• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CP's "Cigar 101" Newbie Pass 5

Sorry folks, coming in from my grad class on my iPhone. I'm going to look through the price list and try to find something I can get locally on exchange for the Tat. I appreciate all the help and confidence.

I think this should fit:

T: Illusione 888 Churchill 7.12
P: Ashton 8-9-8 7.14

This next one I want to preface, I'd like to point out that this is purely rhetorical, I'm trying to understand what would make a good trade for the Shark, so after going through the price list, I came up with the following?

T: Anejo 77 10.25 (Nashkicker)
P: Tatuaje Gran Cojonu 12.78

The only thing I ask, is that in addition to discussion about whether this works or not, if it does not, can someone point out examples of things that would? Especially something for a newbie who doesn't necessarily have rare cigars to trade, because I'm getting the feeling that as an individual, if you do not have a matching cigar in rarity and price, that you can not participate in a trade for one by offering something more easily available. I have no problem with that, I'm just trying to understand myself, since until CP, I didn't know there was a rare cigar, I was misled to believe the more expensive the cigar the "better, rarer, more exquisite" it would be. And then the other question is, how does one obtain cigars of this caliber to trade in the future?

Hey Dan, I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you are trying too hard to obtain the Shark on this pass when it is the same category as the Opus PL, hard to find and harder to price due to different vendors having different mark-ups all over the country.

If I were in your position in having less finances/cigar stock than the rest in obtaining select cigars, I would go for other cigars like Nasty spoke of, say the Viaje,Padilla's, Cuesta Ray, but you get what I mean. Maybe once you try the Illsione you will be happier due to the availability of them online and be okay until say.....Christmas time when the Anejo's hit the market?

I didn't have any aged cigars until I partook (sp?) in the Gas Pass Auction recently. Now I have, but those are for my smoking, never to be traded or sold. I started buying/smoking for the last 2 years and then I joined CP just because by then I had enough ammo to play. Eventually, you will slowly build your war chest, it's inevitable once you join here (damn/thank you guys :) ;) )

Maybe you would care for the other Fuente's, I know I love the Hemingway Maduro's! Just don't get discouraged and enjoy the thrill of just playing and making friends during this pass, I know I enjoy calling people by name when I see them post.

Appreciate the post David, and let me say no offense taken.

I'm not sure if you just assumed that I was BS'ing when I made the comment about it being rhetorical, because I was not, it was purely rhetorical. The reason for posting it was for knowledge to myself and anyone else that's unsure how it should be treated. There was a discussion earlier about it with the Don Carlos and the Shark trade, and it seems to go both ways. Some people say it's ok to add on some money to a more readily available cigar to obtain a more rare one, other's don't. So I guess I'm trying to feel the waters out on this one and get accustomed to how this works.

Like I said, please take the question on the Shark as a rhetorical situation, I'm kind of putting myself out there to hopefully educate myself.

Everyone keeps talking about how this is purposely the newbie pass so that there are questions being asked and lessons being learned, so lets go there, I assume that would be a no on the Shark for the Tat, so assuming you were going to try to trade for the Shark, what would you offer?

My 2 cents. It's too subjective to try to add value to rarity. It's easier to say I will trade this rare $15 smoke for that rare $15 smoke than to try to decide how much to add to it's value to trade for a more available stick.

sorry about that Dan, I got carried away in my thinking and forgot it was a hypothetical situation, my bad bro' :blush: Please excuse the newbness.

When you did ask about the Shark and what I would "put", it actally stumped me as I scrambled for comparison prices. The current prices still left on the sites are really high, higher than what I paid for before and MSRP is something I have no contacts per se in vendors that would sell it to me at that price. Sooooo, I started looking in my humidor for something comparable. I found I have Davidoff Reserva 12, Casa Fuente (2 sizes), other Opus sizes from Fuente sets,Tat Rc, and 2 year old VSG's for comparison. Not trying to boast by printing that, but you were wondering what others may use for approval purposes.

What I am waiting for is the Padilla Miami (hoping its the older red label) and the Jose Seijas beli, MMMMMMM :p

I am learning a lot about how passes are done and what things others look for in equality and that's worth more than the price of admission (wait a minute, it was free to join :laugh: )Above all I am forming a bond with the BOTL's that normal posting sometiimes is a hit/miss per topic.

Dave
ps, PM your addy to me and I'll send you one for your next pass, or you can just smoke that bad boy and see if you like it ;)

Damn this thing is moving quick! :D It's interesting to watch the progression of the value of the cigars. I'm going to have an interesting pool to choose from, LOL! :laugh: It's almost as though the pass becomes more difficult as it continues, but at least I have a whole cigar shop to shop at for my puts, thankfully or I would be in trouble!

sorry about that Dan, I got carried away in my thinking and forgot it was a hypothetical situation, my bad bro' :blush: Please excuse the newbness.

