• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

corojo cigar

knifeman

Reaction score
I have found that I really like corojos. I have tried quite a few different ones but was wondering how many different ones were out there. I have had Gran Habanos, punch, edge, 3 different ones from camacho, cusano, La Aurora and indian tabac. the worst in my opinion being the Indian tabac. I like the camacho 11/18, the edge and the gran habanos the best so far. So tell me what other brands am I missing out on?

A good value stick is the La Vieja Habana Fumas, they have a Corojo wrapper. They are a mixed filler stick but for about $2 they're a nice everyday stick which I enjoy very much. Even though they are mixed filler I have never had any problems with construction and burn on any of these, my personal favorite is the Chateau No. 3. Good price and you might really like them. :thumbs:

Well trilogy makes a corojo cigar. Thats about the only one you didnt list that i can think of. I personally dont like it but if you can find one give it a try.

Hey Knife,

Just remembered that Flor de Oliva makes a Corojo cigar also...haven't tried myself but have heard good things about them.

This may sound like a silly question, but what does corojo mean? I have done a search but come up empty.

thanks

When I went to the Big Smoke in AC, as I made the rounds I hit the Cusano table. It was literally cornered in the very, very back of the room, waaay back in on the right hand side. Kind of by a Cadillac car display. I had tried a few of these years and years ago, but didn't stand out. So, for "free," I thought what the hell...got me away from the chaos of the CAO/Dick Butkus line for awhile anyway.

The guy behind the table talked my dam* ear off, pushed a little hard about their line, but stuffed several sticks in my bag. Among them were some Cusano Corojos - little robusto size. Didn't think anything of it until I got home.

One night, sitting on my rear balcony overlooking South Beach, I decided, hell, light one up. Dam*...this was the little engine that could. I expected to be totally underwhelmed, but this baby delivered. I intended to post a review of it, but never really got around to it (I guess until now - sort of). Bottom line, I was surprised by this and would definitely not hestitate to keep some more on hand. Very tasty, very good, very, very smooth. Maybe the three fingers of Laphroaig 30 year that I had along with it colored my opinion of it, but I still stand by my take on it. :D

So, if you come across it, try it out. Defintiely affordable too from what I recall on seeing Cusano's line in shops.

JWJ said:
This may sound like a silly question, but what does corojo mean? I have done a search but come up empty.

thanks
[snapback]195151[/snapback]​

Corojo is just the name of that particular type of tobacco leaf. It started being grown in Cuba, long ago (pre-Castro) on some farm named "Corojo" that belonged to a guy named Daniel Rodriguez. Hence the name. Or so the lore goes. But, it's got a low-tolerance to blue mold, so it's apparently not widely grown in Cuban anymore, but is far more widely grown in Ecuador and Honduras.

Actually, to refer to the earlier post above, the Punch - "Rare Corojo" is not really a Corojo tobacco at all. It's actually Ecuadorian Sumatra. Punch has said they term it "Corojo" as a "marketing thing."

Also remembered that Don Tomas makes a hell of a monster of a Corojo. 6 x 60. Very tasty in fact. I've got a box of these that I keep on hand and go to every now and then, always treats me very, very nicely. You can usually pick these babies up at CI or CBid very moderately for a box.

I must also recommend the Cusano Corojo. I did a review of it search topics under my name. I liked the cigar so much I got several boxes through C-Bid auctions at a great price. I give them out to friends when we golf.

The Nicarao line of cigars is also a corojo wrapper. I have had a few of these and they are a smoke I really enjoy. I think they are also reletive newcomers to the scene so i do not know how hard they are to find. I know Famous has them for around 65 bucks a box for robustos.