• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crappy Oliva V Maduro

andy1

I fired up an Oliva V Maduro this evening. Seemed to be a shitty roll and the damn thing formed a tunnel from the very beginnning.

The last 4th of it finished OK, but I was let down seeing as how I typically am pleased with the Olivas, especially the V's.

These cigars are fantastic. I suggest giving another couple a try. I have not had that happen with any of the ones I have smoked but it happens...

I have to agree, I just had one Wednesday night and had no issues. Hopefully it is a one off occurrence.

well the first one i had had the same problem but my tunnel went almost all the way.
I have 3 more that have been sitting since they came out so I will go back and do it again, just really disappointed the first time around.

I fired up an Oliva V Maduro this evening. Seemed to be a shitty roll and the damn thing formed a tunnel from the very beginnning.

The last 4th of it finished OK, but I was let down seeing as how I typically am pleased with the Olivas, especially the V's.
What was shitty about the roll? Did it unravel? Did it split? And what is beginnning(three "n's"? :)

Specifics man, specifics.

What was shitty about the roll? Did it unravel? Did it split? And what is beginnning(three "n's"? :)

Specifics man, specifics.

The real problem was the tightness of the roll. About 2/3 of the way down the cigar, it was quite soft and loose feeling. I believe that the loose roll had an impact on the burn.

Well none of the Oliva V Maduro's that I have smoked have run into the issue you have. But I would assume that I would have the same outlook as you if mine were rolled the same. I hope you just had a fluke one.

I'll suggest give it another try man. Oliva V is my fav and sometimes Im just not in the mood for it and i find them not too good. if you find a fourth of the cigar to be good Im sure you'll end up enjoying another one.

Hmmmm, after reading about all this I decided to fire one up tonight.
One of the nicest, whitish ash I've seen, razor sharp burn, and just about halfway down the smoke disapated (sp?)slightly and low and behold a small tunnel. From the advice given here from the pro's I didn't panic, just pinched it just behind the cherry and BAM! We was smokin!
All in all, a great smoke that should make you feel better about trying the blend again.

I think these need to rest awhile. They should really improve in couple of years.

The V is one of my favorite cigars. I have not had any burn issues. Were these new? Maybe they were too wet. I find most if not all burn issue are from cigars that are too wet.
I keep mine at around 65% - 67% and have not had any issues.

Dave

Mine were stinky ROTT so I have been aging them and lighting one every 4-5 months, they are getting better.

I got 2 of these that I'm letting rest for a bit.. It's odd to hear about construction issues with Olivas.. When I smoked more NCs, the V lancero was a go to and I never had a single construction issue.. In fact, I thought Olivas were some of the best construction-wise and would expect their high-end V Maduro to be even better

I think you can run into construction problems with any cigar...even the famed Opus X which normally are constructed exquisitly. Unfortuantely, bad construction is just one of the pitfalls we have to deal with on ocassion. It blows when you are looking forward to a smoke, but you will get over it quickly enough with the next good cigar you pull of your humi.

I think these need to rest awhile. They should really improve in couple of years.

The V is one of my favorite cigars. I have not had any burn issues. Were these new? Maybe they were too wet. I find most if not all burn issue are from cigars that are too wet.
I keep mine at around 65% - 67% and have not had any issues.

Dave
My comment had nothing to do with construction. I just think this blend and wrapper will benefit from age more than most.