• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Creating "humidor smell" / Using Spanish Cedar to help cigars

dcpeters

In need of some help, if possible. I researched and cannot find any logical answers. I purchased a 400ct. humidor that has two slots and a front open door and top open door. The windows on the doors are plastic. However, I am using a Cigar Oasis and it is holding humidity pretty well as I have had it since May. I didn't, however, research into Spanish Cedar at that time. I believe the interior of the unit is crap wood. It is not lined with Spanish Cedar at all, but, like I said, it is holding humidity.

I want that "Humidor Smell", though...

My question is this. Will purchasing some spanish cedar and throwing it into my humidor help to establish the cigars better and help it to smell like a humidor, over time? Will me putting the wood pieces in the humidor (not being lined) benefit the cigars at this point? I have about 150-200 cigars in there and some have been in there since last May. I have rotated and kept the humidity at a pretty good area.

Any help I can get would be great!

If having 200 cigars in there doesnt give it a "humidor smell" nothing will!

However you should be able to find some spanish cedar blocks if you look around the interwebs.

Please provide a link to the humidor you purchased so we can take a look. I belive if you buy some planking yourself and line it on your own you will get the nice aroma you are looking for but I'm surprised the cigars aren't giving it to you already. However you will need to season the new wood.

Paul

Spanish Cedar, I would guess, is the aroma you are looking to infuse into your cigars. It definately makes a humidor smell great. I have a wine-a-dor and with the exception of the back (refrigeration) panel it is completely lined with 3/8" Spanish Cedar. It smells so good when I open it to remove a smoke. I understand your desire to have it. Cigar shops will at times have small pieces of cedar they will give you, or sell at a nominal price. Rockler sells bulk Spanish Cedar, but hold on to your wallet....it's very expensive. Enjoy your journey!

Steve

On the description, it states, "Portions of the humidor are created with spanish cedar", blah,blah and it goes on about how it doesn't need to be completely lined to hold the scent. I will add, it doesn't smell bad. It smells like the cigars and has a nice aroma, but it doesn't have that cedar smell that you immediately smell when opening a humidor or going into a walk in humidor.

I bought a about a 12x6" piece from Rockler, which should give me just a few pieces I can chop up and then season and place in there to see if it helps a little bit.

Like I said, it looks like it isn't that good from the picture, but mine is sealed and does hold humidity.

0420walnut.jpg

I'm pretty sure it isn't, though. It's a very cheap humidor. I mean, you get what you pay for. It's the type you can get on E-bay and I think they take the photo like that just to con people into purchasing their cheap product. I didn't learn about it until after. However, mine isn't that bad. The plexiglass windows are secured with wood on the inside and the door closes properly. However, I soak the shelving every couple weeks, as well, but there is still no smell of spanish cedar. I can smell a mixture of cigars, but other than that, nothing. Not a big problem. Eventually, I'll get it. Then, at least I will know. You live, you learn.