• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Crispy Boveda

jbfurdog

I've uncoverd a crispy Boveda pack in one of my drawers. I've been wanting to see what happens if I submerge it in water for a few days. My guess is it will recharge and be ready to roll since they are two way humidification I don't see how it can hurt the packaging. What do you guys think?

I just did this a few weeks ago with about 40 boveda packs. I put them in tupperware containers with distilled water ( I imagine you can also use tap if your water is fine ) I just have plenty of distilled on hand. 5 days in completely submerged and back to new. No issues with damaging the packaging. I just blotted them dry with paper towels and let them air dry for a few hours. Back in the humidor at 70% RH.
KnuboP.jpg
KnuboP.jpg

Last edited:
Don't submerge them. If they get wet, they eventually get soggy and fall apart. Instead, put 'em in a snap lock container with a small piece of sponge that's been saturated with distilled water. I use a piece of plastic so the sponge doesn't come into contact with the packs. They will re-hydrate in a few days. Works perfectly, keeps them in fine shape for months.

Don't submerge them. If they get wet, they eventually get soggy and fall apart. Instead, put 'em in a snap lock container with a small piece of sponge that's been saturated with distilled water. I use a piece of plastic so the sponge doesn't come into contact with the packs. They will re-hydrate in a few days. Works perfectly, keeps them in fine shape for months.
I usually do that. Just want to see what happens and if it might speed up the regeneration. Hadn't conciderd that they may fall apart if submerged too many times.

I've had a few fall apart even w/o submerging. I fill up those water pillow things and put them in a ziplock with the Boveda's and the Boveda's return to life just fine.

I've never submerged, and probably never would. I have had some that got, and stayed, damp on the outside. Weird. I'll also throw out there that I only recharge the same RH value packs in one container. I've noticed some will take up all the moisture while others of different values stay dry. Could have been a fluke, but it happened, nonetheless.

I think if a Bovida gets too dry, like a potato chip, they won't rehydrate. Makes good sense if you understand the chemistry and physics of what's going on.

I have a couple dozen in a snap and lock, they keep just fine with the sponge / distilled H2O trick. Nice to have for shipping or to throw in the travel humi.