• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Credit Card Fraud

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
This is nothing to do with anything here, just to clarify.  I have recently been informed I was a victim on credit card fraud, whereas at some point someone must have scanned my card for a transaction but also for their own use and made a duplicate of my card (since I still have it).  Luckily they caught it pretty fast, but as this card was near its limit anyways, nothing much for them to get after some mcdonalds and some gas, lol.

Anyways, seems this is the season for this crap to happen, so I thought it would be good to remind folks to be vigilant.  

I also thought I would ask if anyone has experience on what the next steps to take are?  The card company actually called me when they saw suspicious activity, and have since deactivated that card, as well as my online account (not sure why they did this), and I now await a fraud affidavit, a new card, and some other stuff to fill out I guess.  I have since checked all my other accounts and see no suspicious activity, and my protect my id account with experian and it too looks fine.  The protect my id thing runs out in about a week, and I wasn't planning on renewing it, but maybe I will at least until the conclusion of the current situation.

Its very odd I haven't used the card since november, but it has been used in stores, bars, online, etc.  Just odd that they have a duplicate of it I guess.  Ah well.  Any help, guidance, experience on this would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

I've had my cards breached many times, just the nature of being a hermit and doing most of my shopping online.  My primary card is Amex, and they have caught and stopped things almost in real time (I guess I'm predictable).

The three major credit bureaus are required to give you a free copy of your report once a year.  Just check one every four months.  Credit card cloning is common and easy, watch the more important things like SSN and bank passwords.

Got me too a few times. I had my bank declined any transactions out of state. Florida was the worst for me with fraud.
If I was to do a transaction out of state, I had to call my bank to unlock it for a 1 time deal, then secure it. Another help would be,
to have a "stand only" computer that you would do your banking with,pay bills, transfers ect. NO surfing the net from this one,
strictly banking with your institutions only. Just some thoughts.

Not sure where the breach was, but in 2013 my wife had her number swipped twice.  Wells Fargo debit Visa card.  They caught the fraudulent transactions quickly.  Somebody was making a purchase in Europe both times.  The bank called within a few hours to confirm.  They then cancelled her card each time.  My card has never been used in a fraudelent purchase, so someone snagged her number somewhere.  It seems that our bank account was not compromised, just her card number.

You need to be sure to change the passwords to your "sensitive" accounts and web sites immediately.  Consider PINs, too. 

Unless you know where the theft occured, you should consider it may have happened via a web purchase.  You could have a key logger on your computer.  Make sure you have a good anit-virus prigram installed.

Our experience with Wells Fargo was good on this.  In the information age, you really have to be careful.  Been using my debit card almost exclusively for a few years now.  Personally, I'm thinking of going back to cash only, using prepaid cards for internet purchases, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

This is why banks will be going to Chip & PIN cards. They'll eat the costs of fraud until it reaches a tipping point where it's cheaper to just switch.

It requires new cards and devices at every point of sale, though, so obviously no one is in a rush to do it.

I think federal law will require them at a certain point but I don't remember when that is.  After the Home Depot breach both my parents and my sister had their cards through NFCU deactivated and were given new chip cards.  None of them had any fraudulent charges or suspicious activity but the banks were using extra caution for those affected.

Well I don't know for sure as to if it was online or not, but I do find it odd that it was used in a local area nearby. To me it points at it being swiped when being used at a bar or restaurant. One of the last uses was at a local cigar bar. This particular place when buying anything other than cigars, they walk away to run your card and then return with it.

I hate to say it, but it could have happened there. As for the online stuff, all my pcs are clean, and haven't had any issues pretty much ever. I've placed a fraud alert, made a police report, and still awaiting the info from the cc company so I can file a ftc complaint.

None of my other accounts show anything suspicious, yet. But I have used probably all of my cards at one time or another at the particular place in question. Maybe I'll just have them all send out new cards.

{tpc} said:
they walk away to run your card and then return with it.
I don't look forward to getting used to this again. Here they bring the card readers to your table (or you go to the cashier) because you have to enter your PIN to approve the transaction. The card never leaves your sight.

JHolmes763 said:
This is why banks will be going to Chip & PIN cards. They'll eat the costs of fraud until it reaches a tipping point where it's cheaper to just switch.

It requires new cards and devices at every point of sale, though, so obviously no one is in a rush to do it.

Oh, you mean like they do in Europe.....