• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Couple random questions

Bu11dog

So my kids are watching Scooby Doo and I think to myself....self what if the writers were sitting around one day smoking a big fat doobie and they said to themselves... "how can we get kids to say the word doobie, that would be really funny"?
So now we have, Scoobie Doobie Doo..

Next question...
(this one I'm sure has been discussed at some point in the long history here but here goes)
In places like Jamaica do people roll cigars with marijuana? I mean I had a guy working for me (longer story here) who I saw on a corner known for drugs and prostitution and he had the biggest freakin' blunt I'd ever seen, except for the smell it easliy passed for a cigar.
Guess I've spent too many years working with in the juvenile justice system :whistling:

Giant Blunts: It all started with Cheech & Chong's Big Bamboo album. BTW, they are on tour again for the first time since 1985.

Heard at work one day: "give Shaggy da baggy and let Scooby roll the doobie"

Anyone ever notice when they opened the door of the Mystery Machine that it always looked like smoke rolled out. Maybe its just me though.

I always thought Shaggy and Scoobie had some sort of beastialitic relationship

Next two random questions...

1) My son asked me tonight what the most expensive cigar you could buy was, heck if I know but when I have time I'll start checking.

2) My daughter says as we are eating cherry tomatoes, "why do they call tomatoes, tomatoes?"

Scooby and Shaggy, you can love your dog, you just can't looooovvvvve your dog.
Shaggy just blew smoke in Scoobies face so they were both loaded ;)

1) Gurkha His Majesty Reserve

taken from a website: With only 10 boxes of 20 cigars released each year, the famous 'His Majesty's Reserve' sells for between $9,000 and $10,000

Cohiba "Behike" is probably up there for a "production" cigar. $18,860 for a box of 40 or over $470 each.

2) My daughter says as we are eating cherry tomatoes, "why do they call tomatoes, tomatoes?"

It's the Aztec word for them filtered through Spanish:

The tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum) takes its name from the Aztec (Nahuatl) word tomatl via Spanish tomate. The earliest reference which we can find [The History of the Indies by D’Acosta, translated by E. Grimstone, 1604] refers to the tomato as "a great sappy and savourie graine". How splendidly goofy! Due to its resemblance to Deadly Nightshade, this fruit was believed by many to be poisonous and was generally avoided until the latter half of the 19th century. Indeed, the name of its botanical genus, Lycopersicum, reflects this aversion - it means "wolf peach"

As long as we're both on and off the topic . . . and how could one tell in a thread like this? . . . I just thought I'd mention that one of my nephew's friends knows virtually every episode of Scooby Do by heart. :laugh:

~Boar

Tomato Etymology is easy enough to find on-line.

1753, earlier tomate (1604), from Sp. tomate (1554) from Nahuatl tomatl "a tomato," lit. "the swelling fruit," from tomana "to swell." Spelling probably influenced by potato (1565). A member of the nightshade family, which all contain poisonous alkaloids. Introduced in Europe from the New World, by 1550 they were regularly consumed in Italy but only grown as ornamental plants in England and not eaten there or in the U.S. at first. An encyclopedia of 1753 describes it as "a fruit eaten either stewed or raw by the Spaniards and Italians and by the Jew families of England." Introduced in U.S. as part of a program by Sec. of State Thomas Jefferson (1789), but not commonly eaten until after c.1830. Alternate name love apple and alleged aphrodisiac qualities have not been satisfactorily explained; perhaps from It. name pomodoro, taken as from adorare "to adore," but probably actually from d'or "of gold" (in reference to color) or de Moro "of the Moors." Slang meaning "an attractive girl" is recorded from 1929.

It's the Aztec word for them filtered through Spanish:

The tomato (Lycopersicum esculentum) takes its name from the Aztec (Nahuatl) word tomatl via Spanish tomate. The earliest reference which we can find [The History of the Indies by D’Acosta, translated by E. Grimstone, 1604] refers to the tomato as "a great sappy and savourie graine". How splendidly goofy! Due to its resemblance to Deadly Nightshade, this fruit was believed by many to be poisonous and was generally avoided until the latter half of the 19th century. Indeed, the name of its botanical genus, Lycopersicum, reflects this aversion - it means "wolf peach"

I wonder how mad my wife would be if I taught the kids to only use scientific names for common items. Hmmm.
Nah don't think she will go for it.

Cool, so we've established that Scooby and Shaggy were potheads, tomatoes have an interesting history lesson and one of the most expensive cigars is $470 a stick.

Next question...?

Why is the sky blue? :laugh:

The blue color of the sky is due to Rayleigh scattering. As light moves through the atmosphere, most of the longer wavelengths pass straight through. Little of the red, orange and yellow light is affected by the air.

However, much of the shorter wavelength light is absorbed by the gas molecules. The absorbed blue light is then radiated in different directions. It gets scattered all around the sky. Whichever direction you look, some of this scattered blue light reaches you. Since you see the blue light from everywhere overhead, the sky looks blue.

Compliments of the great GOOGLE

Are blue balls, really blue?

When a man becomes sexually excited, the arteries carrying blood to the genital area enlarge, while the veins carrying blood from the genital area are more constricted than in the non-aroused state.

This uneven blood flow causes an increase in volume of blood trapped in the genitals and contributes to the penis becoming erect and the testicles becoming engorged with blood. During this process of vasocongestion the testicles increase in size 25-50 percent.

If the male reaches orgasm and ejaculates, the arteries and veins return to their normal size, the volume of blood in the genitals is reduced and the penis and testicles return to their usual size rather quickly.

If ejaculation does not occur there may be a lingering sensation of heaviness, aching, or discomfort in the testicles due to the continued vasocongestion. This unpleasant feeling has popularly been called blue balls, perhaps because of the bluish tint that appears when blood engorges the vessels in the testicles.

courtesy of google and Discovery Health