• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP's "Cigar 101" Newbie Pass 5

Alrighty then. Some comments for discussion.

T: Tatuaje Noella Reserva $7.20 - Does anyone feel there should be any rarity added to this cigar? Can anyone find a box in stock anywhere? If so, please PM me asap. :D
P: Don Pepin Black Figurado 1973 $7.63

T: WOAM $7.90 - The actual MSRP on this is $8.35, which is more than likely not what most would pay for these. I would say there's a bit of rarity value as well as you can't just go out and buy a box.
P: VSG Tres Mystique $8.80 - Due to there only being one price on Cigarcyclopedia, I went searching and found a number of online vendors and came up with an average price of $7.80 ea. I would also say there's no rarity as they are readily available at numerous places.

Tower $192.00
Serious $189.95
Tex Cigars $171.95
NH Cigars $184.99
Famous $172.99
CI $211.20
Total $1,123.08 divided by six avg $187.18 per box divided by 24 sticks

T: Opus Petit Lancero $11.00 - Definitely a rarity factor in this cigar. What would be a good guess for the actual average price these cigars go for today?
P: La Aurora Preferidos Emerald - It looks like $11.31 is a good price, however there's no rarity for this cigar. Does $.31 make up for the rarity value of the Opus?

T: Padron 3000 $5.00 - I found $4.32 based on Cigarcyclopdia (maddie?)
P: Cuesta Rey Centenario Pyramid No. 9 Natural $5.15

P: La Aurora Barrel Aged #4
P: Illusione cg:4

Don't forget to add the numbers! ;)

Damn, I learn something new every day. How do you factor in rarity with the price in the case of the Petite Lancero? Do you go off of fair market value versus MSRP?

Alrighty then. Some comments for discussion.

T: Tatuaje Noella Reserva $7.20 - Does anyone feel there should be any rarity added to this cigar? Can anyone find a box in stock anywhere? If so, please PM me asap. :D
P: Don Pepin Black Figurado 1973 $7.63

T: WOAM $7.90 - The actual MSRP on this is $8.35, which is more than likely not what most would pay for these. I would say there's a bit of rarity value as well as you can't just go out and buy a box.
P: VSG Tres Mystique $8.80 - Due to there only being one price on Cigarcyclopedia, I went searching and found a number of online vendors and came up with an average price of $7.80 ea. I would also say there's no rarity as they are readily available at numerous places.

Tower $192.00
Serious $189.95
Tex Cigars $171.95
NH Cigars $184.99
Famous $172.99
CI $211.20
Total $1,123.08 divided by six avg $187.18 per box divided by 24 sticks

T: Opus Petit Lancero $11.00 - Definitely a rarity factor in this cigar. What would be a good guess for the actual average price these cigars go for today?
P: La Aurora Preferidos Emerald - It looks like $11.31 is a good price, however there's no rarity for this cigar. Does $.31 make up for the rarity value of the Opus?

T: Padron 3000 $5.00 - I found $4.32 based on Cigarcyclopdia (maddie?)
P: Cuesta Rey Centenario Pyramid No. 9 Natural $5.15

P: La Aurora Barrel Aged #4
P: Illusione cg:4

Don't forget to add the numbers! ;)

Damn, I learn something new every day. How do you factor in rarity with the price in the case of the Petite Lancero? Do you go off of fair market value versus MSRP?

In this case, I'm looking at rarity for rarity, not price. For example, an acceptable trade for the Opus PL which is an '08 release, would be an Anejo 55 from say '07. The Anejo is a little less in price, however the year age would be factored in to equal it out. Value for value, rarity for rarity. There will of course be some exception at times, such as for the WOAM that has some rarity value and the Illusione that has none. I would prefer, as mentioned, rarity for rarity, however this one I'll let go letting the price difference make up for rarity value. I added these in the pass just for this purpose, to discuss and learn about rarity value. I also want to keep a rare cigar (or HTF if you will) in the pass. Make sense?

It does. I mirror what Charles said. I'm learning a lot already. My problem is that I want some of those rare sticks, but don't have anything close to put in return. :( Oh well. There are definitely others I want to try as well.

I plan on adding some "rare®" smokes to the pass(at least I think they are). If i can find trades that I like!
thumbs-up.gif

I am not part if this pass but have learned a lot by reading through the thread and hope it ok to ask a question. I am new here so let me ask a newb question.

As DirtyDave says above, what do you do if you don't have the rare smokes to place back into the trade? Just not take a rare smoke out? Or, is it perfectly acceptable to go to the local B&M a buy something to "P" back in?