When you did ask about the Shark and what I would "put", it actally stumped me as I scrambled for comparison prices. The current prices still left on the sites are really high, higher than what I paid for before and MSRP is something I have no contacts per se in vendors that would sell it to me at that price. Sooooo, I started looking in my humidor for something comparable. I found I have Davidoff Reserva 12, Casa Fuente (2 sizes), other Opus sizes from Fuente sets,Tat Rc, and 2 year old VSG's for comparison. Not trying to boast by printing that, but you were wondering what others may use for approval purposes.

What I am waiting for is the Padilla Miami (hoping its the older red label) and the Jose Seijas beli, MMMMMMM :p

I am learning a lot about how passes are done and what things others look for in equality and that's worth more than the price of admission (wait a minute, it was free to join :laugh: )Above all I am forming a bond with the BOTL's that normal posting sometiimes is a hit/miss per topic.

Dave
ps, PM your addy to me and I'll send you one for your next pass, or you can just smoke that bad boy and see if you like it ;)

Dave you are a great BOTL. Dan be careful Dave hits hard i asked for a certian cigar or two to buy or trade and bam dave sends me 4 for free and tells me to pay it forwad. a great Brother. dave if you will let me iwill take care of dan as a thank you to you if you haven't yet. just pm me the addy.

Bruddah Chester, by all means go for it! Way to PIF bro' :thumbs:

Hey Dan, look out your door I think Chester is walking down the street with your smoke. :sign:

Dave

Dave you are a great BOTL. Dan be careful Dave hits hard i asked for a certian cigar or two to buy or trade and bam dave sends me 4 for free and tells me to pay it forwad. a great Brother. dave if you will let me iwill take care of dan as a thank you to you if you haven't yet. just pm me the addy.

I've been contemplating how to respond to this since you posted it. But, other than saying thank you and telling you that your kindness is appreciated but this gesture is not necessary, I'm speechless.
:0

I do know one thing for sure, I appreciate you guys talking me out of backing out, and Dave you're right, there's something great about participating in a pass that goes beyond cigars.

Dave

I've been contemplating how to respond to this since you posted it. But, other than saying thank you and telling you that your kindness is appreciated but this gesture is not necessary, I'm speechless.

I do know one thing for sure, I appreciate you guys talking me out of backing out, and Dave you're right, there's something great about participating in a pass that goes beyond cigars.

Dan is the addy in your profile correct i will get the sticks out today or tomorrow.

Glad you decided to stay in Dan! You will see that CP is about sharing the love of the leaf with the brothers/sisters. Part of that is sometimes we give without asking for anything in return. One day you will have the opportunity to maybe help another newbie out in giving him a cigar he cannot get. That's when you can Pay it Forward or PIF!
And the cycle continues :)

That's why I like it here.

Received the pass today. I will look through it tonight and take my picks and put it in the mail after work tomorrow morning. The other pass got hijacked by a pirate....I hope this one doesn't get hijacked by Anthem ---- I mean a crackhead. :laugh:

Received the pass today. I will look through it tonight and take my picks and put it in the mail after work tomorrow morning. The other pass got hijacked by a pirate....I hope this one doesn't get hijacked by Anthem ---- I mean a crackhead. :laugh:

Glad to hear it got there alright.

Dave

Dan is the addy in your profile correct i will get the sticks out today or tomorrow.

on its way DC# 0103 8555 7497 7463 5122

Ah the love....way to play guys!

Much appreciated Los! Was great having you aboard, excellent job!

My 2 cents. It's too subjective to try to add value to rarity. It's easier to say I will trade this rare $15 smoke for that rare $15 smoke than to try to decide how much to add to it's value to trade for a more available stick.

I think this is on the money (pun...hahaha). As stated before, lets stick to the basics and trade rare for rare/value for value and keep it as close as possible on both. When participating in future passes, you'll find that rules may be bent a good bit more by allowing a non-rare higher priced stick for a rare stick. Excellent discussions all!

Daniel - These are good to go. Any others?

T: Illusione 888 Churchill 7.12
P: Ashton 8-9-8 7.14

T: C.A.O. Brazilia Samba $5.39
P: La Flor Dominicana DL-660 $6.00

on its way DC# 0103 8555 7497 7463 5122

Ok....so, after 3 days of cleaning up the rubble, I was very pleasantly surprised by Chester's generosity, but what an explosion that bomb was. Chester, you're a great BOTL, it was truly appreciated sir.

Back