• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Covering around the Seal on a Humidor

JimK said:
Bill Clinton said:
JimK said:
Bill Clinton said:
JimK said:
What is the weather stripping made of?  I'm afraid that the weatherstripping or the adhesive may outgas and produce unpleasant smells in your humi.

JK
[snapback]266266[/snapback]​

I placed the weather stripping ONLY on the outside part of the humidor along the edge of the lid and along the edge of the body of the humidor right before where the lid "meets" with the body of the humidor on the edge of the seam.

NONE of the weather stripping is exposed to the inside of the lid of the humidor. There is an odor that the weather stripping emits, but the odor that is being emitted is exposed only to the exterior part of the humidor. When the lid is closed shut, both strips of the weather stripping meet with each other to act as a seal on the outside part of the humidor along the seam where the lid meets the body of the humidor.

[snapback]266278[/snapback]​

Well, if the weather stripping is completely sealed off from the humidor, then the weather stripping is unnecessary, since that would mean your humidor is perfectly sealed inside the lip. However, if your humidor is not perfectly sealed, I would be concerned about the smell of the stripping. It sounds like it is in an enclosed space, and has nowhere to go except inside your humidor.

JK
[snapback]266321[/snapback]​

I don't understand what you mean. To make you better understand and for you to have a better picture in your mind of how my humidor looks right now with the weather stripping, the weather stripping is stuck to ONLY the exterior part of the humidor. None of the weather stripping goes inside the seam. The weather stripping is ONLY on the "edge" of the lid and ONLY on the "edge" of the body of the exterior part of the humidor. And the weather strips "meet" with each other ONLY on the exterior part of the humidor when the lid is closed shut to the body of the humidor. So, there is NO WAY that any odor from the weather stripping can get inside the humidor. This is the ONLY fix that can be done to help seal my humidor. Any of the other fixes will not correct the leak in the seal. The weather stripping acts as a barrier or wall to stop humidity from exiting the humidor. And it is only exposed to the outside air of my room. It is not exposed to the inside of the humidor or to the inside of the seal of the humidor in any way. If it does give off any odor, it will be temporary because the air circulation of the room will cause the odor to go away with time. It's not like the weather stripping is enclosed inside the humidor or anything like that. It isn't.
I spoke to Viper about the way that I set up the weahter stripping on my humidor and he told me that the odor that the weather stripping is giving off will not affect my cigars because it is located on the exterior part of the humidor and not on the interior of the humidor. The odor should go away with a little bit of time from being exposed to the room's air circulation. It is the same type of weather stripping that's used for windows and doors. Viper also told me that this type of fix with weather stripping is a very common fix.

I don't know what else to tell you about this, but I hope that you understand what I am trying to say here. The odor of the weather stripping should not affect the cigars because it's on the outside, not on the inside of the humidor.
[snapback]266385[/snapback]​

It's really simple. If it is impossible (as you say) for the odor from the weatherstripping to get in your humidor through the seal, then it is impossible for humidity to get out through that same seal.

Look, the real story here is that you worry and post way too much about these things. I remember one of your other posts on another board where you bought a bunch of cigars and wanted everyone to critique your purchase. You worried so much about what everyone thought, and should you have bought something different, and on and on, just like here. It gets really old.

You have gotten the best advice you are going to get on this thread. Try what has been suggested and if it doesn't work, you need to ditch the footlocker and get a good humidor. If you have over $1000 in cigars as you say, it really shouldn't be a big deal to go to Bargain Humidors and get a $99 decent humidor to keep them in. It's that simple.
[snapback]266468[/snapback]​

You are right. I will check out Bargain humidors.com.