• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Counterfeit Cigars

camaroon4me said:
smokers only said:
I see you live in MI, I to live here. Smokys is a reputable retailer but there prices are high IMO. But they still sell a **** load of cigars cause, there humidor is so big and they have almost everything you could want!

here in mich I still think JR's is one of the best if your looking for cigars!

-matt
Yeah Matt, I agree that Smoky's prices are high, but they do have a great selection, and the location in Royal Oak also has a smoking lounge with a nice size tv, so that has to count for something. Im in Roseville, my friends and I like to go to Rogers Roost sometimes and have a smoke, let me know where you are from and maybe we can get together next time.
JV
Either of you been to Churchills in Birmingham? It's on Old Woodward south of Maple. That's a real nice joint - owner was nice too. I've only been there once, last year when I was home for a couple weeks, but he hooked me up and helped me mail some stuff back to myself here in Japan.

Seems like there are more Michiganders here than I thought... see y'all soon.

As for the Cohibas - like most things in Asia I see alot of knockoffs and usually they have the wrong number of block rows (3 or 5 instead of 4) but I haven't seen a Y&B band claiming to be Dominican. Though I doubt there is much interest in Faking non-Cubans here, since they can be imported (expensive after import taxes) so there are alot of Fake Cuban of any brand. Below is a CA artical on the Domican Y&B fake though.....

CA Article

-K-

blair said:
ricmac25 said:
According to this, Cohiba existed in Cuba before the revolution. According to Min Ron Nee's book, which I would give a little more credibility than an About.com article, the brand did not exist before the revolution. The cigars existed in 1963, and were given out as "diplomatic gifts to foreign heads of state". It did not officially become a "Cohiba" until 1966. Therefore, no one owned the copyrights to the name before the revolution.
That's an interesting conflict of information. I think I'm with you though. I'd believe the book's facts over about.com's.
From what I have heard,

when the Cohiba brand was being given out at diplo. gifts, some guy over at General Cigar got his hands on one or two of these [given from a friend].

After smoking them and thinking how great they were, he went to the copyright guys and asked if the brand name "Cohiba" was registered.

As it was not [being a diplomatic gift brand from a countey we were ignoring], he registered the brand name as a new cigar name for himself.

That is why General says they can sell them, as they had supposedly gotten the rights to them a while ago.

:thumbs:

Treamayne said:
Either of you been to Churchills in Birmingham? It's on Old Woodward south of Maple. That's a real nice joint - owner was nice too. I've only been there once, last year when I was home for a couple weeks, but he hooked me up and helped me mail some stuff back to myself here in Japan.

Seems like there are more Michiganders here than I thought... see y'all soon.
I cant say that I have been there, I never heard of the place. Iam going to have to go check it out. thanks

-matt

Wildcard said:
The Red Dot COhibas are a legal brand. Don't know for how much longer though.

Until May 31st, last I heard. ??? But I'm beginning to think that General isn't gonna pull 'em and destroy 'em like they were ordered.
They might be forced to pull'em, but I bet they would re-band them as something else. Why waste all those good smokes! ???