Again I hope its ok to jump in here!

Thanks!

I am not part if this pass but have learned a lot by reading through the thread and hope it ok to ask a question. I am new here so let me ask a newb question.

As DirtyDave says above, what do you do if you don't have the rare smokes to place back into the trade? Just not take a rare smoke out? Or, is it perfectly acceptable to go to the local B&M a buy something to "P" back in?

Again I hope its ok to jump in here!

Thanks!

Always okay to ask question in a newbie pass! It's simple really, if you post a T/P that doesn't work, it will not be approved, so don't post a trade if you know it won't work (lower value stick for a higher value stick, price and/or value wise). Doesn't matter where/when you get a cigar to trade as long as it works.

Keep in mind this is a starter pass, so I'm being fairly strict on trades.

All but the Opus/La Aurora trade looks to be okay. Do you have something that can match the rarity of the Opus PL?

I do but I won't put it in. I'll withdraw that P/T only because I have a feeling that the PL will be at the center of a couple more valuable discussions

Any Idea when the handoff will be. I will be away Thursday and Friday so will need to arrange pickup if it will be headin my way in the next day or 2?

All but the Opus/La Aurora trade looks to be okay. Do you have something that can match the rarity of the Opus PL?

I do but I won't put it in. I'll withdraw that P/T only because I have a feeling that the PL will be at the center of a couple more valuable discussions

Thanks Los, that's the way to play brother. All approved and ready to go!

You're up Jim! Hopefully you can make it to the handoff herf tomorrow.

Definately not going to make the handfoff (about 3 hours from the city). But i will post my takes/puts tonight!!:D

Here is a little more for the PL discussion

The PL's vintage you say is an 08 and used an anejo from 07 to match it; but from what I have read on the board in the past, isn't the anejo more of a rarity than the opus due to release type, once for the anejos and two to three times a year for the opus? Would an anejo 55 from 08 not be as rare or rarer (if that's even a word)?
I ask because I know I can find the PL's in my B&M's around me (if I get there on time) but the 55 is usually a little harder.

So what do you pass participants think?

That's a good point, personally neither the Opus, nor Anejo are available in my area, so they're both pretty rare to me. When we were talking about price for price this seemed pretty easy, but now that rarity needs consideration, this seems difficult at least to me, what's not rare to you is rare to me, and furthermore, how do we and a quantitative value to a qualitative one? I for one am getting nervous about when the pass will arrive at my door, I thought it would be fun to be involved, but am growing fearful that I'm going to piss someone off.

That's a good point, personally neither the Opus, nor Anejo are available in my area, so they're both pretty rare to me. When we were talking about price for price this seemed pretty easy, but now that rarity needs consideration, this seems difficult at least to me, what's not rare to you is rare to me, and furthermore, how do we and a quantitative value to a qualitative one? I for one am getting nervous about when the pass will arrive at my door, I thought it would be fun to be involved, but am growing fearful that I'm going to piss someone off.
Like KingAntz said in an earlier post.... if the p/t isnt up to snuff, it simply wont get approved. Plus I think the point of a newbi pass is to learn what is acceptable and what isnt. Pretty sure no one will get upset, unless of course you run off with the smokes... then people might get a bit angry ;)

No worries brother:thumbs: This pass should be a fun and worthwhile expierience for all involved. As far as pissing anyone off, your name isn't Los so you have nothing to worry about. Do your research and know what your cigars are worth, and tyr to obtain some cigars you have not tried, or ones you know you love!!

Nah, if you replace it with seaweed they might start a contest! :D :sign:

You buncha mooks aren't ready for seaweed level passing yet. Stay in school :cool: :D

FWIW I think the Opus/Anejo are equally rare from a historical perspective (some years anejos seem to be more abundant, some years opus) although the Opus is worth like 25 or 50 cents more. In some passes it doesn't matter, in some it does.

I was nervous too, especially about going first. No one is going to be pissed because we are all learning something here. That's the whole idea of posting p/t's in advance so that we can all see and learn. If you research your puts and takes you shouldn't be too far off.

Ok lets give these a try:

Take: #2 Arturo Fuente Don Carlos No.2 - $10.75
Put: #55 Anejo Shark (09)- $10.25

Take: #49 CAO LX2 Lancero- $6.72
Put: #56 Cain Maduro 6 x 50- $7.20

Take: #19 LFD DL Oscuro Lancero- $8.13
Put: # 57 Opus X No. 5 (07)- $9.00

Let me know what you guy's think!