• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cuba closed again

They say that about 13% of the COVID cases are due to US travelers. They are finding that the number of cases is due to parties, one guy getting 20-30 people sick. Their numbers arent alarming but Cuba traditionally does not have a hygiene culture. Don't know how many times I've been at the airport and there is no soap or running water in the bathrooms, never mind in the street. I think the approach by the government allows things to get out of hand quickly. They will require that travelers come with 72hr COVID test results as of January 10, 2021. So it looks like a temporary shutdown until that date arrives in order to slow down some of the cases. John

If anyone is going I hear that CVS is giving free COVID tests and with the lab that does it (here its Quest) there is an APP to get the results usually in 24 hours. Just print and go. John

Not sure all CVS across the country are doing them for free, so might want to check. I would highly recommend AGAINST going to the ER for a test. Work sent a bunch of us... Over $1,000 for a nasal swab and a PA, that used to be a coworker, to tell me to self monitor

Starting November 15 they say that some flights will resume normal operations. If you are vaccinated no PCR, no quarantine. Not sure but you may need a PCR to come back into the US. Looking at American's reservation system there are no flights available. A while ago the PCR was $65 and hours in line in Cuba. Purchases have to be done with gift cards and I am not sure but I think it can be in Euros, Canadian Dollars and some other currencies but not USD. In the Duty-Free, as you exit purchases can only be done in Euros or Canadian $. Not sure if they accept the gift cards. Prices have gone up significantly by 50-100%. John

Last edited:
About the prepaid card (Tarjeta prepago)...Only for foreigners visiting. It can be done at the CADECA exchange houses in amounts of $200, $500, $1000. There is a service fee of $5 for the card. It has 2 years before it expires. It can be re-loaded and that extends the expiration date. If you lose it your'e schtupped. Supposedly your name and expiration date is printed on the card. Not sure if another person can use it. Do not know if they will be asking for ID everytime you use it. Currencies that can be loaded on the card: Euro, Canadian $, Brittish Pounds, Swiss Francs, Mexican Peso, Denmark Corona, Norway Corona, Sweden Corona, Japanese Yen. Most likely Raul has banks in those assigned countries. Funny that they don't want Russian, Venezuelan, Nicaraguan, China, Arab currencies. I suggest you get one at the airport upon arrival as the lines in the city will be greater. The card cant be loaded outside the country and is useless outside of Cuba. I have also read that Cuban Customs will hold your bags if you have duties to pay and dont have the right currencies. The USD is still trading around 50:1 and as high as 65:1 on parallel markets for Cuban Pesos. The Euro is trading at 80-85:1 for Cuban Pesos. Paladares supposedly still charge in Cuban Pesos but you know they are going to be screaming for any hard currencies. John

Last edited: