

Today, I poured in a cup of bleach and filled it with water, and let it soak for about an hour, then rinsed it out really good and left it sitting out in the sun for 6 or 8 hours, then wiped the inside down with a clean damp rag (it was windy today, and the cooler had bit of dust after sitting outside). That pretty much took care of the new plastic smell as far as I could tell...but, just to be sure, I brought it inside and dumped a box of baking soda in. I'm going to leave the baking soda in for a couple of days, dump that out, then pour in another box of baking soda for another couple of days. That's probably overkill, but baking soda is cheap, and I've got plenty of time, as I just ordered my 65% beads today.

Heartfelt recommended 8 ounces of beads, but I went ahead and ordered a full pound. I'm going to use most of it in the cooler, but save a few (2 or 3 ounces, I think?) out for the desktop humi, and get rid of that crappy green foam thing that came with it.

I'm not planning to line with cedar, but I am going to keep it full of empty cigar boxes. At least, it will be full of empty boxes until I fill it up!

I'll post some pics later if I get time.

Thanks a million to this GREAT community for the giving me the fantastic idea of building a coolidor, and for all of your excellent tips and recommendations.

Ah...I remember putting together my first cooledor. Sounds like you've got it all covered. Remember that you'll likely need another one before you know it.

It sounds like you did your homework.

See you on the slopes ;)

Steve

Thanks for the votes of confidence, guys. Yeah, I definitely did my homework!

Remember that you'll likely need another one before you know it.

Holy crap, I hope not! LOL!

Received my Xikar hygrometer today, salt testing it now. I have one of these in my desktop, and really like it, so I ordered one just like it for the cooler. I also swapped out the baking soda in the cooler, as I mentioned earlier. No odor in the cooler at all at this point that I could detect, except for the very faint bland aroma of the baking soda. Still waiting for the beads.

I got 10 empty boxes from a friend. They seem *really* dry (as dry as my desktop humidor was when I first got it, before I seasoned it), so I'm planning to wipe them with distilled water and let them "season" in the cooler for a few days before putting any cigars in them.

Nice job! Way to be efficient with placing it under the table and whatnot. I am currently working on converting mine into a standing fridge style one with shelves to take up less space.

Oh, almost forgot, make sure to split the beads out into nylon sacs throughout the coolidor for even humidification.