• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crazy week

lurch

I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
Alright... Long story short...

My Staff Sergeant is and has been weak leader since I got to this unit. He's just very unorganized and very nonchalant about what we do here. Needless to say, on Tuesday he was releived of his command. We're a smaller division than most others in the Phrog community but we still play a vital role in the operation and safety of the aircraft. Well, apparently my Maintenance Chief thinks highly of me because he saw fit to appoint me as the new Ordnance Chief. This is pretty bittersweet because now I've got my old supervisor underneath me, yet he still outranks me. I'm happy because of the promotion in billets but upset because of the position my higher echelon command has put me in.

Anyone here ever had to supervise a former boss?

Been there done that. IMO there is nothing wrong with it. If the guy is a professional NCO then he will understand it was for the betterment of the team. It's a weird situation because (in the Army anyway) you can't offically write his evaluation report, so you have no real authority over him. Mutual respect is key. I used to be in Army Aviation as a Blackhawk crewchief, and I am now in Recruiting. I didn't see situations like yours too often in Avaition, but it is very common in the Recruiting world. Enjoy the promotion, it sounds like you deserve it!

Congratulations on your promotion! Hopefully your old supervisor will understand, and act professionally.

It likely won't be the last time you will be in authority over someone senior to you. Treat him and all your men with respect. Ask his advice on matters that come up. You'll do fine. Your Chief didn't make the decision lightly.

Mike, I know what its like bro. I was recently promoted from bottom of the totem pole at work to the night shift supervisor. The guy that was right above me had been there more that twice as long as I have. Kinda odd when you have been there less than two years, and are now over people who have been there for 15 years.
B

Update:

My former boss no longer works for me. He said the wrong things to the wrong people and now he's been fully removed from Ordnance. He hasn't told me exactly what he said but apparently it was enough to give him the full boot. So, now I've got a new Staff Sergeant coming in to work for me and and a Corporal coming at the beginning of May.

To top it all off, it looks like Ordnance wasn't the only division to get turned over. The Avionics shop (electronics/ wiring etc.) lost their Staff Sergeant as well. The other Sergeant and myself were pulled into the Major's office to be told that we were the creme de la creme of Sergeant's in the squadron. As such, we're being trusted to run two vital divisions in the squadron.

He's just as excited as I am but we both still have the same bittersweet feelings...

I've been on both sides where I've switched roles with people, we've each worked for the other one. This has happened to me more than once in a series of jobs across a couple of companies. It's usually the result of somebody getting a good job and getting some other folks to come join them. Whoever goes first, the others follow.

Respect is key. You gotta give...and you gotta get.

I recently ran into an old friend of almost 20 years that I haven't seen in a while where we both have worked for each other. She looked at me and said, "Remember when you worked for me? You were a pain in the a$$." I looked right back at her and said "You were too!". We both got a good laugh.