• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

coolidor vs fridgedor

Milton

So here is the deal....I have a small dorm room sized fridges downstairs that I'm not doing anything with and am debating if I want to build a coolidor or just convert the unused fridge. I've been looking for the past couple of days at the posts on the coolidor (which is obviously very popular) but haven't found alot of info on the fridgador.

What would I need to do to get the fridge setup, or is it as easy as putting in a hydrometer and some beads?

I live in MD and it gets stupid humid so I am gonna pick up the 65% Climmax beads for either one...also my house isn't the greatest for staying cool in the summer.

Any thoughts on cost and advantages to either? Thanks!

Lots of boxes chock full of cigars will take care of the cedar...can even put a small fan on a timer in there. Got that idea from Kenny. Beads and hydrometer and you're set. Mine holds a mere 48 boxes or so. :)

I use a fridge w/ a Cigar Oasis and it works great. I think I'm gonna put the beads in the cartridge when the water runs dry though.

If you choose to go with the fridge, you ought to post some pictures for all to see. I can't say that I've seen too many of those.

Here's mine:

FL000017_001.thumb.jpg

Small refrigerator, 65% beads, cigars in boxes, el cheapo brass analog hygrometer (which is all you need if you use beads ;) )

Got a question for you guys with the fridge:

Do ya'll keep them plugged in or unplugged?

cvmfour said:
Got a question for you guys with the fridge:

Do ya'll keep them plugged in or unplugged?
You can't be serious.........

:sign:

Hint: Does that 1935 Refrigerator in Nicko99's photo even LOOK LIKE it still works, never mind if it did, would you dare plug it in and risk burning your house down? :p :D

Okay, I'll stop being a wisea$$, I suppose some of these guys with the wine cooler ones plug them in because apparently you can adjust the temp up to 65 deg. F BUT most old fridges won't go much higher than 50 so NO.

Don't have one so don't quote me, but I've heard tell the fridge's aren't too good at moisture/temp exchange so once they're really up there, they stay up there. In the same article it only recommended the fridge if you're in a pretty stable environment (i.e. basement, constant air room, etc)

The coolers are much better at "breathing" and will therefore be able to adjust easier (the beads won't have to work so hard.)

Maybe an FOG can straighten me out if I'm wrong.

Awesome stuff nicko!, I love the black design with the white cigar drawing. CCat looks as if he has too many cigars, he should send some my way to make it look less gaudy. :p :p

Muley said:
Don't have one so don't quote me, but I've heard tell the fridge's aren't too good at moisture/temp exchange so once they're really up there, they stay up there. In the same article it only recommended the fridge if you're in a pretty stable environment (i.e. basement, constant air room, etc)

The coolers are much better at "breathing" and will therefore be able to adjust easier (the beads won't have to work so hard.)

Maybe an FOG can straighten me out if I'm wrong.
Since I open my refrigerdor at least five times a day, I don't worry too much about that :p :D

Fridgedor with beads.

Took out all the freezer and electrical parts.

Got somewhat anal, :D took the door panel out and lined with Spanish Cedar.

Thanks guys! I think that I am just gonna order some beads and set the fridge up ASAP...and then head over and start my newbie sampler! :D Lucasbuck keep an eye open for a PM! ;)

When I get it all going I will post some pics :thumbs:

Has anyone taken one of those large soda dispenser things and used that? You know what I mean, the see-through thing with shelves. :)

SFG75 said:
Has anyone taken one of those large soda dispenser things and used that? You know what I mean, the see-through thing with shelves. :)
Not yet, but that is next.

Either a wine/soda display case (dual sliding glass doors) or a Flower shop display unit.

*I could never figure out if my wine cooler fridge is frost free or not (dehumidifying the interior), so I have it turned off (but plugged in so the light works).

M. Gipson

gawntrail said:
Either a wine/soda display case (dual sliding glass doors) or a Flower shop display unit.
A flower display case makes a lot of sense. I suppose picking something like that up would be fairly cheap to do if you find the right pawn shop or business distributor. When I get more settled career wise, I'll have to look into something like that. It's fun to look at other people's stuff in the mean time. I like the set up a lot of people have. If anything I know that I want a fridge(or flower display case) that is very organized and of course, lined with Spanish cedar.

In coolidor news for me, I made a new coolidor purchase!! :D :) I have somewhat of a limited space in my house for a coolidor. I could buy some huge cooler, but due to the way that the front room is built, I need a cooler that is taller without being too wide to make space for heating vents and furniture, as well as keeping the rugrats from getting into it. I'm already using a smaller Coleman cooler, and I needed a bigger one to make room for some recent purchases. In the mean time, the Coleman is out of commission for now, but will be used again when the bigger one is full. :D I bought this 60-quart Igloo Ice Cube cooler yesterday and it's awesome! I've got two boxes of cigars in there, as well as two, gallon baggies filled with thirty or more cigars each.