• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Coolidor Project

SamGuss

Hi guys, as you have probably read on the other thread my new humi is having mold problems. So, considering that I am going to need the space I am going to build a coolidor. Now, in the past I have used a cooler, threw in some of that spngy styrofoam stuff soaked with water, and simply put the cigars in used cigar boxes and wallah had fine storage for the purpose.

This time around though I want to do it right. I am big into organization (you would hardly guess it considering my place is always a mess as well as my desk - but my cigars now are organized! I know, priorities :p ) and I just don't want a cooler filled with some used cigar boxes holding cigars.

So what I am looking for is the following:

1) Pics of Coolidors for inspiration.

2) Detailed instructions and plans for coolidors.

3) Anything else I might want to take in consideration before making this thing.

Either post here, or send privately to my e-mail: Samuel.Guss@usa.xerox.com

My thanks in advance to everyone.

Sam

Well Sam I will post a follow to your question from the other thread, as to the wood, I bought it at a place called "Woodcraft" They are a wood hobby store, the wood cost me 6.95 for a 3 foot length by 3 in width, 1/4 in thick. As for display, well I don't know why you would want to do that, it is a coolidor it will be closed most of they time and I shudder at the problems you would have putting in a window. Now some of the problems I ran into in making this beast, is that I really should have gotten a cooler that had an extra door so that I didnt have to open the whole thing each and everytime I wanted to get something. The next thing was that I messed around adding cigar sheets to the interior which in itself wasn't a bad idea, but trying to get the damn things to stick was a bitch. So I would say don't do that. So if you where going to put in shelves use Spanish Cedar, and that way it will give you the great aroma, and look nice. One of the things I couldnt stress enough is "BUY CLIMMAXX BEADS. Trust me that is one of your best options, don't even think of using anything else. Now as you can see by my picture it is a little bit messy, but it serves a purpose, plus I don't know a damn thing about woodworking. I hope this helps. Plus if you really need some of the wood, I can get it at the woodcraft shop, just let me know how much you need. but I am sure you could find a local shop near you, trust me it is cheaper than going online to buy it.

Thanks PG, and yes I am reading through the original thread.

Damn you pad a lot :p

But lots of info and good pics.

So I understand clearly here, all that cedar is NOT neccessary as long as you have at least some cigar boxes with cedar in them already and what ever amount of cedar you are using for shelves correct? The rest of it (on the sides and door) is just for show?

Sam

Basically that is correct. I used spanish cedar for the shelves, and that alone gives enough cedar. plus of course the cedar cigar boxes. You really don't need anymore than that. I would also make sure that you clean your new cooler out thoroughly. As to the fact some new coolers have a odor. Plus when buying your cooler check to see if there is any slots for the shelves. I had a hard time finding a cooler big enough that had shelves, and that is why I had to add extensions to the cooler.

And there is something wrong with tossin the boxes in, adding some beads, and closing the lid? ???

:sign: Do what ever looks good to you. ;) I just never had the space to give up for shelves. ;)

Nothing wrong with that at all Wascal.

Only in my case, I don't have a lot of cigars. As a matter of fact had this 100-125 count humi worked I probably wouldn't need any other storage for at least a year. So doing a coolidor just for storage is overkill at this point for me, so I might as well be able to look at it as being a nice piece of cigar furniture (at least once you ipen the thign up). I also don't have enough nor plan on having it anytime soon, enough cigars to start aging. Now if that's all I was doing was aging them, then of course your solution is the best and one I will jump at when I get to that level. So right now, I just need a way to keep my sticks organized and correctly humified.

Sam

Wascal said:
And there is something wrong with tossin the boxes in, adding some beads, and closing the lid? ???
Heck no...that's what I do. For organization I have a bunch of boxes that I stash my singles in and they're all stacked up in there however they'll fit. Like a 3-D jigsaw puzzle.
Only in my case, I don't have a lot of cigars.
Yet... :) The only downside to having a cooler is that your supply of cigars will expand to fill the available space.....and then a little bit more. Then you have to get a bigger cooler and the process starts all over again. ;)

Sam you might as well give up right now, buy a couple of 150qt coolers and start filling them up! ;) :D

You'll need to decide a few things before taking on this project. Decided now if you want this to be about looks or function. Obviously, the function only route will cost you less. If you're looking for something pretty you need to decide your budget. You can get as fancy as you want. Here are some pictures to look at..... Homemade Humidors/Coolerdors

Its really as simple as buying a cooler, cleaning it, throw in your humidification, (if you're not using climmax beads you need to stabilize the humidity) and add cigars. If you do not have enough cigars to fill your cooler I highly recommend you fill it with empty cigar boxes to help stabalize.

Thanks for the advice.

Allofus hit the nail on the head with what is on my mind. While I need the extra room, I also know I don't need that much extra room - even with being in the IGBC and that within a few months I will undoubetedly have even more storage place with a larger humidor or another coolidor or whatever it takes.

So I do want something that adds at least something to the looks department - even if those looks really only apply to the "inside" of the storage unit. Thanks for sharing the link, it has given me a ton of ideas, both directly borrowed and some simply adjusted. Will keep you all updated as I get this project underway and eventually a pic of it when it is finished and I have a buddy over with a digital cam. I don't anticipate this being done before the end of July or even the start of August.

In the meantime I am using a tuppador.

Sam

Yeah thanks a whole freaking lot. Now I have to go get a cooler and get started on my coolidor. You had to post those pictures, the novel about PG's project wasn't enough...GGGEEEEEEEEEZZZZZ....o well, i guess now i must buy, buy, and buy some more to fill up the cooler. Will send pics in couple years when I get this thing full....unless some of youse guys feel the need... :D :sign: :sign:

gr8full2day said:
Will send pics in couple years when I get this thing full....unless some of youse guys feel the need...
*Whooop*
*Whooop*
*MOOCH ALERT*
*MOOCH ALERT*

*Whooop*
*Whooop*

:p

DaveWF said:
gr8full2day said:
Will send pics in couple years when I get this thing full....unless some of youse guys feel the need...
*Whooop*
*Whooop*
*MOOCH ALERT*
*MOOCH ALERT*

*Whooop*
*Whooop*

:p
RATS!!!! If it wasn't for those meddling kids, I got away with it!!!!